• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestion: tell us where you're from

Originally posted by Kaz
Wow, Vicky, a yorkshire lady lives in Australia. Do you feel more aussie than yorkshire? It feels great to live near beaches, especially when lovely day you can go there for a lovely walk. I would love that.

Hi Kaz

I have been here since I was a child, but my mother talks about it so often that I feel like I have lived there all my life. All but one aunty still lives there (In Linthwaite and Cowlersley) and 99% of my cousins are there too. We were going to move back a couple of years ago, but the exchange rate was pretty bad, and we would have lost too much money.

From what my relatives tell me, you had an awesome summer there this year. A little touch of Aussie weather we seem to have sent to you.:D

Originally posted by Vicky
From what my relatives tell me, you had an awesome summer there this year. A little touch of Aussie weather we seem to have sent to you.:D

Yeah, this year the weather are superb!! Also this week as well!! Thanks for bring the lovely weather here!! ;)

If it was anything like the weather over here in August... I wish you hadn't sent it our way :p That was the worst month of my life, weather-wise.

I live now in Tricity, in northern Poland. It's one of the biggest towns in Poland, famous for its shipyards and being a popular holiday resort. From my windows (my block of flats is situated on a quite huge hill) I see: a forest, the city centre, the harbour and even the Baltic Sea far on the horizon. It partly compensates for a 'pleasure' of everyday climbing up the hill - especially enjoyable with the shopping.:D

Earlier, I lived in Toruń - town of Copernicus and gingerbreads.

Idun,

I suspect you have a pretty decent idea of the lay of the (Po)land, with you being Polish and all. If you don't mind, I have a question about that...

You see, my brother is going to Poland next year (by car, so distance wouldn't be an immense problem) and for the last week, we've been looking for hotels in the area of the sights he would like to see, which would be someplace between Warszawa and Kraków (moreso Kraków than Warsaw).
Problem is: we don't have any maps of Poland here (and the ones on the Internet aren't as detailed as one would like), nor do we speak Polish (a lot of Polish sites are written in Polish; and us poor tourists have a hard time finding the info we need) so we don't know the names of any of the cities in that area. Which results in us not being able to search for hotels in that area...

You wouldn't happen to be able to provide us with a bit of "inside" information, now would you? ;)

Originally posted by lies
If it was anything like the weather over here in August... I wish you hadn't sent it our way :p That was the worst month of my life, weather-wise.

If you mean the heat, I understand how you feel. I love winter in Australia, but the summers are a killer. I generally stay in my airconditioned house, car or local shopping centre.......Thank god for airconditioning...........:)

I went to Australia in your winter (July) and that was too hot for me already. Going to New South Wales wasn't all that bad, but Alice Springs was just too much. You really do have one beautiful country over there.

No, I don't mind you having a question, lies. Nevertheless, there is quite a huge space between Warsaw and Cracov. Lots of cities. It would be easier for me to help if you could tell me what exactly your brother wants to see. And what do you understand by the words 'between" Warsaw and Cracov? On the line between them?

I don't know if that helps, but some cities near Cracov (not only situated north-east from it) are: Częstochowa, Zawiercie, Katowice, Kielce, Ostrowiec Świętokrzyski, Jędrzejów, Busko-Zdrój, Miechów, Sandomierz, Tarnobrzeg, Mielec.

I'll start with looking at hotels in those cities you mentioned then, I think that will make the whole searching thing a lot easier. Thanks!

I went to Australia in your winter (July) and that was too hot for me already. Going to New South Wales wasn't all that bad, but Alice Springs was just too much. You really do have one beautiful country over there.

I couldn't stand to live in Alice Springs. I live in New South Wales (on the Central Coast, near all the beautiful beaches) and it is good in Winter, but can get really warm and humid in Summer. Some people love it, but it drains me.

