• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Terry Pratchett: Good Omens

Darren

April 2004

Synopsis
Taking a cynical look at the horror genre, this book features Crowley and Aziraphale, two friends who attempt to prevent the prophesised Armageddon. When the Antichrist is born they divert him from his original home at the American Embassy to Tadfield, where he grows into an unkempt individual.

Great book. Hilariously funny. Style and humour was similar to Discworld, but Gaiman brought an added darker edge to it that makes it great.

Most memorable part: The 4 other horsemen of the apocalypse.

Yes, a great book. Damn funny. I have read it at LEAST 8 times. I'm sure to read it again :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Loved this book. The humor of the two authors combined makes for very interesting reading and its hard not to love Crowley.

Did anyone else really not care all that much for Adam & Co.?

Haven't read this in ages but it is incredibly funny and I don't usually like Prachett. It has a very interesting twist on things as I remember.

I remember rumours a while back that this was being made into a movie with Terry Gilliam to direct. Not sure what happened there, I think it fell through.

I wasn't as thrilled over this novel as most people were, but I did have a really good laugh over the part where Satan considers Satanists.
It's been ages since I read it but it was something along the lines of how he regarded Satanists as well-meaning but equated them to Neighbourhood Watch members who showed up to meetings in army fatigues.

I haven't read this book but did find a copy of it while rummaging through my attic so I'll give it a go - it sounds great from what you all say :)

Good Omens

Hannibal said:
It's been ages since I read it but it was something along the lines of how he regarded Satanists as well-meaning but equated them to Neighbourhood Watch members who showed up to meetings in army fatigues.
I just read that last night. He said it was the way a VietNam veteran felt about a Neighborhood Watch member in fatigues.

I'm finding that I keep getting struck with "little lines" (Paraphrasing): She was beautiful the way a fire is beautiful-- you don't want to get to close.
Demon #1: He's got a car with a telephone in it. Demon #2: It must take a lot of wires for something like that.

M&O said:
I'm finding that I keep getting struck with "little lines" (Paraphrasing): She was beautiful the way a fire is beautiful-- you don't want to get to close.
Demon #1: He's got a car with a telephone in it. Demon #2: It must take a lot of wires for something like that.

I agree, definitely the best part of the novel.

Good Omens

I am with Hannibal, in that I wasn't as thrilled as many other people were. I liked it, but I didn't love it. At times, it felt confusing to have to hold all the characters in my head before I knew whether they needed to be held or not-- we met the 4 Horsemen, for example, it almost seemed like random tales that didn't quite fit in; of course, I knew they must fit in somehow, so I tried to remember them all, but I still needed my memory jogged from time to time. I guess what I am trying to say (rather inarticulately) is that the structure seemed looser that what I am used to.

I thought it was interesting when Newt told Anathema that maybe it was fate that he met her, and she, who lived her life according to prophecies, told him there was no such thing. Knowing what will happen doesn't mean it is fated to happen, just knowing where free will is going to lead. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I just finished this book. I thought this was a great book. I read it because I loved American Gods- Neil Gaiman and wanted to find something else by him. I think that I might just try to find something else by Terry Pratchett now. I hear that the discworlds are good as well. :)

Wonderful spoof of The Omen, I really enjoyed this. I think it might be down to Gaiman's influence. I've never found Pratchett funny at all and rarely pick up a Diskworld book, but I loved this. Best bit, propably the prolouge.

This is quite a bit more lighthearted that Gaiman's other work, which I put down to Pratchett's influence. A good melding of minds.

amazing book i remember being recommended it a few years ago. since then i have read loads of Terry Pratchett's - i think Neil G's dark affects worked perfectly its better than any discworld and thats very hard to say!

anyone recommend something similar?

i looove this book, excellent pick. it's hilarious, but also very insightful, intelligent, excellent commentary on society. fave bits: '"sauntered vaguely downwards", and the tapes that all become Queen after a fortnight.

Ah! Good book--very good. I read it a year or two ago--one of my best friends who is a huge Prachett fan (and introduced me to him with The Colour of Magic ).

Back