• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Equilibrium of Happiness

novella

Two new books, discussed in this week's New Yorker, look at what happiness is, how to get it, and what some of the myths are.

Most intriguing is the notion that anyone who's not in serious pain or dire poverty can experience the same 'happiness level' as the richest, most attractive person. In fact, there's some degree of anecdotal evidence that a person's default level of happiness is genetic, particularly something not linked very much to material circumstances.

I thought of this today because of the thread on children's work experience. Apparently voluntary work and how much 'flow' you experience when you're either working or doing other things is directly linked to reported levels of happiness. A poor person who really gets into her garden or cooking bean soup and volunteering at a local hospital is probably going to be happier more often than a wealthy executive who spends a lot of time on planes, in hotels, in meetings, and 'relaxing' (doing nothing).

Sort of common sense and certainly true from experience, but it's nice to see it in print!

Oh, 'equilibrium' refers to the phenomenon in which any big change (winning the lottery, crippling car accident, buying the dream house) will only have a temporary effect, and the person will soon settle back into the level of happiness they'd been experiencing most of the time before the event, even if they have a billion dollars or no legs. Flow, or getting mentally and emotionally absorbed in your work, is what makes the biggest difference.

A link to the article: (it may only be up for a week or so)

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/content/articles/060227crbo_books

novella said:
Two new books, discussed in this week's New Yorker, look at what happiness is, how to get it, and what some of the myths are.

Most intriguing is the notion that anyone who's not in serious pain or dire poverty can experience the same 'happiness level' as the richest, most attractive person. In fact, there's some degree of anecdotal evidence that a person's default level of happiness is genetic, particularly something not linked very much to material circumstances.

I thought of this today because of the thread on children's work experience. Apparently voluntary work and how much 'flow' you experience when you're either working or doing other things is directly linked to reported levels of happiness. A poor person who really gets into her garden or cooking bean soup and volunteering at a local hospital is probably going to be happier more often than a wealthy executive who spends a lot of time on planes, in hotels, in meetings, and 'relaxing' (doing nothing).

Sort of common sense and certainly true from experience, but it's nice to see it in print!

Oh, 'equilibrium' refers to the phenomenon in which any big change (winning the lottery, crippling car accident, buying the dream house) will only have a temporary effect, and the person will soon settle back into the level of happiness they'd been experiencing most of the time before the event, even if they have a billion dollars or no legs. Flow, or getting mentally and emotionally absorbed in your work, is what makes the biggest difference.

A link to the article: (it may only be up for a week or so)

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/content/articles/060227crbo_books

Ah... something interesting. But a different voice as to this one:"A poor person who really gets into her garden or cooking bean soup and volunteering at a local hospital is probably going to be happier more often than a wealthy executive who spends a lot of time on planes, in hotels, in meetings, and 'relaxing'". I did some voluntary work at local senior citizen's home. ah...ah.., though I had to admit that I had 'experienced some level of happiness' (not sure what was the level), I realized that most of time during the worktime, a dilemmar was evolving but which had to be rationally suppressed. As replying, I severely doubted if I had gained more 'happiness' in that institution or more struggles. Happiness, whatever...

Goodday.

If you want to be happy, don’t ever ask yourself if you are.

Being a reasonably happy-type person, I find this to be reassuring. And from looking about me at other people I also find it to ring true.

I've got this issue of TNY sitting right next to my reading chair -- beneath Pnin, Pale Fire, a swimsuit catalog, Never Let me Go, and Mary, Queen of Scotland and the Isles. And, am I reading any of them? Why, no. I'm getting Dry Eyes and a Cricked Neck here instead.

You must be at a stopping place with your book, novella. How're things coming along? I have my fingers crossed for you.

Crystal said:
... As replying, I severely doubted if I had gained more 'happiness' in that institution or more struggles. ...

What I wanted to say was that I quite doubted the statement I quoted in my previous post. If it was correct based on researches, then I guessed there was always exceptions.

Enjoy what you have

I've often heard that happiness comes from being satisfied with what you have, with the life that you can live. You should seize the day and not worry that you don't have a private jet.The best things in life are free, right?
Well, of course you always wish for the better, but I think there is some truth in this, if you're pleased with yourself, you can be happy.

Very interesting post Novella, but I've come to expect that you from;)

I've found myself quite commonly immersed in my work and profession and hobby (which are pretty much teh same now) although I've recvently had a major life change- I now live in Germany in the forests. I miss England alot in some ways, but am much happier at work and the people here are very friendly.
Overall I think I'm less stressed and seem to be getting FEWER grey hairs!

I think the most annoying characterestics a person can have is the need to TRY to be happy all the time to the point of denial.

No offense, but isn't that kind of a circular argument. After all, we are talking about a state of mind.

Back