• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions Please

M

moonshot

Hello
I am a new member. At the moment my 'best' author is Robert Goddard. I have almost read all his books, one and his new one to go.
Can any one suggest an author who writes in the same vain.
Most of Robert Goddards books are set in the UK and most are written in the first person. He is known as the Prince of Plotters.

Hi there, welcome to the forum :)

I don't have any suggestions, but If you are planning on sticking around then say hello to us all in the member introduction section of the forum!

Hi moonshot,

I haven't read any Goddard, but from what I read on Amazon.com, I think P.D. James would be a good author to try. Or, if you're in the mood for something shorter with less character development, try Tony Hillerman.

I've only read one Robert Goddard (Closed Circle), but I really enjoyed it, and can understand why he's considered the Prince of Plotters. What is it you particularly like about his books? From what I understand, most of his main characters are just ordinary people that inadvertently get involved in things they know nothing about and find themselves quickly out of their depth. Does this sound right?

An author I'd particularly recommend is Lee Child. While British, he writes thrillers set in the US. He varies between the first and third person from book to book. His main character, Jack Reacher, is not a police detective, though he used to be in the military police. Invariably wherever he is, trouble finds him - this kickstarts the plot which usually twists and turns rather a lot. Despite only having read one Robert Goddard novel, I sensed a similarity in writing style.

I'm considering reading some more Robert Goddard novels - are there any you'd particularly recommend?

Nakmeister

Robert Goddard

Hi
Yes you are about right. I like books set in the UK (or mostly in the uk) as Goddard books are. His main characters do change from book to book (apart from two which have the same characters). This means that he is not restricted to the same type of plot, story, setting or time and each is an individual suspense story. You don`t always know what you are getting until you read the book; it not as predictable as having the same main character in each book.
I will look at PD James books and maybe Lee Childs (who I understand is being considered to write the new James Bond books) although I would prefer Uk settings. Some one suggested Elizabeth George, like Lee Childs but vice versa, she is from the US but her books are set in the Uk, but again with a main character.
Closed Circle is a good story set in 1931. I would recommend Borrowed Time. All Goddard books are good, some are better than others. One of my favourites is Past Caring, half of the story is set in victorian times. Or Into The Blue. This was on TV last weekend... featuring John Thaw.

Back