• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

T.V.-a love/hate relationship?

i enjoy tv. i value it, really. i dont watch the mindless crap that hollywood churns out for the masses, but i do enjoy the shows i choose to watch and i learn a lot. there's some interesting stuff on tv if you care to look for it. i have thought about taking the tv out of my bedroom, but i decided i like being able to watch dvds in bed.

that said, commercials piss me off and some of the garbage that airs is ridiculous. i'm sometimes embarrassed for people when they ask me if i watch a certain show that they love and it's just complete shit.

Jenem said:
i enjoy tv. i value it, really. i dont watch the mindless crap that hollywood churns out for the masses, but i do enjoy the shows i choose to watch and i learn a lot. there's some interesting stuff on tv if you care to look for it. i have thought about taking the tv out of my bedroom, but i decided i like being able to watch dvds in bed.
What shows do you watch?

Moderation of quantity and quality is definitely the key. I went through an obsessive tv watching phase when I was younger too, but lately I've barely been watching it at all. As long as my children's lives are balanced (i.e., they are reading and not living otherwise sedentary lives) and they aren't watching age inappropriate shows I don't worry too much.

I call our television "The Brainsucker". It doesn't matter what's on it, if it is on, you pay attention to it. That isn't necessarily right, either. Usually I pay no more attention to the TV than I would "gray noise", but nothing else will get done if I don't turn it off.

Nothing disturbs me more than to see my daughter sitting in front of the stupid thing with her mouth hanging open and a vapid glaze over her eyes. That is when I shut it off and we read, or write, or something.

I do hate it.

But I love it so!!!

How can I hate that thing which gave birth to Bart, and Homer, and Alex P. Keaton, and Joey Tribiani, and Raymond, and Monday Night Football, and Sunday afternoon Baseball???

Oh, my love, how I loath you!

novella said:
Gawd Jenem, you're so LITERAL. Why don't you let yourself go a little?

whaddya mean? are you implying i'm a tightass??? did i not banter enough in my response?

Wolhay said:
What shows do you watch?

Family Guy
Daily Planet

i used to watch Alias but last season sucked ass so i don't think i'll continue.
i watch LOST which, admittedly, is churned out for the masses, but an enjoyable show
i watch a lot of the Discovery channel (things like Disaster Detectives etc)
also a lot of History channel (Ancient Civilizations)
Sex and the City and What Not To Wear are two that i love but my husband HATES
The Simpsons
i really enjoyed The Practice when it was on, i watch Boston Legal now occasionally (i think that's the name). i love James Spader
those are the only ones that come to mind, but i'm sure there are more i watch often enough but can't remember right now

Back