• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The "Death" Thread

Marquis Rex

Ever been asked whether you'd rather burn out or fade away?

To me there's nothing more romantic then dying in a blaze of glory! Going down for a lost cause perhaps, a glorious lost cause....

What is your favourite death scene in a film or series or general TV?
My favourite is the death of the character "Kowalski" in the epic classic road trip film "Vanishing Point".

Kowalski is the last true free spirit where speed signified freedom for the soul in an era before political correctness and other such "thoughtcrime" brainwashing.

He goes on an epic cross country trail in his white 1971 Dodge Challenger, for no particular reason, and realises the contradictions of life, and how now, he has little to live for and decides to go head first into a road block made just for him, consisting of bull dozers and excitedly antisipating police.....and concerned onlookers.....

Well, you have to be impressed by the death sequence (or lack of) in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid!! Whats that, half the Mexican army (i think it was Mexico) standing outside your little hut ... lets charge at them guns blazing!! Quite a way to go! :)

Of course, theres always the Alamo too, a few hundred people holding a rickity old fort against the Mexican army (Again with the Mexican army!! :D Not one for fair fights are they!!). They all died of course, but they sure did it in style!

Phil

Well, I suppose you're gonna tell me this isn't gonna count since he came back to life, but...

Spock's death in Start Trek II. Actually, I HATED it because I've been in love with Spock since I was four years old, but it's my favorite death scene.

ooh i loved that death scene with tom cruise and the king of the samurai warriors in "the last samurai" movie. hes in pain yet his interests are to the flowers being perfectly in bloom, his death was sad but beautiful. and i wondered did it really happen like that, because if it did, he must have been an interesting man.

Actually the only thing you can be sure of in life is Death and taxes....

Tigress, actually I was thinking of putting down the death scene in ST 2 myself.I was also thinking of putting down the death of Michael Eddington, the Maquis leader in Star Trek Deep Space Nine....

Spock's death in Start Trek II. Actually, I HATED it because I've been in love with Spock since I was four years old, but it's my favorite death scene.
Star Trek doesn't count, you know? He came back to lif, I tell 'ya!

Anyway, the death-scene in Thelma & Louise kinda struck a chord.

Cheers, Martin

Marquis Rex said:
Tigress, actually I was thinking of putting down the death scene in ST 2 myself.I was also thinking of putting down the death of Michael Eddington, the Maquis leader in Star Trek Deep Space Nine....

That's cool. Putting all joking aside (although my addiction to Spock is no laughing matter ;) ), what makes that scene incredible, even for those not obsessed with Spock, or Start Trek really, is that it embodies our ideal of the "ultimate sacrifice". I'm probably too much of a chicken to ever find myself in a position to "go out in a blaze of glory", but I'd like to think if the situation arose, that I would make the same choices Spock made.

Oh, and feel free to call me Tig, no need to be all formal with me. :p

Martin said:
Star Trek doesn't count, you know? He came back to lif, I tell 'ya!

I knew you'd say that -- hence my disclaimer:

{Tigress} said:
Well, I suppose you're gonna tell me this isn't gonna count since he came back to life, but...

Who do you think I was thinkin' of when I wrote that? LOL

How sweet, you were thinking of me?!

Do you often think of me when you write?

Cheers, Martin

Are we not all, just fading away? Even the greatest of us, from times past, are just hushed whispers or a fragment of what they may have done are trapped like butterfly in dry books.

A blaze of glory? One moment? One moment on fire with your heart in flames and about to burst and it pumps that hot fire about your blazing body? Glory, and your soul with the voice of angels which are all singing singing singing in extasy so that it drowns out ALL else! Drowns out all reason and fear. One moment when you are so alive because death is so damn closse that you can feel it's fridgid breath on the back of your neck? A blaze of glory where you can feel every nerve taught like a guitar string and ready to snap! That moment when, right at th end, you are so damn alive in that last moment. I DON'T want to die that way. I want to live that way :)

As for my favorite death scene from a movie. This is EASY :) For sure my fave death scene is the end in Blade Runner. Where the andriod ( don't remmber his name :) ) is up on the room with decker. They are both panting in the pouring rain and the andrioid is about to die. Only in the last moment he knows what life is and hour precious it is and gives that little speach before he lets go of the dove. Amazing amazing and amazing, also very beautiful :)

SillyWabbit said:
I DON'T want to die that way. I want to live that way :)

Exactly! To die as you lived and still to die in a blaze of glory, that IS the goal. To die doing what we always do, those are the heroes we remember down through the ages. The firemen 9/11 (both living AND dead), those men did not enter those buildings thinking about glory, but simply thinking about doing the job they had done countless times before. Those are our heroes.

And that passion I saw in your words! I'm quite stunned. It's a pleasure to see the serious side of you. What an incredible soul! :)

{Tigress} said:
Exactly! To die as you lived and still to die in a blaze of glory, that IS the goal. To die doing what we always do, those are the heroes we remember down through the ages. The firemen 9/11 (both living AND dead), those men did not enter those buildings thinking about glory, but simply thinking about doing the job they had done countless times before. Those are our heroes.

And that passion I saw in your words! I'm quite stunned. It's a pleasure to see the serious side of you. What an incredible soul! :)

Thank you :) :eek:

...OK, enough of the serious side lol

Marquis Rex said:
Ever been asked whether you'd rather burn out or fade away?

To me there's nothing more romantic then dying in a blaze of glory! Going down for a lost cause perhaps, a glorious lost cause....

What is your favourite death scene in a film or series or general TV?
My favourite is the death of the character "Kowalski" in the epic classic road trip film "Vanishing Point".

Kowalski is the last true free spirit where speed signified freedom for the soul in an era before political correctness and other such "thoughtcrime" brainwashing.

He goes on an epic cross country trail in his white 1971 Dodge Challenger, for no particular reason, and realises the contradictions of life, and how now, he has little to live for and decides to go head first into a road block made just for him, consisting of bull dozers and excitedly antisipating police.....and concerned onlookers.....
I don't want to know about death! :(

Maximus dying in Gladiator. That was so great!

And I loved his little speach:
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Back