• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Child in Us

part of me will never grow up considering my lack of a "real" childhood

i still sleep with a teddy bear. i always did, now i have the same one the past 6-7 years. he's been in so many states and Poland by now. i mostly used him as a pillow the past year or so.. he was the perfect shape/softness i suppose.. but i still cuddle up with him.

i have this odd obbession with sheep. well, it was a lot "worse" in 8th grade, but i think i've continued it as an excuse to get excited over something like a little kid.

this thread reminds me of my father and my exbf loving cartoons. my dad used to watch cartoons all the time with me.

I still have my teddy bears as well. The funny thing is that my husband has taken a particular liking to one of them (there are 2). The bears reside on the bed, me husband will always grab Grey Bear. It is so funny to me when I wake up early for work and roll over to see my hubby ( 6 feet tall, hairy, big, burly, intimidating guy) curled up with a teddy bear.

I also still have my baby pillow. Of course, my mother still owns her baby pillow as well so that may just be a family neuroses. Besides that, I am just really darn silly. My hubby and I are perpetually pulling pranks on one another and playing all sorts of dumb games. We sure do have a heck of a lot of fun though!

My hubby? Still watches cartoons. He actually records particular cartoon so that he can put them on in the morning before he goes to work.

I still have a lot of my childhood possessions. I find it hard to part with them because it feels like I am parting with wonderful memories. My mother made me go through all my stuff to see if there was anything I could donate to a church yard sale and I found it difficult to part with more than a few old books and movies that I knew I would never read again. Hehe, it explains why I am a pack-rat and have no room for my current obsessions like anime DVDs.

I happen to like my child-like behavior even though the adults in my family are constantly criticizing me for it. Like being asked why I still wore shirts with pictures on them when I'd wear Powerpuff Girls or something like that, for example. Speaking of which, I haven't worn that one for a spell so I might adorn it to go to the movies later today. ;) Give the Mickey Mouse shirts a rest, hehe.

One of my professors at uni has a strong interest in Walt Disney and his creations. So strong that he actually puts together lectures on the very same Walt Disney... I mean, that's taking childhood to a whole new level. It's awesome. The professor is a great teacher too because he at times shows this almost childish enthusiasm for what he's doing and is genuinely disappointed when a student didn't enjoy a book he enjoyed and thus included in the syllabus.

He's great :) Long live those who are in touch with their inner child.

Iv always said that i dont want to grow up to be an old fuddyduddy! But somehow i think it may be inevitable! Im turning into my mother i think. i think im half and half. Half the time im the grumpy oldie but my love of fantasy and fairytales keeps me young and keeps my imagination growing! Im only 21 lol!

Speaking from observations, I think people become grown up when responsibilities are pushed upon them and they have to strive for some goal other than the pure living and enjoyment of life. Work and school has a lot to do with it. I think old people that are retired become more childlike than people that work or go to school. I guess it has something to do with stress and pressure to do something you don't desire. A lot of people have told me that I behave childly, and I used to try to cover it up by being really serious and determined during my teens. Rather than try to make friends, I would study for school, looking as if I had a purpose in life. Now I see the only purpose in life is living. I just recently started reading comic books again and Harry Potter books.

Back