• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: April 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ell

This thread will close on March 1.

(Sorry for the short time-frame, but we seem to have gotten behind in the polling/voting. This should get us back on track. Feel free to re-nominate books that didn't win the polling in a previous month.)

A maximum of ten books will be put to the vote.

If more than 10 books are suggested, then books which have more than one nomination will take priority (books with three nominations get priority over books with two etc.).

The remainder will be put forward in the order they are suggested until the 10 voting slots are filled.

The Accidental Tourist
by Anne Tyler​

aimages_jp.amazon.com_images_P_0345452003.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Scarred by grief after their 12-year-old son's senseless murder (he was shot by a holdup man in a Burger Bonanza), Macon and Sarah Leary are losing their marriage too. Macon is unable to cope when she leaves him, so he settles down ``safe among the people he'd started out with,'' moving back home with two divorced brothers and spinster sister Rose. Author of a series of guidebooks called ``Accidental Tourist'' for businessmen who hate to travel, Macon is Tyler's focus here, as she gently chronicles his journey from lonely self-absorption to an ``accidental'' new life with brassy Muriel, a dog trainer from the Meow Bow Animal Hospital, who renews and claims his heart. Not a character, including Macon's dog Edward, is untouched by delightful eccentricity in this charming story, full of surprises and wisdom.

The Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The international literary sensation-a runaway bestseller in Spain, rights sold in more than 20 countries-about a boy's quest through the secrets and shadows of postwar Barcelona for a mysterious author whose book has proved as dangerous to own as it is impossible to forget.

Barcelona, 1945-just after the war, a great world city lies in shadow, nursing its wounds, and a boy named Daniel awakes on his eleventh birthday to find that he can no longer remember his mother's face. To console his only child, Daniel's widowed father, an antiquarian book dealer, initiates him into the secret of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a library tended by Barcelona's guild of rare-book dealers as a repository for books forgotten by the world, waiting for someone who will care about them again. Daniel's father coaxes him to choose a volume from the spiraling labyrinth of shelves, one that, it is said, will have a special meaning for him. And Daniel so loves the novel he selects, The Shadow of the Wind by one Julian Carax, that he sets out to find the rest of Carax's work. To his shock, he discovers that someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book this author has written. In fact, he may have the last one in existence. Before Daniel knows it his seemingly innocent quest has opened a door into one of Barcelona's darkest secrets, an epic story of murder, magic, madness and doomed love. And before long he realizes that if he doesn't find out the truth about Julian Carax, he and those closest to him will suffer horribly.

As with all astounding novels, The Shadow of the Wind sends the mind groping for comparisons-The Crimson Petal and the White? The novels of Arturo Pérez-Reverte? Of Victor Hugo? Love in the Time of Cholera?-but in the end, as with all astounding novels, no comparison can suffice. As one leading Spanish reviewer wrote, "The originality of Ruiz Zafón's voice is bombproof and displays a diabolical talent. The Shadow of the Wind announces a phenomenon in Spanish literature." An uncannily absorbing historical mystery, a heart-piercing romance, and a moving homage to the mystical power of books, The Shadow of the Wind is a triumph of the storyteller's art.

description from Amazon, link = http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-4911839-5119367?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Life Of Pi by Yann Martel

I would suggest this book because I am reading it. I dont know whether this book had already been the book of the month before, but here I go anyway :)
life-of-pi.jpg

This is one line from the book that I really liked:

EXCERPT:

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Sanyuja, "Life of Pi" was chosen for discussion in March 2003.

You can see the thread by clicking here .

You're welcome to contribute to that discussion. All our book of the month threads remain open for people to join or add to the discussions at any time.

Ell said:
Sanyuja, "Life of Pi" was chosen for discussion in March 2003.

You can see the thread by clicking here .

You're welcome to contribute to that discussion. All our book of the month threads remain open for people to join or add to the discussions at any time.
Oops!! Sorry Ell. I guess I am too new here. I will make sure to look at older threads before posting :)

Glen Duncan's "I, Lucifer"

I, Lucifer sounds good.

FROM THE PUBLISHER (Grove/Atlantic, Inc.)
"The Prince of Darkness has been given one last shot at redemption, provided he can live out a reasonably blameless life on earth. Highly sceptical, naturally, the Old Dealmaker negotiates a trial period - a summer holiday in a human body, with all the delights of the flesh." "The body, however, turns out to be that of Declan Gunn, a depressed writer living in Clerkenwell, interrupted in his bath mid-suicide. Ever the opportunist, and with his main scheme bubbling in the background, Luce takes the chance to tap out a few thoughts - to straighten the biblical record, to celebrate his favourite achievements, to let us know just what it's like being him." Neither living nor explaining turns out to be as easy as it looks. Beset by distractions, miscalculations and all the natural shocks that flesh is heir to, the Father of Lies slowly begins to learn what it's like being us.

Haven't read it; heard good things. ;)

I have a few:

My #1: Op Center (kinda old)
My #2: A game of Thrones
Reccomended to me (and sounds excellent): The DaVinci Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back