• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tennessee Williams: A streetcar named desire

SFG75

I finished this up last night, I understand why it was an outstanding play, but to me, it wasn't close to being as great as Death of a Salesman. I really enjoyed the ending and it was very tragic. The scene where Mitch attempts to intervene and possibly stop Blanche from being taken away to the crazy house, only to be stopped by Stanley, made for a truly depressing read. That section of the play was definitely a great work of art. I also enjoyed how Stanley unveiled shocking information to Stella about her sister, things that you couldn't have possibly predicted. Definitely a good read if you have it, but not the greatest.
:star2:

I read A streetcar named desire after I had seen the movie, therefore my imagination has always been influenced. But I enjoyed both.

I think the description of Blanche's way into madness is excellent and very intriguing.
If I am not mistaken this "rely on the kindness of strangers" is already mentioned earlier in the play (to the newspaper man?) so that we know the shocking information given to Stella by Stanley is true.
On the one side, this phrase (or attitude) seems to be Blanche's doom (e.g. it ruins a serious relationship with Mitch), but on the other side it is her only refuge that makes her capable of facing the end (although "facing" means avoiding the reality in this case).

Back