1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Brontë Sisters

Discussion in 'Author Discussion' started by Ian Sanders, May 30, 2002.

1. Ronny

Ronny Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    Dark Places - Gillian Flynn
    You didn't have smileys in that post.

fiedler likes this.
  2. Meadow337

Meadow337 Former Moderator

oh ... blame it on the phone

fiedler likes this.
  3. Toni Ressaire

Toni Ressaire New Member

Currently Reading:
    a manuscript
    I've read all of the Bronte books and loved every one. The Professor was one of my favorites, but I think the best-loved is Villette.
    Jane Eyre
    by Charlotte Bronte

Villette
    by Charlotte Bronte

The Professor
    by Charlotte Bronte

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
    by Anne Bronte

Agnes Grey
    by Anne Bronte

Wuthering Heights
    by Emily Bronte

fiedler likes this.
  4. Toni Ressaire

Toni Ressaire New Member

Currently Reading:
    a manuscript
    Thank you so much for the links! I would love to visit these sites. I'll have to add them to next year's travel agenda... after my daughter's wedding!

fiedler likes this.
  5. direstraits

direstraits Well-Known Member

I just finished WH, and I have to say I'm a little undecided about the book. It's so easy to write off WH as an overly negative piece of work, what with the strange structure of the entire book and the almost unbelievable antagonistic nature of the characters.

Jane Eyre is like Pugsley Addams to WH's Wednesday Addams.

I didn't dislike the book. I loved JE more, but I don't think WH is that far behind. I'm thinking it isn't really that easy to write a book like WH at all, and I had to admire the tenacious quality of the book.

The one thing that struck me in WH was why oh why the oppressed characters in the book (Catherine the younger, or Isabella) just *run away* from their positions? I mean, I suppose I know it's a societal issue, but geez, they should just pack up and leave. They would wander off for days (and be somewhere like 5 miles from where they left), be exhausted and upon the point of death from lack of food but they will be taken in by a well-to-do family who will take care of them. Then they will find out that the well-to-do family is actually real relations, and they will receive a windfall from a distant wealthy uncle and they'll be rich! And they don't have to think of either Heathcliff or Linton!!!

fiedler likes this.
  6. Meadow337

Meadow337 Former Moderator

LOL because its a Victorian Melodrama that would be far too nice an ending :) Its supposed to be all tortured and tragic.

fiedler likes this.
  7. direstraits

direstraits Well-Known Member

That's probably why Emily died so soon after WH, that bloody elder sister of hers didn't want to share the ending!

fiedler likes this.
  8. fiedler

fiedler New Member

Currently Reading:
    SHIRLEY by Charlotte Bronte
    Well I preferred JANE EYRE to WUTHERING HEIGHTS; mainly because I found the latter to be a little too bleak, black, and cruel, for my liking!

9. Artful

Artful New Member

My favorite is Villette.
    I'm not a huge fan of Wuthering Heights ( I know that's an unpopular opinion:)).
    Recently, the New York Times started to run some very overdue obituaries on influential women, and one of the first ones was about Charlotte Bronte. It was very interesting