• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tell us about "your" bookstore.

Prairie_Girl

So I think everyone has "their" bookstore, the one that they will always remember. I'll tell you about mine!

Cafe Books, downtown Canmore Alberta. I bought a TON of books when I lived in Canmore, simply because the library sucked. This store had the BEST vibe, and I loved it dearly. Becuase of the limited space they put such though into what they carried and would order in anything I asked for. Also, because I basically had my headset surgically attached to my ears the entire time I lived there, the girl that was working there (they were ALWAYS girls) would always ask what I was listening too. Doesn't sound like much, but I was so lonely when I was in Canmore that it was greatly appreciated. When we go back to visit I plan on spending a LOT of money their.

Bryan Price; Bookseller in Hamilton, Ontario. This book store had a ladder a la Beauty and the Beast and such an AMAZING selection. Though it wasn't a gay book store they carried a wide variety of gay studies, and some of the best selection of "literature" I've ever encountered in a space smaller than most bachelor apartments. I think I miss this bookstore more than anything else about my time in Ontario.

Ok, I showed you mine, now you show up yours! :D

Different Drummer Books in Burlington ON. For a couple reasons. First they seem to have picked the name of their store from a Henry David Thoreau quote:

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

They have that printed on the bookmarks they give with each purchase and on a couple plaques inside the store. I quite like that quote, so much so after I post this it's gonna become my signature. They're always willing to try to get a book for you regardless of how rare or obscure. They've always seemed to be knowledgeable and willing to spend time with you. They also do a better job of keeping the better printings of the classics than the major bookseller does. I'd shop there exclusively but the 10% off I get at Chapters/Indigo can be substantial given the cost of books and my lack of money.

If I remember next time I'm in Hamilton I'll check out Bryan Price Prairie_Girl.

Edit: Holy fricken typos. Distracted today.

The blue building with the yellow awnings is Booksandcoffee in Dewey Beach, Delaware, which is our annual beach destination.

aimg101.imageshack.us_img101_6872_deweybook1dx.jpg

Even at the beach, we need to spend some time surrounded by books, and this is the place.

I have two local bookstores (out of the zillions in and around NYC).

One is a privately owned shop within easy walking distance, about half a mile away. I see it every day. It is a small store, owned by a marvelous woman who knows every book in the store and then some! Whenever I have asked for a suggestion she has been exactly on the mark. In addition, I have seen every interesting book that I have ever heard about on her shelves. I don't know how she does it! And of course if it isn't there she orders it in for me.

About a year a go I wanted to do some reading on how Hitler came to power. Not the history of events, which I had already read several versions of, but how he was able to get an electorate to vote for him in such numbers, and why they would entrust their nation to such a man. She understood exactly what I was looking for and had many relevant books in her private library of several hundred books on the topic at home. She went through her home collection for titles and I eventually ended up purchasing and reading about six or seven books recommended by her, all exactly on that question and all very informative.

My other local bookstore is Borders, a large chain with a boostore about a mile away that has a small coffee shop and is a book oasis with a huge number of books on its endless shelves. I have spent what seem like megabucks in both places, as well as endless hours in Borders looking at books over coffee and making up my mind.

Happy as a clam with those two,
Peder

"My" bookstore is in Estes Park, Colorado. When you enter it, you have a narrow walkway with a giant wall of every magazine around. After you pass that part, there are various nooks and crannies which contain different genres. My favorite area is the non-fiction/history section. When you're done there, you can walk out of the store to a water walkway behind it and take some time to read your new purchase.
Smokin.bmp

Wow!

I'm going to be moving to Canmore from England soon. What great news to hear that it has such a good bookshop! :)

My bookshop is called Whitcoulls, and is located about 30 mins away in Christchurch. It's nothing special really, just your normal chain-store. I'm so un-romantic :p

I went to a very nice bookstore today, which is a bit far away, so I wont call it "my bookstore".
The store has different levels/floors and a part of the store sells used books. There is a big cafe where you can sit and read the book before buying, eat lunch etc. Today I went just to browse and to have a cup of cofee, then I noticed something, while sitting there minding my own business reading the paper. Picture the cafe in the store to be kind of old fashion and each wall has a huge book cases with books, you can get drinks and small meals, the little wall there is left has real art on it. Hope you get the picture.(?). Okay, then I read one of the papers there and looked around and noticed an old clock on the wall. A nice one and it had one great detail about it, it had stopped! it did not work! I had to smile when I noticed this. It was like the store was sending a message; " if you come in here, then relax and enjoy yourself, dont rush!" Isnt that neat?? ;) :D

Flower

I live in a pretty small town and we only have a Coles. It has a pretty decent sized Fantasy and Sf section though :) ..Allright prices as well.

Currently staying in Torrington Wyoming and will make it to Estes in just a few hours. I'm really pumped as I will get to visit "my" favorite bookshop. My parents bought a cabin up in Estes when I was in junior high and the bookshop was the place that I just absolutely loved. It was nice to browse and then sit in the back by a small stream and read a new book.

Here's a good pic of the place from the front. This is really going to be a great weekend.

th_macdonalds2.jpg

Back