• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Child in Us

Thelma

A poet in my country used to say that a writer should remain faithful to the child he was. To put it more simply, in my case, I'm sometimes remember the child I used to be and behave like a child. Don't get me wrong, I'm not foolish or anything but:
1. I have my favourite cuddly toys, a Christmas elf with big green eyes and my nice turtle with hat and scarf.
2. My mug which has a nose and a funny face, my favourite coffee mug.
3. My budgies. etc.....
What about you?

I personally don't think I'll ever grow up. I have my responsibilities as an adult (job, family, church, etc.), but I will never deny myself or others around me the enjoyment of just playing and reverting back to the pleasure that comes with being a child. I'm almost 27, and I still sleep with a blanket that was given to me the day I was born. :)

kelliebelle said:
I'm almost 27, and I still sleep with a blanket that was given to me the day I was born. :)

i can't really think of anything that connects me still with my childhood, except that i'm inside still a child and that i'm sometimes remember this times!!
but i don't have anything, what i can touch what connects me!!
hm.. is the first time i think about that, that is sad!! :(

I am peter pan :)

Arther C Clarke said it best when he said "When we lose our sense of wonder we are no longer human"

The world is a wonderful place full of magic and so many amazing things to know and experience. Why would you want to "grow up?" I want to touch, taste, feel, see, know it all! I want to run through thunder storms, kick piles of leaves, build snow men, eat chocolate till I'm sick, run just for the exhilaration! I want to do all that and MORE!

What does growing up mean? That I prefer to watch the news? That I forget how to smile? That I frown and eating my food with my fingers? That I would never run through the rain because I might get cold? It means that I have fogotten how wonderful creating something is? That I no longer want to draw and doodle? That I know longer want to laugh at next to nothing? It means I would consider not doing something because it would not be sensible? **** that. I only have one life and I'm not going to grow up at all. Not one damn bit.

All "growing up" means when people use the term is "CONFORM" All they mean is "to be normal" and to act with in well defined and laid down social parameters of what behaviour is expected of an "adult"

I'm not crazy. It's the rest of the world.

Now... Who want's to go roller blading with me down a huge hill I know?

I don't think growing up is something you chose, some things you thought where funny as a kid just stops being funny. Birthdays and christmas doesn't mean the same thing they did when you where a kid.
I haven't saved anything from my childhood but since I'm still not grown up I still have time.

I think we should all strive to remain childlike to a certain extent (not to be confused with childish). What's the fun, otherwise?

The only thing I've kept from my childhood are a sack of marbles I won in a schoolyard 'keepsies' game. I'm the biggest kid in our family - the first to try something new, the one who wants to ride every ride twice and the one who doesn't want to go home yet. :)

kelliebelle said:
I still sleep with a blanket that was given to me the day I was born. :)
I still have a bear that was given to me by a friend of my mother the day I was born (nearly thirty years ago). It is up in the top of my closet where I can see it all the time (I dare not touch it, the stuffing is turning to dust and makes a mess).
My in-laws think I am a total nut because I am excitable (and passionate, like wabbit) and interested in so many things. Life is too short to be old.
HEY WABBITT!!!! Wait for me!!! I on my way!!!WHOOPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ha ha

Isn't it funny how we spend the greater part of our youth wishing to be "grown up", and the greater part of our adult years wishing to be kids again?

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, and I'm over 40 in people years....

I'm going to try snowboarding this year. Dropped into a 6 foot halfpipe on rollerblades last year. Still can do a one-and-a-half flip off a regular diving board.

I don't have a specific treasure left over from childhood because I think I'm still living part of it now.

I read a good quote about childhood or growing up. Think I actually read it in a sig. Maybe here or another forum? :)

It goes something like "Childhood is over when you start remembering it" :)

Am I a child at heart still? Am I an adult? Pfft. It's all just labels. Who gives a shit? Just live life as best you can. Just BE.

The child in me is my unborn identical twin brother still gestating after all these years. Other people have been unkind enough to ascribe the swelling to my single handed sponsorship of the local brewery. It's a twin!

I still have my first Barbie Doll. She's wearing the dress my mom hand-sewed while she was in the hospital for a some ailment or other when I was about 5. I got the doll when I was three. Of course, I'm not THAT much older than that now:rolleyes:

Wabbit said:
I am peter pan :)

Arther C Clarke said it best when he said "When we lose our sense of wonder we are no longer human"

The world is a wonderful place full of magic and so many amazing things to know and experience. Why would you want to "grow up?" I want to touch, taste, feel, see, know it all! I want to run through thunder storms, kick piles of leaves, build snow men, eat chocolate till I'm sick, run just for the exhilaration! I want to do all that and MORE!

What does growing up mean? That I prefer to watch the news? That I forget how to smile? That I frown and eating my food with my fingers? That I would never run through the rain because I might get cold? It means that I have fogotten how wonderful creating something is? That I no longer want to draw and doodle? That I know longer want to laugh at next to nothing? It means I would consider not doing something because it would not be sensible? **** that. I only have one life and I'm not going to grow up at all. Not one damn bit.

All "growing up" means when people use the term is "CONFORM" All they mean is "to be normal" and to act with in well defined and laid down social parameters of what behaviour is expected of an "adult"

I'm not crazy. It's the rest of the world.

Now... Who want's to go roller blading with me down a huge hill I know?

I will. :)

That was so well said. I couldn't agree with you more. The day we forget how to play is the day we start getting old and I have absolutely no intention of ever getting old. Yes, I have my responsibilities as a mother and in my job, but that doesn't mean I have to stop playing.

Back