• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: August book of the month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ell

This thread will close on June16.

A maximum of ten books will be put to the vote.

If more than 10 books are suggested, then books which have more than one nomination will take priority (books with three nominations get priority over books with two etc.).

The remainder will be put forward in the order they are suggested until the 10 voting slots are filled.

'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince'
J.K. Rowling

5njasg

Adult edition :D of course

Diotallevi said:
Shouldn't we actually read the book of the month first?

Just a thought...
This thread is just for nominating books to vote on for the August 2005 book of the month. We're always 1 - 2 months ahead for nominations and voting.

The actual book of the month for June is Little Big by John Crowley. So far, no one has posted to the Little Big discussion, but that's often the case - i.e. it takes awhile for people to get around to it.

We have a pretty loose system here for book of the month. No set time-frame for discussion, no leader or set discussion questions. Anyone can join in at any time. We have books from last year that are still being discussed.

:) What about a Book that's a little unusual ?

' 253 ' by Geoff Ryman

A Bakerloo tube train with no-one standing and no empty seats can carry 252 passengers. The driver makes 253. Each one has a page devoted to them, divided into three sections - what they look like, what they are thinking and inside information - and some of them are going to die. :eek:

5ovx8j

Besides being a book, Its an online interactive novel to.....
See link below

http://www.ryman-novel.com/

Delta_doh! said:
:) What about a Book that's a little unusual ?

Or even *vaguely* intellectually stimulating, let alone written for, you know, post-pubescent folks….

I’ve been meaning to offer forth the idea for a potential 2 separate book clubs for some time, so I guess now’s a time as good as any.

I have yet to take part in a monthly read due to the underwhelming enthusiasm I have for what gets voted in. [Although Eco would be a good pick, which is now in the running or July, but seeing Sidney bloody Sheldon is a mere 2 votes behind him is scary and unsettling] …
So maybe a ‘best seller-ish’ reading group can split out into a separate group and a more ‘you may not have read this is you didn’t hear about it here’ -which *is* the purpose of such things- group can have those that are interested participate. And of course those that are interested in both, as 2 books a month is not that much of a challenge for many posters on here.

Thoughts?

j

I think its fine as it is, :) I'm quite happy, everyone can put forward a book of their choice any book, and the one with most votes is it.. then we read it if we want to...simple! If I don't know a book that's put forward I look it up...
Besides be a lot more work for someone :eek:

Or am I missing the point made by J :confused:

Oh well we will have to have a vote on it :D

I vote like it just as it is!

Erica said:
Besides be a lot more work for someone :eek:
... which, at the moment, would be me! ;)

Jay, I can understand your frustration, but I don't know that having two separate books would help. There's also the problem of deciding which books would go in which category. (my eyebrows have been raised a few times at what's been nominated too, but it's not my job to pass editorial judgment on what the members put forward). However, I'll pass the idea on to Darren and the other mods.

Looking back at the books that have made it to Book of the Month, I'd say there's been an interesting range and cross-section of titles. It reflects a large and diverse membership.

Meanwhile, just nominate what you'd like and try to drum up some support by providing a description/review of the book you'd like discussed. I can't think of a better system at the moment.

ell

Erica said:
I think its fine as it is, :) I'm quite happy, everyone can put forward a book of their choice any book, and the one with most votes is it.. then we read it if we want to...simple!

Simple. Yes. Effective in getting more than a few people involved? No. Not by a long shot.

Or am I missing the point made by J

Well, more like likely those interested in pap like Harry P are going to read it anyway, and I, for the life of me, can’t really seeing much of an engaging conversation coming from such...
Anyway, my underlying point is that there doesn’t seem to be too many people participating in the readings.

Ell said:
... which, at the moment, would be me! ;)

[more work]
I’d be happy to help out with behind the scenes things if you need a hand…

Ell said:
... Meanwhile, just nominate what you'd like and try to drum up some support by providing a description/review of the book you'd like discussed.

I’ve refrained from nominating anything because undoubtedly it will be just one of the 6-8 nominees that garners 1 or 2 votes.
Maybe with such a small population a voting of 10 candidates is bit too much? A smaller selection will, maybe, enforce a more judgmental thinking process?
I mean the last several polls (if not all of them) have nominees listed that haven’t/hadn’t even received votes from their nominators.
With a smaller selection there may be more of a competition as opposed to ‘well, I’ll vote for this cuz everyone else seems to be’.
And/or maybe have the results blind until the poll closes?

Just some thoughts…
j

Jay
My Children now love reading because of 'Harry Potter Books'
+ What book has ever given the children a party the day they pick it up! :D

After all tomorrows writers are todays children :)
So Jay please don't Put the book down ....

I will buy & read it to (Adult copy) ;) so I can share my Childrens excitment!!!!

I also read a wide range of books, which this fantastic forum always covers.

Why not put a book forward? would make your point & we may vote for it.

Erica said:
What book has ever given the children a party the day they pick it up!

Probably any book that parents teach them to read. I wasn’t aware parenting now needed the help of the media.
Years ago that was called brainwashing.
No wonder we’re devolving.

But I’m not talking about the kids here…

Tomorrow will undoubtedly be a dark, dark day. But heavily marketed.

I’d only pick it up to put it down if there is a glowing bonfire nearby.

