• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

the book you cannot drop after you start the fist page?

Primo Levi prefaces "If This is a Man" with this;

"You who live safe in your warm houses,you who find , returning in the evening, hot food and friendly faces: Consider if this is a man who works in the mud, who does not know peace, who fights for a scrap of bread, who dies because of a yes or a no. Consider if this is a woman, without hair and without name, with no more strength to remember, her eyes empty and her womb cold like a frog in winter. Meditate that this came about: I commend these words to you. Carve them in your hearts, at home, in the street, going to bed, rising; repeat them to your children, or may your house fall apart, may ilness impede you, may your children turn their faces from you."

Powerful stuff, just try putting the book down after that.

An addict?

The last time it happened to me was with "The Faraway Tree - Stories" by Enid Blyton, but it happens to me ALL THE TIME!!! I am a blessed person or just and addict to anything that contains words!!! Hehe ...​

You should read the Dictionary then.

Cheers, Martin
Prophet.gif

Great idea!

Sounds like major fun to me .. and I'll get educated while I am it too!!! Great combo!!!​

ControlArmsNow said:
Primo Levi prefaces "If This is a Man" with this;

"You who live safe in your warm houses,you who find , returning in the evening, hot food and friendly faces: Consider if this is a man who works in the mud, who does not know peace, who fights for a scrap of bread, who dies because of a yes or a no. Consider if this is a woman, without hair and without name, with no more strength to remember, her eyes empty and her womb cold like a frog in winter. Meditate that this came about: I commend these words to you. Carve them in your hearts, at home, in the street, going to bed, rising; repeat them to your children, or may your house fall apart, may ilness impede you, may your children turn their faces from you."

Powerful stuff, just try putting the book down after that.

I think I need to read this book. Thanks for putting down the preface here. :)

The Mists of Avalon by M. Zimmer Bradley
Too Deep for Tears by K. Davis
The Eye of the World Series by R. Jordan
The Thorn Birds by C. McCullough
The Far Pavillions by M M Kaye

avidreader55 said:
The Mists of Avalon by M. Zimmer Bradley
Too Deep for Tears by K. Davis
The Eye of the World Series by R. Jordan
The Thorn Birds by C. McCullough
The Far Pavillions by M M Kaye
Wow. We have similar tastes. From your list, I've read The Mists of Avalon, The Thorn Birds, and that monster of Jordon's.

The Mists of Avalon has become my favorite version of the Arthurian Legend. I just think it's incredible to hear the story told from the female viewpoint. Have you read The Forest House and The Lady of Avalon? Although I still like Mists best, those two were very good as well.

As for Jordon, I really enjoyed the series until I finished reading Lord of Chaos. I've read others after that (may be behind one or two by now though), but after spending so long reading LoC only to find that the sole purpose was to stir stuff up, and that nothing got resolved, the series lost a lot of it's appeal for me.

Martin said:
Anyway, is The Mist Of Avalon really that good?

Cheers, Martin
Prophet.gif
Yes, it really was. Although I have always been a great fan of Merlin, I quickly grew tired of all things relating to King Arthur. So I hesitated a LONG time before finally picking up this book -- I just didn't think I could get into yet another book about Camelot and crew.

But this was completely different. It's the story of the women behind the Legend and was actually quite a delight to read.

I have never looked at a priest the same way since watching the Thornbirds -I can't imagine them without jodphurs under their dresses :D .

{Tigress} said:
Wow. We have similar tastes. From your list, I've read The Mists of Avalon, The Thorn Birds, and that monster of Jordon's.
Try the other two. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm not much of a cryer, but Too Deep for Tears was a killer....

The Mists of Avalon has become my favorite version of the Arthurian Legend. I just think it's incredible to hear the story told from the female viewpoint. Have you read The Forest House and The Lady of Avalon? Although I still like Mists best, those two were very good as well.

I haven't read those. I will put them on my list. And I agree about the Mists of Avalon. It's amazing to read it from Morgaine's point of view.

As for Jordon, I really enjoyed the series until I finished reading Lord of Chaos. I've read others after that (may be behind one or two by now though), but after spending so long reading LoC only to find that the sole purpose was to stir stuff up, and that nothing got resolved, the series lost a lot of it's appeal for me.
I've enjoyed the books by Jordan for the most part. Just last week, after reading New Spring - a prequel, I spent a short while wondering which Ajah I would have chosen. I think Brown. Can you guess why?

Just imagine.. Being able to devote as much time as one wished to study history.. to read...

And, yes, I do have a life other than reading. :D

The Dale Brown books are pretty addictive once you get into them and there usually hard to put down once you start reding them. Paul Gascoignes book is pretty good to read and i have to force myself to put it down before i go to bed

watercrystal said:
I am wondering which is the book that you cannot stop after reading its first couple of pages? :rolleyes: the book that impressed you, striked you

The last books I remember doing this with were The Cutting Room by Louise Walsh and Amsterdam by Ian McEwan. I read these both in the same day.

Vox and The Fermata both by Nicholson Baker were two that I couldn't put down. They are short, but hilarious and sexy. I highly recommend them to those who aren't offended by adult content.

Back