• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Teacher assigns Bret Easton Ellis; gets fired

Just speaking for myself, but I also wouldn't let my daughter watch that sort of thing on TV either....
I would hope that the people who got outraged about the reading assignment are also the type that monitor their kids television watching. But you never know.
I think also parents like to be in control of what their kids are exposed to, rather than having someone else decide that something is appropriate without their consent. For example, there will come a time to expose my daughter to subjects like sex and violence but I hope to be the one guiding the conversation, not Brett Ellis. Or some random substitute teacher for that matter. :lol:

Even at sixteen? I don't know how old she is now, but I'd think you'll have a hard time controlling what she says by the time she gets to sixteen.

Just speaking for myself, but I also wouldn't let my daughter watch that sort of thing on TV either....
I would hope that the people who got outraged about the reading assignment are also the type that monitor their kids television watching. But you never know.
I think also parents like to be in control of what their kids are exposed to, rather than having someone else decide that something is appropriate without their consent. For example, there will come a time to expose my daughter to subjects like sex and violence but I hope to be the one guiding the conversation, not Brett Ellis. Or some random substitute teacher for that matter. :lol:

I'd say you are deluded if you think you can "protect" a 16 year old girl from beeing "exposed to" sex and violence in any form of media.

All I'm saying is that a parent has a right to object to objectionable material being presented to their kids, as well as a responsibility to monitor and keep tabs on what they are reading and watching. Am I wrong on that?
I know it's not a popular view. But I know I did a whole lot of idiotic things that could have literally cost me everything as a result of having the freedom to decide things at too young of an age.
I just think that people give up a little too early sometimes and let the various media sources shape their kids values instead of putting in the time, building trust, communicating, disciplining and listening to their kids. Another problem is that many parents expect the school to do all of the tough work of child raising, when thats not really the purpose of school.
I guess I don't really get the deluded part..... but ok. I would at least try to guide my daughter's choices and viewpoints. Isn't that being a parent?

All I'm saying is that a parent has a right to object to objectionable material being presented to their kids, as well as a responsibility to monitor and keep tabs on what they are reading and watching. Am I wrong on that?

You can try. The deluded part is if you think you actually can do it.

All we have to base these opinions on are our own personal experiences and the glimpses we are allowed to see into other peoples lives. Different cultures and different types of people have different realities as far as childrearing goes.
Based on my life experience, I don't think my ideas are that far fetched. But I will admit it probably won't be easy... :lol:
So maybe we agree to disagree on that. I do agree that firing the teacher was probably a little bit excessive.

Back