I will buy & read it to (Adult copy) ;) so I can share my Childrens excitment!!!!

While I do understand the ‘bonding’ some parents have seemingly achieved with their children over this badly written phase, I’m lost as to why you (and legions of others) have to purchase another copy, let alone an (holding back dry heaves) “adult copy” (with the “children’s copy” deleted swear words and Harry’s first encounter with masturbation restored, I imagine?)…

I also read a wide range of books, which this fantastic forum always covers. [/I]

No doubt, we all need ‘beach reading’ from time to time. Most don’t get all giddy about it though.

I think my above explanation makes pretty strong sense. The numbers just don’t add up.

j
Who is waiting for an “adult copy” of _Green Eggs and Ham_...

Erica said:
Jay
My Children now love reading because of 'Harry Potter Books'
+ What book has ever given the children a party the day they pick it up! :D

I also read a wide range of books, which this fantastic forum always covers.

Spot on Erica :)

I'm 50 +++ And also very happy with this forum, and the great content it covers

jay said:
No doubt, we all need ‘beach reading’ from time to time. Most don’t get all giddy about it though.

I think my above explanation makes pretty strong sense. The numbers just don’t add up.

I might be missreading you here, but I think your attitude is really elitest and unfortunate. Frankly, I hated the book for May, something I made very clear in the discussion. I did not, however, act like a shit toward the person who suggested it or the people who chose to vote for it. The reality is that nobody in this little part of the forum cares what you want to read, or what I want to read either. They care about what the group as a whole wants to read. As far as I'm concerned, any person who doesn't suggest a book for the group really has no right to complain about what is chosen.

The majority of The Book Forum is about books. If you don't like the book that gets chosen one month, there are millions of others out there that you can read and post about elsewhere on the forum. There are also hundreds of monthly book clubs online. If you don't like the books chosen here, I am sure you can find a club that meets your expectations.

As far as not getting enough interest here, I think you are wrong. This is a small part of the forum, which is only used by a portion of us. If it were to be used by everyone who comes to the forum I'm sure it would be as chaotic, and hard to follow as some of the threads in the Fiction section. Also, I'm willing to bet that there are a bunch of people here that read the monthly book and don't want to talk about it or don't feel they can express themselves well enough to do so. For some, it is just enough to read the book and just see what others thought about it. I'd say that's a matter of individual choice. I doubt looking at post counts in the discussions will give you an accurate picture of who reads the chosen books.

Now...In an effort to get this thread BACK ON TRACK...my mom just finished The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty. She really enjoyed it and it sounds good to me.

mehastings said:
I might be missreading you here, but I think your attitude is really elitest and unfortunate.

Misreading, misinterpreting, not quite comprehending…I’ve been called worse.
Logic is unfortunate. Curious…

Frankly, I hated the book for May, something I made very clear in the discussion. I did not, however, act like a shit toward the person who suggested it or the people who chose to vote for it.

Frankly, conversation of any kind, and certainly about books, is not always about “loving” something. In general a good, informed critique can be far more interesting (for all involved) than…the usually rubbish.

The reality is that nobody in this little part of the forum cares what you want to read, or what I want to read either.

The reality is, and I assure you I never step outside the circle of such, is that nowhere, let alone another section of the forum should anyone care what I/you/etc want to read.

They care about what the group as a whole wants to read.

???
I believe the individual’s vote is probably moreso cast for the individual (or do you have some secret ‘electoral vote’ here?).
Although as I alluded, seeing something with an already high tally will probably sway the voter to just go with that, as voting for a book that is x number of votes behind is deemed as ‘unsafe’. Which I think a blind system would be a thought considered to be reasonable.

As far as I'm concerned, any person who doesn't suggest a book for the group really has no right to complain about what is chosen.

A half-assed theory, at best. And while I may occasionally contradict myself [insert Emerson quote here] I will not add to the list when I am already on the record as saying 10 is too many. Even the most unperceptive can look back and see that some do not even get 1 vote, which makes absolutely no sense.

The majority of The Book Forum is about books.

All the more striking that not many participate in the monthly reads. Hence, my offering some suggestions that may potentially bring in some fresh blood.
I didn’t mean to squirt on a little private club or stir the waters for those still wearing inner-tubes. I just kind thought, ‘hmmm, on a book forum, more people talking books, wow, neato, that might be a nifty idea’.

I doubt looking at post counts in the discussions will give you an accurate picture of who reads the chosen books.

Hmmm, maybe your invisible friends that read the books but don’t post _may_ post if the conversations are a bit more to their liking? Nearly everyone can be prompter to their opinion, there just needs to be an open door.

Anyway, forget I said anything. File it under “Change is Bad and Scary!”.
Carry on,
j

Hi,
Can we suggest non-fiction books here?

If so and if you liked the Da Vinci Code, then how about:

Rosslyn: Guardian of the Secrets of the Holy Grail?

Book Description
The first book to explore the significance of seven pre-Christian sites, which formed the route of a pilgrimage taken by the Druids, the Knights Templar and Christian mystics in their search for ultimate enlightenment.

Wow... I can't even begin to comment on what you said Jay. I'm not sure if it is the way you are expressing yourself or you truly do mean to be demeaning to the other forum members, but please do try to respect others and their reading tastes.

As to the August book, I second Delta's recommendation of London by Edward Rutherfurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back