• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tess Gerritsen: Rizzoli & Isles Series

Polly Parrot

Staff member
The Surgeon

Gerritsen keeps the suspense going throughout the entire novel. I like how the killer's identity isn't revealed until the very end. Even though the reader is privy to the killer's thoughts and some of his actions, he is not mentioned by name or described in any way until the end.
The only thing I'm not sure about is the focus on the fact that Rizzoli is a woman and how she continually complains about how the men regard her as inconsequential because of her sex. Not sure at all whether that truthfully depicts the goings on and internal relationships inside a police department.
The role of outsider for Rizzoli could have been achieved in a different way, I think.

After finishing my dissertation about a week ago, I was looking for something easy to read. Easy, but not boring or badly written, however.

This novel made me want to keep on reading until I came to its conclusion. Admittedly, the end had been spoiled a little for me by having watched the Rizzoli & Isles series prior to reading this. Nevertheless, the developments in the book do differ from the series. Mostly in terms of detail and less focus on detective Rizzoli. Speaking of which, I rather liked the shifting perspective between the several characters.

:star4:

Last edited:
Polly, IMHO Gerritsen's characters and stories get better over time. Unlike some other series authors which have not held up (Cornwell and Reichs comes to mind.)
Gerritsen trained as a doctor and at one time it was a male dominated environment like police work. I bet she used some things she witnessed there in her development of Rizzoli.
In some police departments women have been slowly accepted even to this day.
I just started her latest Rizzoli and Isles adventure "Last to die" and it's gotten off to a quick start with no slow build up.
Again in my opinion the TV show is a disappointment. Nothing like the books and well, just terrible.
Her second book "The Apprentice" is like Part 2 of the "Surgeon"
Enjoy.

The Apprentice

After reading The Surgeon, I immediately wanted to continue with its sequel, The Apprentice.

Similar to the first novel in the series, The Apprentice has a nice, slow build up of tension filled with suggestions of what might come next.

This is the novel where Dr. Isles is introduced into the series. For now, I find her somewhat one-dimensional, she is just there as the medical examiner, but doesn't seem to have a personality beyond that yet. It must be said, however, that she doesn't feature prominently in this particular novel, so her character may be explored further in the subsequent instalments.

Speaking of one-dimensional characters, with the exception of Agent Dean and perhaps Korsak as well, the male characters do not seem to have much to them at all. They mostly serve as a vehicle or backdrop to Rizzoli's own personal development. Evidently, the other major exception to this being the criminal (not his partner, though) who is slowly becoming even more creepy and perverted in his actions but even more so in his fantasies. My issue with the male characters so far is mostly those of the other detectives in the unit. Crowe, for example, is nothing more than a misogynist dinosaur who has come back from the dark ages when cavemen still found their mates by clubbing them over the head and dragging them into their, err, cave. (Slight exaggeration there, but you get the point).

As with its predecessor, and I'm trying not to spoil anything for new readers, the entire novel is one long build-up to a thrilling, albeit rather short, finale.

And finally, comparing it to the television series once again, and going back to the subject of one-dimensional characters. In the series, I find that the women are subjected to a rather stereotypical treatment. Dr. Isles is a sort of maneater who, besides caring for the dead, hasn't got much more purpose in life than to look as glamourous as she possibly can. As for Rizzoli, in the series she is merely a very blunt sort of woman and instead of being the angry, frustrated cop she is in the books, she still is angry but besides that she is also suddenly much more interested in men. In short, both women are made to be some type of ditzy school girls doing a serious job, you know, because, like, they have like a badge and degrees and stuff like that. (I don't do ditzy school girl very well, do pardon me).

So far, I find the books great to read and, within their genre, I give this one :star4: It's good to finally read a good detective novel written by a woman which doesn't focus on the manly man world and feelings as much.

Reading The Sinner now. :cool:

Last edited:
I find the TV series entertaining, but compared to the books it is rather disappointing as I feel they could have made something much better with the material they have.

I actually like the slow build up of tension and events.

I like the show, never read this book, but I listened to several of the later ones. Gotta say, bigger fan of the TV show based on this than the books, but they were good in their own right.

The Sinner

Not as good as the previous novels. The Sinner seems to lack in something. I can't quite put my finger on what. Perhaps it is the lack of information about the killer, or the somewhat odd ending to the novel. It just did not make me want to keep reading or think about it while not reading it like The Surgeon and The Apprentice did.

However sparse the information about the killer is, and how little character he has - he is little more than his looks, just a shell, except one with an agenda - one does get a lot more information about Maura Isles and her (past) love life. Not so much in the sense of "romance" novels (in the loosest sense of the word you can think of), which is good. Though at times it does come across a little soap opera-esque. I like Maura Isles, she is no longer the characterless M.E. she was in The Apprentice.

It is a shame though how the novel seems to focus a lot more on both Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles' love lives and the murder of the nuns is merely happening on the periphery of both characters' lives and minds.

:star3: for the lack of plot, gave it a third star as it is nice to get to know the two lead characters a little better, it is just a pity how the plot of the actual crime had to suffer.

Last edited:
So, during a recent browse on Amazon for another good TV series to get my teeth into I came across Rizzoli & Isles based on the bestselling books by Tess Gerritsen and seeing as it sounded right up my alley decided to purchase the first 3 seasons (and I may have pre-ordered the fourth too!). I then went looking for the books and before I knew what was happening I'd added them all to my basket! I do remember reading one of her books before - The Apprentice, I believe - and enjoying it immensely, so seeing as I love getting my teeth into a good series, and the fact I'm in the mood for some crime, I figured what the hell and purchased the lot! I'm planning on making a start on the first book in the series, The Surgeon, this evening.

