• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Brontë Sisters

I've read all of the Bronte books and loved every one. The Professor was one of my favorites, but I think the best-loved is Villette.
Jane Eyre
by Charlotte Bronte

Villette
by Charlotte Bronte

The Professor
by Charlotte Bronte

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
by Anne Bronte

Agnes Grey
by Anne Bronte

Wuthering Heights
by Emily Bronte

Thank you so much for the links! I would love to visit these sites. I'll have to add them to next year's travel agenda... after my daughter's wedding!

I just finished WH, and I have to say I'm a little undecided about the book. It's so easy to write off WH as an overly negative piece of work, what with the strange structure of the entire book and the almost unbelievable antagonistic nature of the characters.

Jane Eyre is like Pugsley Addams to WH's Wednesday Addams.

I didn't dislike the book. I loved JE more, but I don't think WH is that far behind. I'm thinking it isn't really that easy to write a book like WH at all, and I had to admire the tenacious quality of the book.

The one thing that struck me in WH was why oh why the oppressed characters in the book (Catherine the younger, or Isabella) just *run away* from their positions? I mean, I suppose I know it's a societal issue, but geez, they should just pack up and leave. They would wander off for days (and be somewhere like 5 miles from where they left), be exhausted and upon the point of death from lack of food but they will be taken in by a well-to-do family who will take care of them. Then they will find out that the well-to-do family is actually real relations, and they will receive a windfall from a distant wealthy uncle and they'll be rich! And they don't have to think of either Heathcliff or Linton!!!

I just finished WH, and I have to say I'm a little undecided about the book. It's so easy to write off WH as an overly negative piece of work, what with the strange structure of the entire book and the almost unbelievable antagonistic nature of the characters.

Jane Eyre is like Pugsley Addams to WH's Wednesday Addams.

I didn't dislike the book. I loved JE more, but I don't think WH is that far behind. I'm thinking it isn't really that easy to write a book like WH at all, and I had to admire the tenacious quality of the book.

The one thing that struck me in WH was why oh why the oppressed characters in the book (Catherine the younger, or Isabella) just *run away* from their positions? I mean, I suppose I know it's a societal issue, but geez, they should just pack up and leave. They would wander off for days (and be somewhere like 5 miles from where they left), be exhausted and upon the point of death from lack of food but they will be taken in by a well-to-do family who will take care of them. Then they will find out that the well-to-do family is actually real relations, and they will receive a windfall from a distant wealthy uncle and they'll be rich! And they don't have to think of either Heathcliff or Linton!!!

LOL because its a Victorian Melodrama that would be far too nice an ending :) Its supposed to be all tortured and tragic.

Well I preferred JANE EYRE to WUTHERING HEIGHTS; mainly because I found the latter to be a little too bleak, black, and cruel, for my liking!

My favorite is Villette.
I'm not a huge fan of Wuthering Heights ( I know that's an unpopular opinion:)).
Recently, the New York Times started to run some very overdue obituaries on influential women, and one of the first ones was about Charlotte Bronte. It was very interesting

Back