• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: October 2007 Author of the Month: John Irving

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehastings

Please nominate books by John Irving. All of his books are eligible for discussion, but we'll vote on a few "suggested reads" for folks unfamiliar with the author or unable to read more than one book in time for the discussion.

As always, please post descriptions. Suggestion period to end July 15.

I'm looking forward to this one. I had to flip a coin to decide whether to vote for Irving or Updike.

I nominate The World According to Garp. I think it is one of Irving's better known works, and folks who are interested could comment on how sucessful the film adaptation was. According to wikipedia,
The World According to Garp is John Irving's fourth novel. Published in 1978, the book was a bestseller for years.

A movie adaptation starring Robin Williams was released in 1982.

From the Publisher
The World According to Garp is a comic and compassionate coming-of-age novel that established John Irving as one of the most imaginative writers of his generation. A worldwide bestseller since its publication in 1978, Irving's classic is filled with stories inside stories about the life and times of T. S. Garp, novelist and bastard son of Jenny Fields--a feminist leader ahead of her time. Beyond that, The World According to Garp virtually defies synopsis.

Well, since I just bought The Cider House Rules, I'm nominating that. Selfish, I know.

And I suppose that covers his big three, in terms of renown.

The Cider House Rules is my favorite of John Irving's, so that gets my nomination!

Cider House Rules

9897015.jpg

I nominate - The Hotel New Hampshire
The Hotel New Hampshire is a 1981 coming of age novel by John Irving.

Since I have watched the movie and would like to read the book, I would like to nominate "The Cider House Rules" as well.

I'll second The Hotel New Hampshire, because it's the only on this list I haven't read.

A Widow for One Year is good, too. Surprised nobody has nominated that.

The World according to Garp would be my choice - I haven't got round to reading it yet so this would be my incentive.

I have A Prayer For Owen Meany and The Cider House Rules on my TBR shelf so I'll read each of those as I've been meaning to ever since I finished The World According to Garp about a year ago (I really liked it).

Has anyone read Son Of The Circus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back