• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: July Book of the Month **Themed Month - "Beach Reads"**

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehastings

Suggest a book for the July Book of the Month.

What will you be reading on the beach or by the pool this summer?

Here is your chance to discuss the latest mass market thriller, or a recent chick lit bestseller. Book suggestions should be something a little lighter than our typical BotM suggestions.

The Hard Way (Jack Reacher Novels) by Lee Child

aec1.images_amazon.com_images_I_51TXY2T2AVL._SS500_.jpg

In bestseller Child's 10th novel to feature ex-army MP Jack Reacher (after 2005's One Shot), a sidewalk cafe encounter in New York City plunges Reacher into one of his most challenging—and thoroughly engrossing—adventures to date. Acting out of "reflex and professional curiosity" (and the promise of a generous fee), Reacher agrees to help sinister ex-army officer Edward Lane, whose posse of six Special Forces veterans are even more ominous than he, track down his kidnapped daughter and trophy wife. Since the kidnapping of wife number one five years earlier ended in her death, Lane cautions Reacher that he will not brook police interference ("You break your word, I'll put your eyes out"). From Lane's quarters in the West Side's venerable Dakota apartment building to the shady sections of SoHo and Greenwich Village, the author's atmospheric descriptions make Manhattan a leading player, with menace lurking at every intersection. The inevitable showdown, on a farm outside a tiny English village, ranks as one of Child's most thrilling finales.

All right, I'll make a suggestion here. I found a book at the bottom of my closet last night. Just looking at the cover, it seemed like something you would read at the beach.

Watermelon by Marian Keyes

From the Publisher

February the fifteenth is a very special day for me. It is the day I gave birth to my first child. It is also the day my husband left me...I can only assume the two events weren't entirely unrelated.

Claire has everything she ever wanted: a husband she adores, a great apartment, a good job. Then, on the day she gives birth to their first baby, James informs her that he's leaving her. Claire is left with a newborn daughter, a broken heart, and a postpartum body that she can hardly bear to look at.

She decides to go home to Dublin. And there, sheltered by the love of a quirky family, she gets better. So much so, in fact, that when James slithers back into her life, he's in for a bit of a surprise.

Here's another (I can see them sitting next to each other on my shelf) for those folks out there who can't handle the idea of a girly book.

Tourist Season by Carl Hiaasen

From the Publisher
The only trace of the first victim was his Shriner's fez washed up on the Miami Beach. The second victim, the head of the city's chamber of commerce, was found dead with a toy alligator lodged in his throat. And that was just the beginning ...

Now Brian Keyes, reporter turned private eye, must move from muckraking to rooting out murder ... in a caper that will mix football players, politicians, and police with a group of anti-development fanatics and a very, hungry crocodile.

How about Sam's Letters To Jennifer by James Patterson?

Book Description:

James Patterson's #1 New York Times bestseller combines two unforgettable love stories in a novel that's impossible to put down. Jennifer returns to the resort village where she grew up to help her ailing, beloved grandmother-and ends up experiencing not one but two of the most amazing love stories she's ever known. The first is completely unexpected. In a series of letters that Jennifer finds, her grandmother reveals that she has concealed a huge secret for decades: Her great love is not the man she was married to for all those years. And then comes the biggest surprise of all: Just when she thought she could never love again, Jennifer finds herself caught up in the greatest flight of exhilaration she's ever known. But just as unexpectedly, she learns that this new love comes with an unbearable cost. Jennifer doesn't think she can survive the pain-but the letters she's been reading make her think that love may help her find a way.

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

From the Publisher:

Rebecca Bloomwood just hit rock bottom. But she''s never looked better....

Becky Bloomwood has a fabulous flat in London''s trendiest neighborhood, a troupe of glamorous socialite friends, and a closet brimming with the season''s must-haves. The only trouble is that she can''t actually afford it—not any of it.

Her job writing at Successful Savings not only bores her to tears, it doesn''t pay much at all. And lately Becky''s been chased by dismal letters from Visa and the Endwich Bank—letters with large red sums she can''t bear to read—and they''re getting ever harder to ignore.

She tries cutting back; she even tries making more money. But none of her efforts succeeds. Becky''s only consolation is to buy herself something ... just a little something....

Finally a story arises that Becky actually cares about, and her front-page article catalyzes a chain of events that will transform her life—and the lives of those around her—forever.

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby:

In his fourth novel, New York Times-bestselling author Nick Hornby mines the hearts and psyches of four lost souls who connect just when they've reached the end of the line.

Meet four people who ended up in London on the same roof on New Year's Eve -- Martin, JJ, Jess, and Maureen: a former TV talk show host, a musician, a teenage girl, and a mother. Three are British, one is American -- where they have all come to commit suicide.

Bonded by their shared misery, the unlikely quartet spends the night together, telling their stories, getting on each others' nerves even as they save each others' lives.

Intense, hilarious, provocative, and moving, A Long Way Down is a novel about suicide that is, surprisingly, full of life.

I liked A Long Way Down, but I'm also curious about the James Patterson one.

I've read it. The best thing I can compare it to is Nicholas Sparks. Patterson wrote two of these "sappy lovey" novels. I liked the other one better. Despite this, I would say that it is the perfect suggestion for a beach read. In fact, that I read those books on a weekend spent at the beach swapping books back and forth with one of my girlfriends.

I nominate The Amalgamation Polka by Stephen Wright:

Publisher's Weekly said:
Starred Review. The author of the Vietnam classic Meditation in Green (1983) here channels Liberty Fish, a fictional member of a real, still-prominent upstate New York family, for a gruesome Civil War picaresque à la Candide. Roxana Maury, the daughter of Carolinian slaveholders, turns against the "peculiar institution," disowns her parents, Asa and Ida and marries northerner Thatcher Fish, who shares her abolitionism. Their son Liberty is born in 1844, and his liberal education is enhanced by his parents, and the oddball metaphysicians and charlatans with whom they surround themselves. When war breaks out, Liberty joins up, participates in a series of horrific battles, deserts and travels South to his mother's ancestral home, Redemption Hall. There, he finds his grandfather, Asa, practicing ghastly homicidal experiments with his slaves. As Union forces approach, Asa abandons his invalid wife and more or less kidnaps Liberty, and the two ship aboard a blockade runner, bound for Nassau. Liberty functions more as Gump than protagonist, and ultimately learns Candide-like lessons through similarly unlikely adventures. Roxana's background and the (unconnected) doings of a curious Uncle Potter in Kansas occupy a large portion of the story; the grotesque piles on top of the macabre in depicting slavery; highly humorous banter flows throughout. This book, rich in an appropriately fatuous, overblown period style, is the morbidly comic counterpoint to Doctorow's The March.

It hits paperback in June, just in time for July's BotM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back