• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: November Book of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehastings

Hey everyone. Sorry for the slight backup here. Please notice that suggestions will be taken for nine days only so that we still have time to vote before November 1!

Thread will close November 20.

A maximum of ten books will be put to the vote.

If more than 10 books are suggested, then books which have more than one nomination will take priority (books with three nominations get priority over books with two etc.)

The remainder will be put forward in the order they are suggested until the 10 voting slots are filled.

Alright, I'll make a suggestion or two.

1) The Portrait of Dorian Gray - It is in my TBR pile and I would love to have other's read it as well.

2) The Way The Crow Flies by Ann Marie MacDonald- My current read. So far it has been extremely enjoyable. I know a few others here have read it already, and I think others may enjoy ti as well.

Reserve a space for me, for the winner of the Nobel Prize for literature announced later this week. If it's a poet, however, forget it.

I just received my annotated copy of Lolita. Seems as if some of you wouldn't mind reading that one again.

(And we wouldn't actually have to go to Tehran to do it...)

How about The Sea by John Banville? It just won the Booker Prize so now I'm interested :p

Scottishduffy said:
The Way The Crow Flies by Ann Marie MacDonald- My current read. So far it has been extremely enjoyable. I know a few others here have read it already, and I think others may enjoy ti as well.
How about Fall on Your Knees rather than this one, seeing as how FOYK is the prequel to TWTCF? Just a suggestion :)

mehastings said:
So am I, but it isn't available in the US right now. :(
Ah, sorry I wasn't aware of this. I just noticed that my library had it, so I guessed that it must be out in the major countries by now. I guess we had better scratch that suggestion then :eek:

MonkeyCatcher said:
How about Fall on Your Knees rather than this one, seeing as how FOYK is the prequel to TWTCF? Just a suggestion :)

I never knew one was a prequel to the other. Sure, why not. If I enjoy this one so much I am sure I will enjoy the other as well. Either book is fine with me. Of course, the fact I already own TWTCF makes me partial to that. :D

Stewart said:
Reserve a space for me, for the winner of the Nobel Prize for literature announced later this week. If it's a poet, however, forget it.
So which of Pinter's works are you going to nominate?

Scottishduffy said:
I never knew one was a prequel to the other. Sure, why not. If I enjoy this one so much I am sure I will enjoy the other as well. Either book is fine with me. Of course, the fact I already own TWTCF makes me partial to that. :D

um....no it's not. They're totally seperate books, the only thing they really share is an author. I'm secondly The Way the Crow Flies. I'd like to read it again actually.

Prairie_Girl said:
um....no it's not. They're totally seperate books, the only thing they really share is an author. I'm secondly The Way the Crow Flies. I'd like to read it again actually.
Ah, sorry :eek: I got the impression that it was a prequel. My bad.

nope, totally different stories, there's some similar threads like
lesbianism
and sexual abuse (not giving anything away there am i?).

Prairie_Girl said:
nope, totally different stories, there's some similar threads like
lesbianism
and sexual abuse (not giving anything away there am i?).
Possibly, I'm not too sure. Better to be safe than sorry, if you'll excuse the cliche ;)

I don't know if it's been suggested before, but I'd like to suggest Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 2004, it sounds like an interesting read - and is currently near the top of my 'books to read next' pile which always helps :)

Nakmeister,
I second your suggestion.
Cloud Atlas is an excellent book and contains within itself the most overwhelming and sobering view of Earth in the far distant future that I have ever read.
Peder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back