• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Dark Tower series - please no spoliers

Rincewind

Before anyone says anything I know there are already threads about this but they contain spoliers.

I'm a newbie to this particlular series of books, though I have read a lot of King's other work.
I've read the first 2 and I'm about 70 odd pages into part 3. So far I think it's an excellent series but very different from his other stuff, more myth/adventure.

I just wondered what the general opinion was of this series, without giving anything away.
Some say King is not as good as he used to be but I don't think that is the case jusdging by these books. :)

Some say King is not as good as he used to be but I don't think that is the case judging by these books.

I think that when people say he isn't as good as he used to be, they're referring to the past 5 years or so... and the first four books in the DT series were published '82, '87, '91, and '97 (althought he revised the first (The Gunslinger) in 2003).

Anyway, it's definitely worth your time, I'm sure you'll enjoy the series.

I have read the first 3 books and I have started Wizard & Glass (I took a break for a bit) I thought they were great so far.

I have never read any mid world (Tolkien) type of books in my life, and have never read any one of King's other writings either.

I am drawn to The Dark Tower......When I was reading the first 3 books, sometimes I felt like I was walking with them. I love it so far

I will get back to Wizard & Glass as soon as I'm finished with the book I'm reading now....

Isabell said:
I will get back to Wizard & Glass as soon as I'm finished with the book I'm reading now....

Which, being The Witching Hour, will be in about ten years... :D

He rambles a lot, and there's a LOT of reading to be done which doesn't involve them getting any closer to their destination. However, King remains a great story teller. I'm usually disapointed with his endings (refering to his other works) but I still enjoy getting there.

I read the first and I loved it. It really shows his talent as an author. It's amazing how he started them so long again and has kept up with them until just recently.
What do you guys think is the best of the Dark Tower series?

Wastelands

Wastelands was my favorite.
okay, I'm going to put a spoiler up, but you know, it's up to you if you want to read it or not (so if you haven't read book 3, don't read my spoiler).
I love Wastelands because it's where everyone comes together. I really enjoyed the story of Jake walking around NY, trying to find his place (it obviously wasn't home). I also like how Oy joined the group. When they all cross the bridge and OY falls, I thought the love between him and Jake was very touching. It was sweet.
Welcome to the book forum Sonny673 :)

Libra6Poe said:
Wastelands was my favorite.
okay, I'm going to put a spoiler up, but you know, it's up to you if you want to read it or not (so if you haven't read book 3, don't read my spoiler).
I love Wastelands because it's where everyone comes together. I really enjoyed the story of Jake walking around NY, trying to find his place (it obviously wasn't home). I also like how Oy joined the group. When they all cross the bridge and OY falls, I thought the love between him and Jake was very touching. It was sweet.
Welcome to the book forum Sonny673 :)
My friend just finished reading the 5th, and he told me the 3rd is made up of Rolan telling a story, the entire time. While it seems intriguing, it also seems like a huge filler so King could just extend the series a book. I probably shouldn't be saying, since it could very well be informative, but that's how it comes off. I really hope to continue reading them shortly.

Dark Tower IV: Wizard & Glass

Book 4
Actually it's Wizard & Glass (Book 4) where Roland is telling a story the whole time. He tells a lot about his background, and how he started on his journey toward the Dark Tower

Book 3
In Wastelands, it's the completion of the "ka-tet" and their journey out of the Wastelands (and much more of course)

sonny673 said:
Anytime, enjoy your stay. ;) And also, if you want to make a spoiler, it's just like the quote tags, except you replace the word "quote" with the word "spoiler".

It's a great book, and when I started reading it, it was never going to end. King said he'll not live enough time to complete it. I read the first three consecutively, and years later, the 4th. They're kind of expensive books here, but I'll buy them as soon as I change my current job. I think it's worthwhile (the wait and the money).
I was incredibly possessed with those books, and that feat only happened to me again about three years ago, with Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum".

I'm currently reading the first book (as you can see :p ) and I'm finding it really intriguing and extremely engrossing. I will definately be picking up the other books in the series as I can't stand leaving a good tale unfinished. It will be especially good as the last book of the series has already come out so I won't have to wait (I'm not very patient ;) )

~MonkeyCatcher~

Back