• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: July book of the month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ell

This thread will close on June 1.

A maximum of ten books will be put to the vote.

If more than 10 books are suggested, then books which have more than one nomination will take priority (books with three nominations get priority over books with two etc.).

The remainder will be put forward in the order they are suggested until the 10 voting slots are filled.

I just finished reading 'The Club Dumas' by Arturo Pérez-Reverte and I would love to discuss it with other people. I really enjoyed this novel and it's left me with a lot of unanswered questions.

Kookamoor said:
I just finished reading 'The Club Dumas' by Arturo Pérez-Reverte and I would love to discuss it with other people. I really enjoyed this novel and it's left me with a lot of unanswered questions.

I was just reading about this book elsewhere on the Forum and thinking about wanting to read it. I second.

If you would all be so willing as to listen to someone new here...
I'm very much looking forward to reading Umberto Eco's new novel, The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana. Would that interest anyone else? I know Stewart is a big Eco fan, as I am.

Adso de Fimnu said:
I'm very much looking forward to reading Umberto Eco's new novel, The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana.

I had no idea its release was so soon. June 6th. Excellent.

A Short History Of Tractors In Ukrainian - Marina Lewycka

Haven'y read it yet, but seen some good reviews.

Cabrasopa :cool:

'The Double' by Jose Saramago

What happens when Tertuliano Maximo Afonso, a 38-year-old professor of history, discovers that there is a man living in the same city who is identical to him in every physical detail, but not related by blood at all.
And what happens when each of these men attempt to investigate each other's lives? How do we know who we are? What do we mean by identity? What defines us as individual, unique people? Could we ever come to terms with the existence of another person with our voice, our features, our everything, down to the smallest distinguishing mark? Could we change places with our double without those closest to us noticing?
Dark yet comic, Jose Saramago's new novel can be read as an existential thriller, but it is above all a work of literature that immerses us in the essential questions of life. It is certain to become a 21st-century classic.

:)

Sidney Sheldon - master of the game

Kate Blackwell is one of the world's most powerful women and the daughter of a diamond prospector who struck it rich beyond his wildest dreams

The extravagant celebrations of her ninetieth birthday include toasts from a Supreme Court judge and a telegram from the white house

But for Kate there are ghosts. Ghosts of absent friends and absent enemies. Ghosts from a life of blackmail and deceit and murder. Ghosts from an empire spawned by naked ambition...

I'm right in the middle of "Reading Lolita in Tehran", and it's really like reading six books at once. If it has been (or is being) discussed elsewhere, I'll happily go talk about it there, but I'd love to see it chosen as the book of the month sometime.

"Reading Lolita" is quite amazing -- fascinating, well written, full of information about great literature, and extremely timely. (Lolita is in actuality only a minor character in this book, but what a great title.)

You know how they used those sensational (if tawdry) photos of Sue Lyon to promote Kubrick's classic film? Well, somebody has used the same tactic to get our attention for this great book.

For the second time, the prize behind the door is even superior to what was promised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back