Australia certainly is a beautiful place, but I love the history of Europe. Our country is still very young, and while I find the history interesting, I prefer the history of Europe. I would love to travel to some of the places, but family and money don't allow me to do it. Maybe one day............... :)

I'll start with looking at hotels in those cities you mentioned then, I think that will make the whole searching thing a lot easier. Thanks!

You're welcome!:)

Our country is still very young, and while I find the history interesting, I prefer the history of Europe. I would love to travel to some of the places, but family and money don't allow me to do it. Maybe one day............... :)

Which places in Europe would you like to visit, Vicky?

You know, I've always wanted to see the opera in Sydney. I think it's one of the most beautiful modern buildings in the world. Unfortunately, Australia is so far from here...

Vicky, I wonder have you been to New Zealand? I have seen holiday programme. It is a beautiful country.

I would love to go to Ayers Rock. It is absolutely beautiful sight.

Funny how the "grass is always greener" elsewhere.

We get lots of Australians that come here to work and visit - yet many of our young people go to Australia to do the same. In the winter, it seems half the ski resort workers here are Aussies. :)

I agree about the Sydney Opera House. The harbour with that as a back drop is absolutely stunning.

Sydney is a beautiful city, and it is even more awesome on New Years Eve when they set the fireworks off. We live about an hour out of Sydney, but it isn't somewhere I go very often. The Harbour Bridge and Opera House are great, but I often worry about terrorist hits on them now.

Kaz, I have never ben to New Zealand but it is apparently very like England. My mother has a friend she got back in touch with through a schoolfriends reunited site, and she lives over there. When we migrated we were either going to NZ or Australia, and I am happy with the choice Mam and Dad made.

Idun, I would love to go to Italy and especially Greece. I love reading about ancient history, so they seem to fit the bill pretty well. The UK would be good as well, because I was only young when we left, so I don't remember anything much about it.

Ell, you are right about the grass being greener. Lots of my friends went and did the overseas thing when they left school, and most of them loved the UK, but most of them still thought Australia took some beating when it came to lifestyle.

To all of you................what would be the one thing you love most about where you live?

The people here are very down to earth, and we are, of course, the tallest people in the world! I'm 6 foot 5, by the way :)

Cheers, Martin :D

What I like most about where I live? The sea and everything which goes with it: fresh wind in the summer, mild winter climate, healthy air, pier and boulevard for walks, long beaches, the sound of the waves breaking on the shore...To conclude: I love the seaside!

Ha! I never thought of Poland as having seaside, but then i suppose its probably got just as much as England (and probably at a lower latitude too!)

I love travelling - Canada, Australia and the USA were all absolutely terrific to visit, i really want to go to New Zealand too, as i have only been there for an hour (in Auckland airport, on a stop on the way to Sydney!)

Most of mainland Europe is good too, although there is that pesky language difference - i took my girlfriend out to a posh restaurant in Paris and she ordered what she thought was beef - ended up with a pile of raw mince! :confused:

Phil :D

Idun I'm so jealous I live in the Midlands in England and there aren't any beaches for miles :(

I absolutely love beaches I don't think you can beat a long walk along the beach to just think about things. Like Phil, I didn't think of Poland as a beach kind of place but it sounds really lovely.

The thing I most love about where I live are the long country roads and the beautiful countryside just outside the city. I've always been a city girl at heart but the sight of pollen floating through the air on a hazy summers day, with a backdrop of numerous fields and trees just makes me melt!

Originally posted by blackstar
it sounds really lovely.
It's lovely, I can assure you.;)

Actually, Poland has a seaside (with the Baltic Sea, to be more precise) which is 528 kilometers long. That gives lots of place for beaches and cliffs.

To be honest, at our latitude living at the seaside is more enjoyable during summer - in winter it's usually too cold and windy to walk on the beaches.

Phil, visiting France without knowing French can be troublesome. Let's take the Louvre for example - is there any other huge museum in the world in which the inscriptions are not translated into English? Sometimes you start to think that the French people are happy and proud of not speaking (or using) English. When I was in France, I used to eat mostly chickens - to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Back