• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Supersize Me

RitalinKid

Have any of you seen the documentary Supersize Me? It's about a guy who eats nothing but food from McDonald's for a month. I think it's a must see for everyone, especially people with children or people who eat fastfood several times a week. I got the privelege of watching it with med school students, so we slowed down the parts where the viewer is shown the results of his bloodwork. They were in shock at what the fat from the food was doing to his liver, basically turning it into pate.

Just for the record, I would never suggest a boycott of any fastfood restaurants, but people should know just how bad (even addictive to a degree) certain foods can be.

I watched it! Made my daughter change her eating habits! I don't eat Maccas anyway since I'm obsessed with my weight. I think it's sad that it's gone as far as it has! The obesity levels are immense. There's even a new fatty liver type disease found in the obese. Looks like an alcoholic's liver!

I liked when one of the docs said that he'd gone out to eat with some friends. One is a smoker, one is obese. Everyone gave the smoker shit and she hung her head and took it and apologised. When the obese person ordered dessert, no one said a word! Interesting...

there is a woman who has done another documentary called mickey d's and me( i think) and she did the same thing but ate from the menu in a more healthy manner. she did it for 2 months, 3 times a day and lost weigth. she said she wanted to present a more balanced view, because of course you would get sick if you ate the way he did. all value meals and pop and xtra large sizes. she ate all over the menu making healthier choices. she wanted to make a point that it isn't the fast food industry who is making us fat, but our own personal choices and until we are willing to accept that, we will continue to balloon up.

That filmmaker is Soso Whaley and I think her film was called Debunk the Junk.

The rules that Spurlock set for himself were intentionally terrible and unhealthy, something he talked about throughout the film.

For one thing, before the film he used to run 10 miles/day and walk about 7 or 8. During the month of Supersize, he limited himself to only walking a mile a day, with the rationale that this is the American average.

He also had ridiulous rules about how much he HAD to eat, always having to finish what he bought, have three full meals a day, and always having to Supersize the order when asked.

His mission was to be a big pig, to live out the fantasy of eating terribly, doing no exercise, etc. At no point does he equate what he's doing with "normal" behavior. He acknowledges throughout that it's very self-destructive. It's just an experiment in extreme excess.

Soso Whaley, on the other hand, eats when she's hungry, eats only until she's satisfied, and skips meals. She also is a champion skater who continued to workout and exercise.

The films are about two different things. What Spurlock did was a social experiment, living out that uniquely American fantasy of eating like a moronic pig all the time, not about nutrition.

RitalinKid said:
Damn. I searched for it under this forum only. Thanks novella.

Wow, I just breezed through that old thread. We were all over the planet on that. Not exactly on topic.

novella said:
The rules that Spurlock set for himself were intentionally terrible and unhealthy, something he talked about throughout the film.

I think he modelled it after the eating/exercise habits of the average American (or at least a large number of Americans).

Zolipara said:
I think he modelled it after the eating/exercise habits of the average American (or at least a large number of Americans).
Do you think that the average American only eat at McDonald's?

Nope, but a lot of americans eat a lot of junkfood and hardly ever excercise. Even a lot of schools serve junkfood for lunch dont they? And if you read my post its not my view but Spurlocks.

In the movie Spurlock claims the average exercise is walking 1 mile a day and if i'm not mistaken he says the average american eats junkfood once a day. Been a while since i've seen it so i cant remember. He takes it further yes, but especially his excercise habits in the movie is probably near to what a lot of people do.

I saw it. Didn't make that much of an impression on me, simply because I knew this.

Old news.

Entertaining flick, though.

Cheers

I agree with Martin. The language is pretty clean, no nudity (unless you count Spurlock eating french fries in his underwear racy?), and some rather dry discussion about his loss of libido and gain of body odor. Mostly, it's funny and disgusting, with documentary-style interviews and film segments between his eating lots of Big Macs.

In fact, I think kids could get a lot out of it. Definitely a lesson in the consequences of excess.

Watched "Supersize Me" this weekend. With kids. Nothing to surprising. The amount of damage to the liver in such a short time was probably the most surprising.

I really liked the connection that was drawn to kids being "brainwashed" with Happy Meals, free toys, playgrounds, and birthday parties. Although, I've never been to a McD's birthday party, and my kids have not either. Don't think they do that much around here.

The small amount of talk on their sex life and his lack of stamina causing the girlfriend to need to be "on top" was the raciest thing. Tame by most prime time television standards I would say.

Spurlock getting a digital rectal exam was thankfully blurred out. :eek:

Has anyone seen that his girlfriend has now released a book containing the diet she used to detox him after Supersize Me finished?

I enjoyed the movie. I haven't eaten McD's in years (and then I was stuck on a road trip with guy friends who will eat anything), and the film certainly reinforced my previous beliefs.

I think most of the movie's naysayers haven't watched the film. Yes, we all know eating McD's ain't good for you, but the films about more than that. I was really interested in the discussions on the vague lines between corporate and personal responsibility and even just the general facts (ie the actual percentage of people overwieght, how much fast food/junk is consumed).

Anyway, i thought it was well done.

Back