• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

taste

Wabbit

Has and how has your taste in literature changed over time?

Mine certainly has changed over time and there was quite a big shift. Until about 5 years ago, I only read SF and fantasy novels. As I changed and grew as a person, so my taste in books changed. Also, I had the idea that fiction could not be beautifu, magical, or wonderous as SF/fantasy ( stupid i know :D ). Hemingway, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Black Berry Wine and also Chocolate really hopened the flood gates to reading fiction. Now I read more fiction than SF and Fantasy, I think.

Regards
SillyWabbit

As a kid, I would read anything and everything, so I read my grandmother's romances, my dad's collection of Egyptian history and books about Hitler, my brother's sci fi, and the girly books from the library (Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie). Then I got on a kick for awhile where I would only read "literature," so I read a lot of the classics.

When I got to college, on top of the books for classes (more literature, but more 20th century stuff) I picked up a taste for fantasy for some friends, and modern short stories from my creative writing classes. When I started working at a book store, where we could borrow books like it was a library and I got advance copies, I read mostly modern fiction. It was going through a particularly depressing phase at the time. I got to be quite a book snob for awhile.

Now I'm back to reading everything. I tend to read a fiction book or two, followed by some romance and/or fantasy, and then a non-fiction book, usually history, sometimes poetry, to sort of cleanse the palate before going back to fiction.

My taste changed about couple of years ago due internet and went to waterstones/border leaves various of books on the table. Before I always read romantic fiction, now more genre fiction.

And assholes can be downright rude and insulting. Your contribution to this thread is hardly interesting.

Well, Phil & Wabbit, Freelance Decency Police, tell you to apologise and dont do it again.

And dont forget to eat your greens and wash behind your ears.

Phil

Back