• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Black Magician Trilogy - Trudi Canavan

hey people, this my first post on this forum! i have only just started reading books since i left school wich was earlier this year, after reading the lord of the rings that i borowed of a friend i encouraged myself to visit my local book shop and buy my very first book, it happened to be the black magician: the magicians guild, i absolutly loved it and it has opened up a whole new world for me, now i cant stop reading, i read the novice and now im half way through the high lord and i cant put it down. i cant wait to see wot other books are out ther for me!!!

Welcome to the forum, blob212! :) Why not post in the Intro forum and let us all welcome you properly? I'm really pleased for you that you've found some books you like. I'm looking forward to Trudi Canavan's next book. :)

Ah, always brings a smile to my face when previously reluctant readers have their appetites whetted by one book, it's so wonderful to strike gold, to find a book that just leaves you wanting more. I'm looking more and more intensely forward to reading these books myself :D

I finished these books this week and was, in the end, rather impressed and a little surprised.
I bought the first (like a sucker!) on the front cover alone, the sexy monochrome style paperbacks. I took the book on holiday and read through it more because I didn't have an alternative than due to addiction. I rarely leave a book unfinished, but this didn't catch me like some books do. I enjoyed it, but it lacked a little depth I like in books. I felt it lacked a little character description (mostly visual), which while wasn't a huge issue, did stand out as something lacking.
My girlfriend bought me the next book and I read that too, interested to see how it ended up. I felt this was an improvement, and I did race through having more time and getting more involved.
By this time, I was eager to get to the end, so when the High Lord came through, I digested that in a couple of days, and loved every page.
Not only was it a great standalone book, I felt it added the depth lacking in the other two books, so not only making for a great read, adding to the overall experience of reading the other two.

I was a little sad to see it end without tying up the relationship status of some main characters (won't mention who for those yet to read), but thought that left a lot to be presumed what with certain events (you all know them!). Definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a mostly easy going fantasy. Look forward to more from Trudy in the near future.

I got the same reaction from my little brother when i lent him the first dark elf book, although he has yet to buy any of his own but as i have an extensive collection its not an issue.

Vorian said:
I got the same reaction from my little brother when i lent him the first dark elf book, although he has yet to buy any of his own but as i have an extensive collection its not an issue.

Forgive my ignorance, but same reaction as what? A mix of opinions up there, not quite sure which of those your brother had a similar reaction to?
Thanks!

Heh, what happened to not becoming focused too much on one setting?

Tsk tsk.

I suppose when you start loving your own setting so much you want to share everything with your readers, this is what happens. I can see it happening to me as well :p I'll try to fight it, I swear.

I look forward to it also. The sequel will be good to see how things work out, and I guess the prequel will allow her to set any story she likes in her world.
I don't write but presume if I'd spend so long crafting a universe, it'd be a shame to just let it die after a couple of books. Variation is always good but it's understandable I guess.

Hi! I've justed joined the Book Forum!:)

I've just finished reading the Black Magician Trilogy. I thought it was great! .:D
I really liked the way Trudi Canavan puts so much supense and unpredictability in the books. They are definitely the best books I've read for a while.:D

I'm not sure what to read next though, has anyone got any ideas? :confused:

she's still writing the Priestess of the White and its two sequels which are set in another world, but i'm also looking forward to hearing more from Sonai (?spelling?)

Booksy said:

I've just finished reading the Black Magician Trilogy. I thought it was great! .:D
I really liked the way Trudi Canavan puts so much supense and unpredictability in the books. They are definitely the best books I've read for a while.:D

Pleased you enjoyed her first series, I thought it was well written to for first publications :)

There are various threads for recommendations here. I you looking specifically for YA material or any age range.

Im off to Easons to buy The Novice now. The black magician trilogy is great fantasy in my opinion- It is original and classic at the same time- genius.

Booksy said:

read anything by Raymond E. Feist or read a Forgotten Realms book- I reccomend Darkwalker On Moonshea by Douglas niles, its a great read.

Fistandantilus said:
read anything by Raymond E. Feist or read a Forgotten Realms book- I reccomend Darkwalker On Moonshea by Douglas niles, its a great read.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll see what its like.:)

And I heard that Trudi Canavan was going to write another series.
Is it true? If it is, then I'm going to look forward to that!:D

I borrowed the first two book of this trilogy today. :D I was very chuffed, because I though the library only had the first book, so I was extra pleased to see the second one on the shelf :D.

I just finished The Magicians' Guild, and loved it. :D I think it's such a great story - it's very detailed about the magicians' world, but it doesn't get so convoluted that you can't keep up.

I'm about to start reading The Novice now; I'm sure I'll enjoy it as much.

Back