• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

the book you cannot drop after you start the fist page?

very recently, a book by ernest J. Gaines, a lesson before dying, on recommendation from someone on the bookforum.

and with mixed feelings and lots of thinking.

Animal Farm by George Orwell
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin (well, I am reading it currently).
There are others, but I can't think of them right now.

Ashley, I finished The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks today. It was good book. It was light and easy to read that mean quickly to read in couple of days.

"The Corrections", by

The Corrections , by Jonathan Franzen -- but I'm not ashamed to admit that I read Kinsey Milhone and Dick Francis, too! Tony Hillerman. Try to put down a Dick Francis or a Tony Hlllerman book.

Go ahead, I dare you.

:)

I read The Princess Bride in one sitting. Another novel that gripped me like that was Les filles de Caleb par Arlette Cousture.

SillyWabbit said:
I have so little time tor read, or for anything thease days. Of coarse I have plenty of time to spam the book forum :D

I'm really enjoying House of Spirits right now and read it when ever I get the chance. It's a great book and really draws me into it's world.

Regards
SillyWabbit
Wabbit, you got it! House of Spirits is a brilliant book. I put it off for so long, but once I started, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It grabs you from the word go.

Lolita is another.
Love, Toni Morrison
Rebecca, without the introduction by Sally Beauman, which cheats the reader by already discussing things that will happen, and attempting to 'understand' Daphne du Marier's thought vs her life!

avidreader55 said:
The Thorn Birds by C. McCullough
Ah, Avidreader55, Ashlea, Lyra! Haven't read the book, but the movie came in two parts on telly and was amazing. I find it hard to watch a movie then read a book. Done it only once for Lolita.

Eugen...

"without the introduction by Sally Beauman, which cheats the reader by already discussing things that will happen, and attempting to 'understand' Daphne du Marier's thought vs her life!"

(I haven't figured out all the mechanics of posting around here yet, but I will!)

I usually like to google the author after reading a really interesting book; it adds to my enjoyment and understanding of "the process". For instance, now I'm curious to know why Daphne wrote the way she did.

Must have had something to do with Daddy. Also, I have enjoyed the two movies I've seen made about this story. The last was British and on PBS, and it was excellent.

Well, so was the old one -- with, with... Joan Fontaine?

StillILearn said:
"without the introduction by Sally Beauman, which cheats the reader by already discussing things that will happen, and attempting to 'understand' Daphne du Marier's thought vs her life!"
Apparently, much of the book was written not in Cornwall, her domicile, but in a fierce Egyptian summer where she was both homesick and loathe to her wifely duties. This with a 'guilt sense of ineptitude' reflects aspects of Du Marier's own complex personality in her two characters, so Beauman says.
I usually like to google the author after reading a really interesting book; it adds to my enjoyment and understanding of "the process". For instance, now I'm curious to know why Daphne wrote the way she did.
After is perfectly alright. Surely not before?
Also, I have enjoyed the two movies I've seen made about this story. The last was British and on PBS, and it was excellent. Well, so was the old one -- with, with... Joan Fontaine?
I'll surprise you that, despite my enjoyment of the book, and living in England, I haven't watched either movie!

woah, my thread is still alive.

my current reading that I could hardly drop:

The Siren of Titan.

A short History about Nearly Everything.

I think like a lot of people, HP and TOOTP was unputdownable. Within 3 days of me receiving it (sorry I preordered it) 3 different people had read it.
A Short History of Nearly Everything is fantastic, everything science should be, interesting, diverse and full of mad scientists.

My all time best book for not putting down until I finished it has to be "The curious incident of the dog in the night-time" - the story is good, but the characterisation of someone with Asperger's syndrome was amazing, it made me go out and find out more about it.

"The Dharma Bums" by Jack Kerouac
"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick
"1984" by George Orwell
"On the Road" by Jack Kerouac
so far, anything i have read by Charles Bukowski
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams
"Der Steppenwolf" by Herman Hesse
"Justiz" by Friedrich Dürrenmatt
"Portnoy's Complaint" by Philip Roth

these are just some books i have read in a really fast time, i'm sure there are some more, but i can't remember them right now ;)

I'm also reading "David Copperfield" pretty fast, though i'm not totally finished yet

Currently reading "Time to Murder and Create" by Lawrence Block and wanted to chuck a sickie so I could finish it! I am not allowed to read at work because I tune everything out too much.

The book is only pamphlet sized anyway.

Shutter Island

This is my first post at this forum!

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane was excellent and I couldn't put it down. I also enjoyed Secret History and the Lake of Dead Languages.

Since I spend a lot of my time reading each day, it is not hard for me to complete books that are less than 300 pages in one sitting. However, I cannot remember all the books I read in one sitting through all those years of reading. But recently, there are many good books that requires me only one sitting to finish them: (this list includes some of the books I read few years ago too)

1. Tailchaser's Song
2. Mathematics in Fun and in Earnest
3. The Five People You Meet In Heaven
4. The Da Vinci Code (I remember reading this book during a weekend for more 12 hours straight, but not including time for bathroom and eating a snack though...)
5. All Harry Potter books
6. De Magnete
7. The Once and Future King

There are many more books that I complete in one sitting but I cannot remember all those to list them. In addition, it would become a long list that takes up a lot of space in this post.

Anyway, happy reading your favorite books! :)

Back