• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions for a 9 year old

My son hates to read and when he was 9 the only books I could get him interested in were the books where you decide what happens next and go to the corresponding page. Goosebumps has a lot of them, luckily. I think we went through them all. He also thought the regular Goosebumps stories were boring. :p

Goosebumps

My 9 year old step son loved Goosebumps by RL Stine. That Bunicula one, about the rabbit that was a vampire made me laugh, just the thought of it, though I never read one of the books.

I just now searched and found this one link, that mentions goosebumbs. Perhaps it will have something else helpful

http://fredtalk.fredericksburg.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=547146&Main=513541

I read lots of horros sci-fi in the early 60's, but I think a lot of it is out of print now. I had to special order one paperback that I was very fond of, with horror stories. It was Bypass to Otherness by Henry Kuttner.

I love Robert Heinline (spelling?) but one could not exactly call them horror. More like sci-fi.

I also used to love the Goosebumps books when I was little.. I was addicted to them :rolleyes:

I would also suggest The Witches by Roald Dahl. Old people freaked me out for a while after that one.. I was always trying to spot the ones that wore wigs and had square feet :D

~MonkeyCatcher~

You could also try a collection of short stories, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz. I liked them when I was about that age and the stories are suspenseful, but clean. There are two or three other books with Scary Stories titles.

Sitaram said:
I love Robert Heinline (spelling?) but one could not exactly call them horror. More like sci-fi.
Robert Anson Heinlein wrote terrifying scenarios such as a America becoming a theocratic dictatorship or go down to nuclear war and reinstitute slavery. But it's not exactly horror.

It's been so many months now that the nine year old might not even be nine anymore but I'll still make a suggestion since I'm such a nice person.

I suggest 'The Metamorphosis' (Die Verwandlung) by Franz Kafka.

tradwork said:
I would suggest S. King's "IT", not too young for 9. Right? "IT" freaked me out when I was a kid.
Maybe the movie, but the novel is 1100 pages long, and has some pretty harse language and a few "explicit" scenes.

Motokid, are you worried about foul language?

How about some Poe short stories? Or some other old school horror, like H.P. Lovecraft, or Mary Shelly? If she's interested in horror, why not start her with the best?

sirmyk said:
How about some Poe short stories?

Yes! I started reading Poe when I was in third grade. I'm thinking that's about nine. The stories are scary, but not too scary. Plus, they've got no profanity that I can remember.

Back