• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Terry Pratchett

Thanks for that muggle, it makes a lot more sense now! I'll get Equal Rites from the library tomorrow.

lilbiteb said:
Thanks for that muggle, it makes a lot more sense now! I'll get Equal Rites from the library tomorrow.

I stand by my original recommendation. Wyrd Sisters is the first "proper" Witches book - Equal Rites doesn't feature Nanny Ogg or Magrat and Granny Weatherwax is a much less well-defined character. It's good, but maybe not the best place to start.

Wintergreen said:
I stand by my original recommendation. Wyrd Sisters is the first "proper" Witches book - Equal Rites doesn't feature Nanny Ogg or Magrat and Granny Weatherwax is a much less well-defined character. It's good, but maybe not the best place to start.
I agree that Equal Rites is not necessarily the "best" Witches book in the series. However, Equal Rites is important in the series in "defining" Discworld magic. Equal Rites "introduces" you to the most remarkable and unforgettable witch, Granny Weatherwax. It also gives you a close look at Unseen University and the wizards who call it home. I believe that subsequent Witches books by Pratchett are better understood if you start with Equal Rites.

Actually, the City Guard books are probably my favorites. Hmmm, or maybe those featuring death, Mort, etc. :) Of course, Going Postal was excellent. :D

muggle said:
I agree that Equal Rites is not necessarily the "best" Witches book in the series. However, Equal Rites is important in the series in "defining" Discworld magic. Equal Rites "introduces" you to the most remarkable and unforgettable witch, Granny Weatherwax. It also gives you a close look at Unseen University and the wizards who call it home.

Good point. The solution, of course, is to start with Mort. ;)

Sad news indeed.

The way he is able to make jokes in his announcement brought a smile to my face.

:)

He is a fantastic writer. I mentioned this over on the Neil Gaiman thread, but if you like Terry Pratchett, you should DEFINITELY check out Good Omens (it's written by both of them).

He is a fantastic writer. I mentioned this over on the Neil Gaiman thread, but if you like Terry Pratchett, you should DEFINITELY check out Good Omens (it's written by both of them).

Good Omens is hilarious.

Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett.

Pratchett's Discworld novels are uneven; a lot depends on the characters carrying the plot - some are great, some bore me to tears - and the strength of the underlying story. So in this one, he's got Death becoming human and having to understand Life, while the wizards of the Unseen University battle this new monster called a Mall... and it's one of the very best I've read. He's laugh-out-loud funny as always, but he also manages to say some pretty worthwile things on life and death, and the character arc he sends the Grim Reaper on is really quite touching. :star4:

Death is one of my all-time favorite characters. I also like the Luggage quite a bit.

I've started recommending 'Guards Guards!' to friends as a starting point for Discworld as it's the start of Sam Vimes' storyline and it's far easier to get into from. I used to start at the beginning with the Colour of Magic and Light fantastic duo, but more and more I think they're just not as good, and to grip people you need Ol' vimes.

What does everyone else think is the best starting book?

Terry Pratchett.

I am a great Terry Pratchett Disk World fan. How many of you avid readers have read his books? And how many of you have enjoyed them as much as I have?

I just bought a Discworld novel over the weekend. Now my collection stands at two books. I seen the world "Pyramids" and after reading about becoming a pharaoh on the back cover, that's all I needed to know to bring it home with me. ;) There's a chance my Egyptian obsession is getting out of hand, but I'm in denial.

Back