Anyone read the books or seen the television series for that matter? Does the television series do the books justice? Should I read the books before watching the show, or can I read and watch simultaneously?

Thoughts please...

We have the first season. I wasn't aware there were books as well though. I got the first season because of the actresses playing the leads, both of which I've liked in other series. But something put me off, and we haven't watched anymore than one or possibly two episodes.....the heck of it is, I can't remember what put me off. heh I guess I'll have to pull the season from the shelf, and re-watch.

I'd be interested to see how you like the books, too. :) I don't think I've read anything by Gerritsen.

I loved Sasha Alexander in NCIS and also remember her from Dawson's Creek!

I believe the pilot episode is based on the first two books in the series, although I'm just going by what I've been told/read on Amazon, which is one of the reasons why I'd love some feedback as to whether or not I should read the books first. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm planning on starting the first book this evening so will definitely let you know what I think of it.

Yes, and the other one is from the original Law & Order. She played an Assistant D.A. for a couple of years.

Oh, on Alexander, the way she left NCIS was shocking.....no come back from that! :( I actually quit watching the show for a year, but relented. lol

The books are much better. The characters are more likable in the books and the relationships are much different. Like the TV character of Tempe in Bones and Laura in Rizzoli & Isles they are not likeable, though Laura is more so than Tempe. It's just my opinion of course. I quite watching Bones because of that portrayal.
Makes me think I ought to read more and cut out TV all together.

I find the TV series entertaining, but compared to the books it is rather disappointing as I feel they could have made something much better with the material they have..

The televsion series was an absolute shocker wasn't it?
I found the underlying suggestion of latent lesbianism most distatseful and unneccessary.
Sadly it seems we are subjected to this sort of thing too often on the airwaves these days.

The books are much better. The characters are more likable in the books and the relationships are much different. Like the TV character of Tempe in Bones and Laura in Rizzoli & Isles they are not likeable, though Laura is more so than Tempe. It's just my opinion of course. I quite watching Bones because of that portrayal.
Makes me think I ought to read more and cut out TV all together.

I know this is a bit off topic, but in reference to your comment on Bones....I've never watched more than a preview of the show. I liked Reich's series for about 7 or 8 books, but it kind of got old after that, to me at least. I hated what I did see of the TV series though.
Anyhow, no TV coming into the house nowadays. We have a television, but only use it for DVDs and streaming what we choose. It's cheaper and a lot more interesting. And, no commercials!

Anyhow, back to topic. I believe I actually have one of Gerritsen's books on the shelf, must pull it. :)

Oh, on Alexander, the way she left NCIS was shocking.....no come back from that!
It was certainly shocking and no matter how many times I rewatch that episode it is JUST as shocking.

The characters are more likable in the books and the relationships are much different. Like the TV character of Tempe in Bones and Laura in Rizzoli & Isles they are not likeable, though Laura is more so than Tempe.
I have to admit I love the character of Tempe in Bones, although I have yet to read the books so can't compare them.

We have a television, but only use it for DVDs and streaming what we choose. It's cheaper and a lot more interesting. And, no commercials!
I also watch more DVDs than live television and any television I do watch I tend to record and skip the commercials. I can't stand commercials!

Karen, due to this thread, I pulled the TV DVDs we have of the R&I series. I'm kind of ennh about it. We watched the first four of the first season, and it seems a bit forced and ordinary to me. I do like the idea of the women being buddies though, and think that will/could set a good example. I just wish the stories were more interesting, and the actors better. Which surprised me, as I like both women.

I was debating about whether to watch the series whilst reading the books but have decided to read the books first - or certainly the first few anyway. I always try and read a book before seeing any kind of movie adaptation so figured I should stick to my rule with television spin-offs too.

I have to say I'm loving The Surgeon so far. I've just about finished it so will let you know what I think about it in a day or so. I was hoping to have finished it by now, as I can usually get through a book in a couple of days, but due to work commitments things have been a bit hectic this week. I should get it finished either tonight or tomorrow. My next conundrum is whether to jump straight into The Apprentice (which finally arrived today) or alternate them with other books. Decisions, decisions....

I was debating about whether to watch the series whilst reading the books but have decided to read the books first - or certainly the first few anyway. I always try and read a book before seeing any kind of movie adaptation so figured I should stick to my rule with television spin-offs too.

I have to say I'm loving The Surgeon so far. I've just about finished it so will let you know what I think about it in a day or so. I was hoping to have finished it by now, as I can usually get through a book in a couple of days, but due to work commitments things have been a bit hectic this week. I should get it finished either tonight or tomorrow. My next conundrum is whether to jump straight into The Apprentice (which finally arrived today) or alternate them with other books. Decisions, decisions....

Karen, love your new avatar. I find myself prone to overdosing when I get excited about a book and then binge read more in the series. I've found it's better to break up my reading.

This doesn't happen when I binge watch TV series like Game of Thrones or Mad Men, although Mad Men is completely scrambled for me because I watched the episodes willy nilly. I can't keep straight who is dead or married to whom, when.

Always the wise course. :)
Glad you're enjoying it, look forward to your thoughts on it.

Back