• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tad Williams

Spineshank

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this Author's work, i believe he is a fantasy writer so i was just wondering if anyone has read anything of his and if so is it any good. I always see his books when i go into a store so i thought if he had some good books i would pick one up. Thanks

I tried to get into his Otherland series, but gave up after the first couple of books. They just didn't do it for me. I am already trapped in one incredibly slow-moving series (Wheel of Time) and couldn't afford another.
That being said, I haven't read any of his pure fantasy stuff.

I acquired the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series from eBay not too long ago. Haven't had time to sit down and read them yet, though, but I'll let you know when I get there. From some of my friends I heard they were really good and a joy to read - spite of their length. Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is a trilogy in four books of each 800 pages. Pretty hefty, but if they're worth your time as my friends said they were, I'm not too concerned.

I just finished Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams, I thought it was great. The first part of the book (150-200 pages) was kind of slow, but I was warned of that ahead of time. After that it just flew by. I think he does a great job with the characters, but in other ways he's not too original. I do look forward to finishing the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series and trying some of his other books as well.

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is probably my all time fave fantasy trilogy. The writing is wonderful and the books are full of adventure, humour, wisdom, and characters that you will care about. The locations, history, and various races are the best relised that I have encounted. I especially liked his take on the elves ( norns ).

Vionessp, if you found the first book slow then you better be well prepared for the second because I didn't find the first book slow in any way shape or form, but I found the second very slow. Just stick with it tho because it's well worth it :)

Vionessp, if you found the first book slow then you better be well prepared for the second because I didn't find the first book slow in any way shape or form, but I found the second very slow. Just stick with it tho because it's well worth it
Thanks Wabbit, I will!
I especially liked his take on the elves ( norns ).
I just kept thinking about the elves and drow from Forgotten Realms books when he talked about the Sithi and Norms.

I think his take on the elves ( while not being a radical and totally original ) is a really good one, the best I have read in fantasy. They are pretty much how I would envision them. They are very alien. I loved the way he decribed them, even down to the alien way they held themselves and they moved.

Well I've bascially read everything by Tad Williams including his current Shadwomarch series.

For me his best work is the M,S,T trilogy already mentioned. It starts off a bit slowly but it soon quickens in pace. Whilst it's reasonably generic fantasy some of Tad's prose is very good and the story and characterizations are enjoyable. It certainly sits quite comfortably in my top 20 EPIC fantasy series of all time.

His most ambitious work for which he should be applauded is Otherland, a kind of vritual reality come thriller come fantasy montage/homage. It's certainly not his best work and the ending was a little uninspiring for my liking but a solid effort all the same.

Hope this helps...:)

I got hooked on the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy myself, and quite enjoyed it. Awesome fantasy. I read the Otherland series after that, and I think it will be a long time before I pick up any more of Williams' work. He gets a bit grotesque at times - not a big fan of the serial killer character, personally - so be warned if that type of thing bothers you. It's more prevalent in Otherland than in MST. Good stories, even with the length. Otherland moved more slowly, in my opinion, than MST did, but I still enjoyed both. I kind of like picking up a long book and knowing I'll have something to read for a while.

I read his Otherland series and really enjoyed it. From what I read here I think I will check out some of his other series too.

Back