• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Black Magician Trilogy - Trudi Canavan

I saw these books in Waterstones a few days ago while i was buying a Robert Winston book and i was very tempted! However im still struggling through Robin Hobbs Shamans Crossing and want to finish it before i go onto to another set. But it is next on my list!

I received "Priestess of the White" on Friday and am about halfway through it. I have to say that I'm slightly disappointed so far, in that I'm finding it difficult to engage with the main character, (unlike with Sonea in the BM trilogy), but the book is improving. :)

good to see people have enjoyed the Black Magician trilogy, i have the three books sitting on my unread stack.. i did have a quick preview, read the first few pages, and figured i would like it..

too many books, not near enough time.... :D

Hmm...the end of Shamens Crossing surprised me and i began to enjoy it very much :D
However the first book in the Black Magician trilogy is wating to prove itself. The story so far is good but i think the style of writing is prooving a little....simple, for lack of a better word. Its going ok though, time will tell.

Catalyst said:
The story so far is good but i think the style of writing is prooving a little....simple, for lack of a better word. Its going ok though, time will tell.

Although I really liked the trilogy and look forward to reading more Canavan books, I have to agree with Catalyst that the writing style sometimes leans more towards Young Adult. So does some of the storyline, especially in book 2 (e.g. Soneas problems with the other students bullying her). Not that this is necessarily a bad thing - I for one love to read YA books!

Doesn't look like I'll be much helpd in recommending novels, because I thought Magician's Guild was a pretty awful novel.

But a decent Young Adult series is the Borribles trilogy by Michael de Larrabeiti.

Hmmm....well, I read them a couple of months ago. I really enjoyed them. I was also reading Carol Berg's Bridge of D'Arnath series, which I also enjoyed. It's amazing how superb the Young Adult fantasy scene is getting. We had a group of 10-11 year old boys at the Barnes & Noble I worked at that would meet every week and talk about fantasy books. It made me so happy.

finally read this trilogy.. i hadn't realised it really was more a young adult read than anything else.. finished all three books in record time once i'd started.. it was an enjoyable, easy read, but over too soon...

It's one of my favorites, even if it is as simplistic as everyone says. I'm not very good at making those kinds of judgements, so I wouldn't have known it was YA, which is not so bad since I isially don't go to that section. I stick to fantasy, folklore, and women's studies mostly.

I'm wondering if I can get the names of all the books in this series. I just read this thread through, and decided that all of your reviews were positive on the books. I like the sound of them, and hope I like them as much as all of you!

Back