• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Descent (contains spoilers)

WickedWitch

I went to see a preview of the movie "The Descent" on Thursday. It has already been released in Europe, but it will be released here in the United States on August 4th with a shorter ending. I didn't really understand what happened at the very end of the film, so could someone who has already seen the longer European version please explain the ending to me?

Here's a synopsis:
"On a daredevil caving holiday, six women friends are unexpectedly trapped underground when a rock fall blocks their exit. Searching the maze of tunnels for a way out, they find themselves hunted by a race of fearless, hungry predators, once humanoid but now monstrously adapted to live in the dark…

As the others battle for their lives, Sarah, still recovering from a mental collapse brought on by the recent deaths of her family, is fighting for her sanity. When old secrets are revealed, the friends turn on one another, causing the group to implode. Betrayed and desperate, Sarah realizes that to make it back to the surface, she must become as savage as the creatures themselves."

Sarah (Shauna Macdonald, the strawberry blond) and Juno (Natalie Mendoza, the cute black-haired Hispanic) are the only two still alive. Sarah fights a bunch of the crawlers while Juno watches. Sarah whacks Juno with the ax, and Juno looks betrayed, but I didn't see any blood. Sarah finds the cave opening, runs to the SUV, and drives down the road. Sarah pulls the SUV onto the shoulder of the road and cries hysterically. An air horn honks and a logging truck passes the SUV (which has magically moved halfway onto the road). Sarah looks over to the left as the logging truck passes and then back to the right, where Juno has suddenly appeared in the passenger seat. Juno smiles at Sarah. And that's the end of the movie.

So, do they both survive? And how did Juno get to the SUV faster than Sarah? And how can Sarah see a big spot of sunlight on the cave floor when the cave opening is covered with branches? And, at the beginning of the film when Sarah's husband pulled Juno out of the water, was Juno having an affair with Sarah's husband, or was Juno just flirting with him? And is that why Sarah hit Juno with the ax, or is it because Juno wasn't helping Sarah fight the crawlers? And what old secrets were revealed?

In the original ending, after Sarah sees Juno in the car with her, Sarah awakens back in the cave and you realize that the whole sequence of her escaping was a dream. It ends with her hallucinating that she is with her little girl celebrating with a birthday cake in the cave as the monsters close in on them, so nobody got out alive.

Juno was having an affair with Sarah's husband. Sarah found this out after the girl that Juno accidentally killed gave a pendant to Sarah as she was dying. She had ripped it off Juno after Juno had stabbed her and it was the same pendant that Sarah's husband had given her. That's how Sarah knew that Juno was having an affair and why she axed her knee in the cave.

This was originally released last year in Europe but because the similarly themed Hollywood film The Cave came out here in the States last year it's stateside release was pushed back to this year.

Thank you. That answered my questions.

It's amusing when two similar movies are made at the same time. It makes you wonder if one of them stole the idea.

That European ending is very depressing. It's horrible that they go through all that trauma, and they get almost to the exit, and then they die anyway.

The Cave was hollywood pg13 crap, but The Descent was a pretty visceral horror movie. I really enjoyed it. And yes I agree with what you say about the original ending in the above spoiler. Maybe that's why hollywood felt the need change it. I prefer the original ending myself.

I just saw The Descent on Thurs at the theater. Yeah, I got the crappy American ending where Sarah survives. I saw the original ending on youtube. Much better. The only somewhat logical reason for the American ending is that they could make a sequel....ewww...NO!

Either way I loved the movie. Sad, frightening...very good.

You Euros always make the best horror flicks.;)

really enjoyed this flick. started really slow but it turned out to have a purporse. great character development.

those shits in the caves were creepy as hell. seeing a bunch of hot girls stuck in a cave was cool.

the last half hour or so was intense, made up for all the slower earlier slack. really gorey, and fast paced.

wasnt really impressed with the directing or editing :cool:

6.5/10

Back