• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suspense/Thriller novels written by women?

If you're after a suspense thriller written by a woman I don't think you can go past Joanna Hines. I've read and reviewed two of her novels, 'SurfaceTension' and 'Improvising Carla' and they were both excellent.

Booklover Book Reviews

SURFACE TENSION by Joanna Hines

My Review : This is the first book I've read from Joanna Hines and now I'm hooked on this author. She has a beautiful writing style, just enough descriptive detail to paint the scene but not so much that it gets in the way of the story. Hines' characters are well developed and grow with us as the story unfolds and the mystery surrounding the cult deepens. The plot twist at the end is brilliant - an excellent, enthralling read!

Booklover Book Reviews

If you're after a suspense thriller written by a woman I don't think you can go past Joanna Hines. I've read and reviewed two of her novels, 'SurfaceTension' and 'Improvising Carla' and they were both excellent.

Booklover Book Reviews

IMPROVISING CARLA by Joanna Hines

My Review : Another amazing book by Joanna Hines (see my review on 'Surface Tension' also) - she really deserves to be much more well known. This story is deep, complex and gripping. Hines has an uncanny ability to achieve two things with her writing - craft and tell an intriguing, mesmerizing story, but also evoke a particular emotion with the reader that goes well beyond the usual empathy one might feel for a character. This is one of those novels that leaves you thinking about how you think about things.... But, for all the skillful character development and important little details cleverly woven into this story, it remains a very accessible read for the target female audience. I think any author that can make me change my opinion on multiple characters within one novel of less than 400 pages is brilliant!

Booklover Book Reviews

IMPROVISING CARLA by Joanna Hines

My Review : Another amazing book by Joanna Hines (see my review on 'Surface Tension' also) - she really deserves to be much more well known. This story is deep, complex and gripping. Hines has an uncanny ability to achieve two things with her writing - craft and tell an intriguing, mesmerizing story, but also evoke a particular emotion with the reader that goes well beyond the usual empathy one might feel for a character. This is one of those novels that leaves you thinking about how you think about things.... But, for all the skillful character development and important little details cleverly woven into this story, it remains a very accessible read for the target female audience. I think any author that can make me change my opinion on multiple characters within one novel of less than 400 pages is brilliant!

Booklover Book Reviews

Thank you. I'm always looking for good female writers so I'll definitely give Joanna Hines a try.

My list of excellent women mystery writers are:

Allison Brennan, Sandra Brown, Beverly Connor, Eileen Dryer, Lisa Gardner, Tess Gerriten, Kay Hooper, Tami Hoag, Christine Heggan, Faye Kellerman, Christine McGuire, Kathy Reichs, Nancy Taylor Rosenberg, Lisa Scottoline, Taylor Smith, Erica Spindler, Mariah Stewart

Pick any of them and you'll hopefully enjoy their writing.

Heartsick by Chelsea Cain.The villain is kind of a rip-off of Hannibal,except it's a she,AND she dissects people.

The series is called The Gretchen Lowell Series.

I researched Patricia Cornwell on Amazon.com and all her books have sub-par ratings :( But Lisa Scottoline is a good author; I'm going with her books :) Thanks! :D
I'm a Cornwell fan. She actually worked in the field of forensics before becoming and author. She also researches her subjects thoroughly. For an authentic forensic experience, I strongly recommend her.

Anyone able to suggest any suspense/thriller novels written by women? Any good books that fit this criteria that you would suggest?

Thanks in advance! :)

I thought Patricia Cornwell would come up. My personal experience would advise you to avoid

her, her books are overlong and dull.

She doesn't seem to have picked up any of her Dad's skills ( ha ha ha ha )

These are more detection mysteries than suspense mysteries, but I really enjoy Sue Grafton's alphabet series ("A" is for Alibi, "B" is for Burgler, "C" is for ... she is up to "W" now)

hey, you can read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I finished recently...really interesting..it is best thriller novel i ever read. Read it....:):):):):)

Last edited by a moderator:
hey, you can read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I finished recently...really interesting..it is best thriller novel i ever read. Read it....:):):):):)
I had just finished that Also. Very intriguing.was very disappointed with the ending. Altho it wasn't a cliche ending, different. Feeling of entrapment, disappointment. But I wanted something to happen so bad. Lol I'm afraid of giving spoilers

Anyone able to suggest any suspense/thriller novels written by women? Any good books that fit this criteria that you would suggest?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi,

Julianne Hoffman - Plea of Insanity is one book that comes to mind. I've read the book, would highly recommend it.
I've also written a thriller/international suspense novel, which the main character is also female - Initiated to Kill.

And of course, if you like mystery, Kathy Reichs and Patricia Cornwall, both writers use a female lead.

Surprised no mention. of J.A. Jance and her long series featuring Arizona sheriff Joanna Brady. Or her newer Ali Reynolds series.
Not sure of the distinction in this thread between mysteries and thrillers but I recommend the Brother Cadfael mysteries by Ellis Peters( pen name of Edith Pargeter), set in early 12th century England. And the late Elizabeth Peters, notably her Amelia Peabody Egyptian series.
Louise Penny. A friend recommnded her books to me, they are great, certainly should qualify as thrillers.
Have read some of Patricia Cornwell's earlier books, she certainly does know the medical examiner trade. On the other hand, another friend told me she had stopped reading them, too much graphic detailed violence and gore. Have to agrer that is true.

Back