• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestion: tell us where you're from

Idun, i visited the Louvre last year when i was in Paris, but fortunately i had been on a river cruise for lunch beforehand and was therefore rather drunk when i got there - i can highly recommend seeing the Louvre in this state as my girlfriend and i found it very enjoyable :p

I did know a little French, but unfortunately it was only enough to recognise beef, and not raw beef (admittedly it didnt actually say it was raw anyway, it was Boeuf something-or-other)

I should think the French are highly delighted that they dont speak English, especially at the moment, and are just of proud of the fact that they speak French as the English-speaking countries are that they speak English. This is all rather understandable, and helps breed a healthy nationalism on their behalf :D

Phil

Idun, I went to Paris when I was student. I was terrifed to order the food that I may dislike. Guess what my mates and I went to McDonalds for dinners!!! One thing was I enjoyed to eat chocalate mousse. The reason was I don't understand French in menu.
Paris is a beautiful city and I love to go there again. My best mermory is I end up top of the Eiffel Tower. It was magifecent view I have seen.

Originally from England, I'm now living in New Zealand, also known as Godzone, the Shaky Isles or Aotearoa. I've been naturalised and have been here for 37 years.

Check out www.windwand.co.nz for more information on my home city.

To Vicky the one thing I love about where I live is that it is China, it's different, it challenges me and makes me realize how great Canada is! Guangzhou is not the nicest city in this country....by far, but it is close to Hong Kong and Macau and the people are great and the shopping is second to none, well except in the english book department. The food is great as long as you have an open mind, ate donkey the other day.....poor Eeore.

Originally posted by Kaz
Paris is a beautiful city and I love to go there again. My best mermory is I end up top of the Eiffel Tower. It was magifecent view I have seen.

You're so lucky, Kaz! When I was near the Eiffel Tower, it was unfortunately 14th of July. Huge celebration, huge preparations. No tourists allowed on the top of the Eiffel Tower. I could only reached the first level...What an opportunity lost:(

Blessing in disguise, this evening I saw the most spectacular fireworks in my life, but standing under the Eiffel Tower.

French cuisine has an opinion of being one of the best in the world - it's a shame tourists are afraid to order what they want from a menu written in French only. I love cheese in every form, so I was amazed seeing shops which sold cheese only! A kind of paradise for me. :)

From what I managed to eat in France between one chicken and another I mostly liked onion soup and potatoes fried with cheese in a cream sausage. Delicious!

Originally posted by Idun
You're so lucky, Kaz! When I was near the Eiffel Tower, it was unfortunately 14th of July. Huge celebration, huge preparations. No tourists allowed on the top of the Eiffel Tower. I could only reached the first level...What an opportunity lost:(

Oh no, that's shame. But you never know you may go back to Paris one day. :)

Blessing in disguise, this evening I saw the most spectacular fireworks in my life, but standing under the Eiffel Tower.

Sounds great, I wish I was there!! :(

I am a resident of New Zealand. I lived in a horrible place called Hamilton for the first 20 years of my life but have recently moved to Wellington which is great :D. Although in Wellington the weather is worse... at the moment it's supposed to be spring but it's sleeting and I can see my breath inside :eek:.

Kaz, I have never ben to New Zealand but it is apparently very like England.

An England with mountains, volcanoes, fiords, glaciers... ;).

Kaz, I bought a DVD player so I could watch things with subtitles. I get left behind if I have to listen :eek:.

Originally posted by Kaz
But you never know you may go back to Paris one day. :)

I sincerely hope so!

I wonder if Paris has a facility for "making sure you'll get back there again", something like Di Trevi Fountain in Rome. Does anyone know?

Emeldir, I've got a question about animals in New Zealand, if you don't mind. In documentary films about poisonous snakes or spiders these creatures are often shown living in/going through people's gardens. The picture of a snake slithering on a child's toy is very popular. So, how do you cope with those dangerous creatures living everywhere? Can you get used to that?

