• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The e-book conspiracy comes to a close

It sounds like it will have to be the Government itself that takes the axe to Amazon, if or when it is so inclined.

I have never understood why e-books are so expensive. Ok there is as much work in formatting an e-book as a print book, but there are no printing costs after that which must factor into the price. Books have always been a volume sales business anyway - making e-books inexpensive to get people to actually BUY books (instead of downloading 'free' copies) seems to me the only logical way to approach it.

Anyone else notice that a lot of books on amazon are roughly the same price and that it's a tad bit more than $9.99?

It has always been a major pet peeve of mine that publishers or booksellers charge so much for e-books. Yes, they have the overhead, the editors, offices, promotions like they would with a book made from trees but - they do not have the materials costs, the distribution costs, costs for art for dust-jackets, shipping/trucking costs. E-books should be less that one half of the cost of paper books but they aren't. I have even found a few e-books that cost more than the paper editions. I think major publishers and booksellers should be looked at for illegal price-fixing. The merchandise just does not warrant the costs but Amazon and Barnes and Noble all fall within a few cents of each other. It all sounds very fishy to me...

Especially as you do not OWN an e-book, merely the right to read it. You can not resell a digital book when you are done with it. Admittedly I can understand the reasons for that as when you sell a physical book you no longer have it and the other person does, while you could sell many digital copies of a book and still keep a copy for yourself and none would be the wiser, but that does mean that paying the same for a digital copy as a physical one is harder to justify IMHO.

It has always been a major pet peeve of mine that publishers or booksellers charge so much for e-books. Yes, they have the overhead, the editors, offices, promotions like they would with a book made from trees but - they do not have the materials costs, the distribution costs, costs for art for dust-jackets, shipping/trucking costs. E-books should be less that one half of the cost of paper books but they aren't.
I can't speak for the exact costs in the US, but speaking from experience in the Swedish publishing industry, all the paper and distribution costs make up about $3 (US) for a $30 paperbook. So that's the money you actually save when you go digital (well, that money minus the lower but still existing costs of distributing the e-book, which have to be paid by someone - Amazon aren't in it just out of the kindness of their own hearts.)

I think major publishers and booksellers should be looked at for illegal price-fixing.
That's what just happened, isn't it?

Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Vonnegut has been on my to be read list forever. I was pleasantly surprised and now will have t0 start reading through his books and stories. He is smart, subtle and a really great author ...

Back