• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The 1984 Reality

Mimi

If 1984 were to happen right now and you woke up tomorrow living in a world exactly like the one in George Orwell's 1984 what would you miss most about the world in it's current state?

Personally, i would miss the simple joys of striking up a conversation with my friends about an amazing book i read, or an amazing movie i had just seen.

I'm a sentimental girl, so I'd miss love. There's none to be seen...in my opinion, this includes between the main character and others. My sweetie is in another country, too, and that country might fall inside one of the other two in the book. That'd be pretty poutish a situation.

I tell you what I'd do: I would organize a counter-counter-revolution, plant pretty flowers in designated spaces and make sure we got rid of Big Brother's enemies once and for all.

All hail Big Brother. We have always been at war with Eurasia.

This comment has been edited by an administrator.

Beer, you made me feel drunk reading that post. The font size changes were spooooky. o_o

Flowers are good. I'd plant marigolds if I were you.

Also: Yay, link!

It's more what I would hate, rather than miss.

Imagine being forced to get up and do exercise every day! That would finish me off.

I'd wheedle my way in and get a job with the thought police and eat strawberries every day.

If 1984 were to happen right now and you woke up tomorrow living in a world exactly like the one in George Orwell's 1984 what would you miss most about the world in it's current state?

Simple. The right to express my opinion (within the laws of decency, slander, etc.), in public, without fear of reprisal.

Here in Portugal we had a dictatorship for a long time (before I was born). I can't see myself in a world without freedom of speech. Imagine not being able to say what you think... *shudders*

It would also be complicated not being allowed to read everything I want. I love freedom above everything, so a 1984 state-like is something atrocious to me.

Dharma

Someone pointed out that Orwell had it backwards.

1984 isn't "Big Brother is watching you. Stay tuned for these messages from the Ministry of Truth."

It's "You are watching Big Brother! Stay tuned for these messages from our sponsors..."

Not backwards at all...our 'Big Brother' TV show (and other similar crap) is the real-life modern-day equivalent of the anodyne pap that is served up to keep the proles happy in Orwell's novel.

Back