Idun, you'll have to ask an Australian as there aren't actually any snakes or particularly poisonous creatures in New Zealand. Why it's probably more tame here than Poland :p.

Emeldir, sorry for my mistake. The films which I saw were actually about Australia, but, since New Zealand and Australia are close to each other (similar climate then, I suppose), I thought there are also similar animals. Next time I'll look up in an encyclopedia, before I'll ask.:eek:

I hope you'll forgive me my ignorance.:)

Idun, i dont live in Australia, but i believe that they have dedicated animal services who will come and remove dangerous creatures from around residential areas when they are spotted.

On a side note, i saw the biggest snake when i visited Australia - it was lying in the road as we drove past and i thought it was a bike tyre - until it moved! It was black, about as thick as my arm and twice as long - seriously scary snake!! :p

Dont you still have wolves in Poland anyway??

Phil

Originally posted by Emeldir

Kaz, I bought a DVD player so I could watch things with subtitles. I get left behind if I have to listen :eek:.

I am envy of you cos you got a DVD player. Hopefully by next year I will buy one. :)

I wonder if Paris has a facility for "making sure you'll get back there again", something like Di Trevi Fountain in Rome. Does anyone know?

I have no clue. Properly to me, it must be Eiffel Tower. Have you been to Place de Tertre where the artists do their art?

Emeldir, sorry for my mistake. The films which I saw were actually about Australia, but, since New Zealand and Australia are close to each other (similar climate then, I suppose), I thought there are also similar animals. Next time I'll look up in an encyclopedia, before I'll ask.

Lol, no worries :D.

Climate wise, New Zealand and Australia are different, I think because Australia is so much bigger (and a little higher up). New Zealand is colder, wetter and, as a result, much greener. We have a few animals introduced from Australia such as wallabies and possums but our natural ecosystems are very different.

Jillean said
The food is great as long as you have an open mind, ate donkey the other day.....poor Eeore.

Poor Eeyore indeed....but how did it taste? What's the most exotic thing you've had to eat in China?

Idun I think I could handle the cold weather as long as I had a lovely view of the beach!

The last time I went to Paris was when I was 17 and I had the most amazing time. I heard lots of people say it's a very racist city but I found the people really welcoming, I don't know if that's because I spoke quite a bit of French. I haven't been back since unfortunately, but hope to go back soon. phil_t let me know if you figure out that facility for making sure you get back there!

Originally posted by phil_t
Dont you still have wolves in Poland anyway??
We have. But they prefer staying in wilderness to coming to our gardens.:D

Seriously, sometimes wolves are reported to kill sheep or other domestic animals, so people are allowed to hunt for them for few months in a year. For the rest of the year, the wolves, as a species in a danger of extinction, are protected by law.

Originally posted by Kaz
Have you been to Place de Tertre where the artists do their art?

No, I haven't, unless you mean the Montmartre Hill by this name. When I had a short stroll through the Montmartre, some painters were working on the street.

Originally posted by blackstar

Idun I think I could handle the cold weather as long as I had a lovely view of the beach!

During storm the waves become very impressive. They can be even few meters tall, which leads to them pouring on the boulevard. You may then get into a mood of thinking how powerful, strong and destructive the nature can be. But, standing safely on the firm ground so far as not to get a cold shower, admiration of colourful clouds and rising water is the most probable feeling.

Emeldir, as for New Zealand greeness, it's well presented in Peter Jackson's LOTR, and also in a TV series Hercules. The landscapes shown in them are marvellous. You're lucky to live in such an incredibly beautiful surroundings.

No, I haven't, unless you mean the Montmartre Hill by this name. When I had a short stroll through the Montmartre, some painters were working on the street.

I never been to Montmartre Hill. Cos I never heard of it. :confused:

Montmartre is the highest point in Paris, which is well seen from the Eiffel Tower. It is the place where the Sacre-Coeur church is situated. At the bottom of the hill there is Moulin Rouge.

If you saw a French film "Amelie"(it had an Oscar nomination for the best not-English language film), Amelie lives at Montmartre.

Back