• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: October book of the month

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to add one for Palindrome Hannah to support the 'local' guy and it sounds interesting but I'm not sure I can get it up here in the Great White North. Not able to order online. No CC. I'll see if the local store can get me one, they're usually pretty good at sourcing the harder to find.

Regardless if I can get Palindrome Hannah or not I do think we should do something in the Horror/Suspense genre to be in the spirit of the month. I can't think of anything offhand though.

'The Stand' (The Complete and Uncut Edition)
~Stephen King

An end-of-the-world scenario: a rapidly mutating flu virus is accidentally released from a U.S. military facility and wipes out 99 and 44/100 percent of the world's population, thus setting the stage for an apocalyptic confrontation between Good and Evil. :eek:

........................................................................................................

ions said:
Regardless if I can get Palindrome Hannah or not I do think we should do something in the Horror/Suspense genre to be in the spirit of the month. I can't think of anything offhand though.
If you find you can't order a copy, you can purchase one directly from me. Just PM an address and I'll send you a copy.

Delta_doh! said:
'The Stand' (The Complete and Uncut Edition)
~Stephen King
I'm sure that jay will be glad to second that choice ;)

sirmyk said:
If you find you can't order a copy, you can purchase one directly from me. Just PM an address and I'll send you a copy.
I'm having a little trouble with Amazon - does that offer stand for international post as well? Pretty please :D

MonkeyCatcher

MonkeyCatcher said:
I'm having a little trouble with Amazon - does that offer stand for international post as well? Pretty please :D
Well... since you said "pretty please." PM me for more information.

This whole Forum is getting more & more like a school playground every day.
Seems its getting less to do with books & more to do with bullies.

Shame was such a friendly Forum Once!

JMS said:
This whole Forum is getting more & more like a school playground every day.
Seems its getting less to do with books & more to do with bullies.

Shame was such a friendly Forum Once!

Sorry if you feel you were ‘bullied’ to read that entirely over-long, hardly well crafted book you are now flipping through.
Oddly enough, even though there are a lot of horror and fantasy/SF fans here, I don’t believe anyone has yet figured out how to force someone, especially over the internet, to read a book. [I’ve just copyrighted the idea though, so piss off S. King!]

Sorry, kid your actions are your own. And the sheep sound you here in the room may very well be you own.
Take responsibility.

Playgrounds are generally fun and games, some teasing and some…crybabies. So I’m quite lost at your dismayed thought that it’s ‘turning’ that way, seems like this is what you’d feel comfortable with.

Sirmyk, you’re such a bully for offering to send books to people! Bastard!

Also, Ingram, one of the, if not the largest distributor of books does carry ‘Hannah’, so bookshops should have no problem getting a copy. But going direct through the author is always nice, and if you’re lucky he’ll enclose a limited edition naked photo of his cat. Coinky-dinkly, the cat’s name is Bully.

j
(the last paragraph, for the humour impaired, is totally fabricated, aside from the Ingram thing)

I'm also up for Sirmyk's Palindrome Hannah, its about to arrive in the post, hopefully today--available on Amazon folks.
I dont know why people get so uptight about things here ( threads above). This is just a democratic discussion on choosing a book. It's up to members to decide whether they want to join in or not - no-one is going to come around your house and hold a gun to your head and force you to read something, jesus. This isn't bullying, its an informed and lively debate.

Since so many are asking, I will send anyone on this forum a signed trade paperback for $20, or a hardbound for $30, shipping included (which in some cases is quite the bargain). Unless you want a John Hancock of some unfamous person, I recommend Amazon to the U.S. residents on this forum; they seem to be the best deal around. This post may be deleted as spam, but I thought I would try anyway since some of you are having difficulties ordering the book... and it is somewhat relevant to this thread.

I'm new so I wasn't sure if I could vote or not. It would be kind of cool for October to read a scary book. Or maybe even one that has to do with Dracula. So my vote is The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

Tina said:
I'm new so I wasn't sure if I could vote or not. It would be kind of cool for October to read a scary book. Or maybe even one that has to do with Dracula. So my vote is The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

I didn't think of that, but a scary book would be good for October :)

I don't have a suggestion for this month, but I thought this would be the best place to post this. I PMed Ice to ask her if someone was planning on taking over this section as Ell has resigned as mod. Even if it's just as a fill-in until new mods are appointed. I figured I'd make a post on it so that we don't all PM a mod or two and fill up their inboxes.

Ah pooh. Her inbox is full. I'll send it on to another mod.

OK. Wabbit is online, so I sent it to him and asked him to pose it to all of the mods if it hasn't already been dealt with.

Have heard back. Wabbit will deal with this until a person who is willing to do it for good is appointed. I've given him thorough (perhaps a tad too) instructions, so he should be good to go. Nobody will be as good as Ell, but at least it will all be taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back