• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Teens and life sentencing

I am shocked, shocked to see New Yorker writing so blatantly in sentence fragments. They are worse than I am. (Ben, take note :D )

But, to the point, exceptional cases like this one seem to be designed to test the boundary lines, and I have to confess that I am always on both sides of the fence.

I don't think the jury will have a problem with a verdict.

Afterthought: This sounds like a modern-day version of The Execution of Private Slovick, which may be a hint of the outcome here too.

Afterthought: This sounds like a modern-day version of The Execution of Private Slovick, which may be a hint of the outcome here too.

Great movie Peder, definitely a classic, even if it about an unfortunate incident. I rate it up there with the Cain Mutiny.:flowers:

The article is a lengthy one, but covers all of the main points of the issue. Yes, the teenage brain is wired quite differently than that of adults(every parent out there is rolling their eyes upon reading this) and that teens are for the most part, 90% Id. The young man mentioned in the article is definitely one confused and lost soul. We like to believe that people act within reason and punish them accordingly. Unfortunately, teens act unreasonably even when they are being reasonable. Forgive the broad-brush here, I'm still perfecting my strokes. I like to think that Father Flanagan was right-there are no bad boys, just bad homes.

I like to think that Father Flanagan was right-there are no bad boys, just bad homes.

That's part of the reason I frequently end up on both sides of the fence. Departing from Father Flanagan, however, I prefer the proposition that humans have within them both propensities, for good and for evil. But that leads far afield into non-bookish debate.

Back