• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: August book of the month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanessa2 said:
Hi,
Can we suggest non-fiction books here?

If so and if you liked the Da Vinci Code, then how about:

Rosslyn: Guardian of the Secrets of the Holy Grail?

Book Description
The first book to explore the significance of seven pre-Christian sites, which formed the route of a pilgrimage taken by the Druids, the Knights Templar and Christian mystics in their search for ultimate enlightenment.

I'm sure we can suggest non - fiction? can't see why not :)

Not many books put forward this month as yet! Guess lots on Hols

So will add another, if that's ok?
My other half has been raving about this book....

'The Memory of Running' by Ron McLarty

I just want somebody to talk about Kazuo Ishiguro with me. I guess I'll wander off to the "Authors" thread.

But someday can we please read Never Let Me Go?

jay said:
‘hmmm, on a book forum, more people talking books, wow, neato, that might be a nifty idea’.
I myself don't really see the need for a Book of the Month (let alone two!) on a book forum, especially since you're more than free to start threads on specific authors and books yourself, if and when you feel like discussing them. People that want to reply, will reply, whether the book is a BOTM or a "regular" book.

Jay, Erica, and Haywood Lad,

I think kids reading may be good for the future of reading in general, but only if it is reading they love and not simply talking about the one book all their friends are reading? Perhaps they'll outgrow reading at the same moment they outgrow fantacies of magic. I'm not asking to imply an answer, but I think it will take some time before I'm willing to have a parade for the Harry Potter books to honour their improving literacy; only time will tell if the urge to read carries over into other books once they've had their fill of one particular set of characters. More on topic, I recomend Candide by Voltaire as a book of the month. Everyone likes to throw around the guy's name when they're trying to sound smart, but I think few realize just how interesting a narrative he puts forth. It's a brief enough read that you can get through it while soaking up the sun, but has enough to it that it can be looked way into, if doing so tickles your fancy. Or is Voltaire too pretentious sounding a recomendation? Seems I likely missed the boat anyhow.

Token_BS_Name said:
I think kids reading may be good for the future of reading in general, but only if it is reading they love and not simply talking about the one book all their friends are reading? Perhaps they'll outgrow reading at the same moment they outgrow fantacies of magic.

There is *no* substance to the implied message behind the theory that this is launching millions of children to literacy.
This is a fad, and generally not much good comes from fads.

Every generation pretty much has something like this happen, we just never had blatant propaganda, over-saturating merchandising and promotions before. Nor CNN pushing the shit.
A few years ago, and I work with some pretty intelligent people (well, scientifically at least), when they were all getting excited about the Lord of the Wrings flick(s) many of them claimed they “loved” the books and “read them repeatedly when [they] were children”. I asked, not at all in a smart-ass way, what reading had they continue on with.
“Nothing” and “not much” were the general answers.
The two people here (at work) I talk books with were not graduates of Hobbit’esque stuffs.

Stephen King does *not* promote literacy. Writers he has mentioned in interviews and writers he himself have published are out of print. People just “wait for the next King”.

The sheep grazing over _The da Vinci Code_ will not be hitting the local Barnes & Noble because reading was such a pleasurable experience. They’ll wait for the movie.

Harry Potter is a gateway to more video games, more Hollywood and more (eventual) television.
Stop fooling yourself.

And saying “at least kids are reading” is about as insightful as noting an alcoholic that prefers a splash of orange juice in his vodka is “at least getting his vitamins”.

Or is Voltaire too pretentious sounding a recomendation?

Not at all, but looking at the poll for August I think your nomination will end up losing to something like _Charlotte’s Web_...

Token_BS_Name said:
More on topic, I recomend Candide by Voltaire as a book of the month. Everyone likes to throw around the guy's name when they're trying to sound smart, but I think few realize just how interesting a narrative he puts forth. It's a brief enough read that you can get through it while soaking up the sun, but has enough to it that it can be looked way into, if doing so tickles your fancy. Or is Voltaire too pretentious sounding a recomendation? Seems I likely missed the boat anyhow.

You missed the boat for August but why don't you recommend it for September? (and keep your fingers crossed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back