• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The "Currently Reading:" thingamefoo

Kookamoor

Is there an easier way to update our 'Currently Reading' book, other than going into the User Profile page? I'm just being a bit lazy, really, but I was wondering...

Could the amount of characters one can type into the box perhaps be limited? Some people type more than just the name and author of the books they're reading, which kind of screws up the layout and makes you scroll horizontally if you want to read their posts.

Do we really need the currently reading thread? It shows what we are currently reading below our screen name.

I couldn't agree more with you, lies.

RainbowGurl - but what about when people change their 'currently reading' tag? I like to go back and see what people *were* reading. And it's a place to discuss people's 'currently reading' tags. I think the thread we don't need is the 'Just finished reading' thread - isn't that the same as 'currently reading' only with a temporal variation? Seems a little pointless to me...

Some book forums have an entire forum section for current reads in which you make a thread for your current read and post your reasons for choosing the book, initial thoughts and possibly final thoughts when you've finished the book.

The "currently reading thread" and "recently finished thread" here are just awful for actual discussions since they will be lost the mass of the posts.

Wolhay said:
Some book forums have an entire forum section for current reads in which you make a thread for your current read and post your reasons for choosing the book, initial thoughts and possibly final thoughts when you've finished the book.

The "currently reading thread" and "recently finished thread" here are just awful for actual discussions since they will be lost the mass of the posts.
Yeah, but we've got our fiction, non-fiction, etc. subfora, so I think we're good. Still, I wouldn't get rid of the currently reading thread just yet, because some people don't open new threads unless they're sure other people might be interested, so the thread is a good testing ground for them.

I would, however, lock one of threads that are open now (either currently reading or just finished reading).

I agree with Wolhay, I've never bothered looking at the Currently Reading thread and probably never will; it's just too dauntingly big to browse. Why can't people just start a thread to discuss the individual book or author they're reading...? That way it will always be there for others to add to later if they read the same book.

Well, they CAN start a thread for individual authors or books you are reading. Nobody is stopping anybody from doing so. I have done so myself before. You can do both things. You can start an individual thread, post soley in the "currently reading", or do both, or do neither. Everybody is free to do whatever they wish. :)

Kookamoor said:
I couldn't agree more with you, lies.

RainbowGurl - but what about when people change their 'currently reading' tag? I like to go back and see what people *were* reading. And it's a place to discuss people's 'currently reading' tags. I think the thread we don't need is the 'Just finished reading' thread - isn't that the same as 'currently reading' only with a temporal variation? Seems a little pointless to me...
I thought it would be easier to have the just finished thread so you can discuss the book you have just finished and t the same time you can see what they are currently reading, if that makes sense :confused:

I agree with those that think a “currently reading” thread is pretty silly, I am in favour of a “finished reading” thread, as one may chose to make some comments. And therefore start a small conversation.
I agree the page amount makes it blindingly daunting and not very welcoming.

On another forum, some time ago I started the idea of breaking it down to months. Every month, at the start of the month, a new thread is started “Reading: June”…this allows people to discuss what the are reading and/or just finished for the period of that specific month. The page amount doesn’t add up to too much, so is usually an inviting thread for new people, etc.
It’s also easier to reference older posts (i.e. someone asking “has anyone read The Sound and the Fury?”, it’s much easier to say, “yes, look at the February posts”, as opposed to, “Ummm, look back around page 1’768”).

Just thoughts,
j

I rather like the idea of 'what are you reading in June(this month)?'' threads. We used to do it informally a few years ago, but it gave way to the currently reading sticky. It would make for easier browsing.

I think using the 'just finished reading' posts is a good way to start new discussions. As wabbit said, anyone can start a new thread. Just post a comment like, "I've started a thread on Book abc", then post the link to it.

Ell said:
I rather like the idea of 'what are you reading in June(this month)?'' threads. We used to do it informally a few years ago, but it gave way to the currently reading sticky. It would make for easier browsing.

I agree. Threads that go on forever are just…well, not very nice.
I’d be happy to start one on July first, as I’m on Euro time I’m in work while many of the members are sleeping. But I fear that more than likely, if not out of habit, people would just keep the other thread alive…but we could keep reminding them.

I’ll leave it in your hands, oh might admin-powered person ;)

I think using the 'just finished reading' posts is a good way to start new discussions. As wabbit said, anyone can start a new thread. Just post a comment like, "I've started a thread on "Book abc", then post the link to it.

Indeed. I never make a comment of what I *am* reading because I tend to pick up and put down things -not too mention it’s all the more pointless when we all have the little profile option-thingie. I’d rather just wait until I’m done then make some comments. And yes, totally, it has led to a smattering of ping-pong conversation, which is always the point.
And yes, individual threads are good things if the talk gets in-depths. I made many comments on _The Namesake_ on the ‘just read’ thread not knowing there was an individual thread, so now those comments are pretty much lost as they are back on page xxxxxxxxxx and not very reference’able.

j

lies said:
Could the amount of characters one can type into the box perhaps be limited? Some people type more than just the name and author of the books they're reading, which kind of screws up the layout and makes you scroll horizontally if you want to read their posts.
Darren, if you ever find the time for this, I'd really appreciate it.

Back