• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Fantasy Forum..........

Jessica089

I am absoulutely starting to love fantasy an I was glad to find this book forum has a topic for it, but I've noticed it's kind of dead here. Where are all the fantasy lovers that I want to talk to. I'm relatively new to fantasy so I was looking forward to talking to the fantasy people and discussing a fantasy book better than lord of the rings ( :confused: ), anyway hope to talk to ya's ;)

Hi Jessica089,
I'm also new to this forum here and I love reading fantasy. What books have you read so far? Do you know the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams? One of my favorites...

It's not dead, we're just all busy reading. :D

I mostly read fantasy and sci fi, and I'm currently working through my back-log of fantasy books.

Am I to take it from your post that you're one of those happy souls who doesn't think that LOTRs is the be all and end all of fantasy?

Tamora - I haven't read them unfortunately I'm reading some really wierd book at the moment and my firt fantasy books were LOTR so I am REALLY new to fantasy, but I love it!

Litany - lol, I won't fight that LOTR is one of the greater fantasy books, I love it too (he he Legolas and Faramir ;)) but I'm sure there is a great maze of other wonderful fantasy books and we just got to find them. LOTR is just a well known one.

Anyway I was just looking for your thoughts on Fantasy perhaps like what makes you love it? Because I am so new and I was just wondering where all the fantasians were...........

I'm really hard to please with fantasy now. I find a lot of it less than readable.

I really like E.R. Eddison though.

I read as much fantasy as I can :D I have a small on line fantasy book club too which is quite active.

I do find it quiet here at times though :confused: Which is a shame. There doesnt seem to be many readers that visit this forum that read less known authors or at least less mentioned authors.

I read a helluva lot of fantasy and would enjoy chatting about it a bit more, but there doesn't seem to be too much chat about specifics....

Aye. Lets just start just random threads and see what people post in. Or at least a currently reading, people love telling the world about what they've just read, and you can get some good recommendations from it and spin off a few book specific conversations.

Jessica089 said:
I am absoulutely starting to love fantasy an I was glad to find this book forum has a topic for it, but I've noticed it's kind of dead here. Where are all the fantasy lovers that I want to talk to. I'm relatively new to fantasy so I was looking forward to talking to the fantasy people and discussing a fantasy book better than lord of the rings ( :confused: ), anyway hope to talk to ya's ;)

Hey it's jennasa. i'm totally not new to the subject cuz ive been on it since like 5th grade and i'm a sophmore in high school. whats your favorite style of writing??

Do threads have expiration dates? Hey there's tons of fantasy fans on board...and, in fact, there are lots of discussions going on right at this moment.

Okay, what is everyone reading? It's so quiet here it's a little disconcerting, because there are plenty of fantasy buffs here. What can we do to spice things up around here? Some of us fantasy buffs have been around here a long time and have pretty much run out of stuff to say. We need either a little fresh blood or fresh books. Or both.

Can I start singing some fantasy-related song to get the crowd in here?

ds

Perhaps if we threaten to sing the posts will start pouring in to stop it.

Hey I've just finished GRR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series and I'm waiting for the next one A Feast of Crows to come out in paperback. Terry Goodkind's Chainfire is coming out, but I've read nothing but dismal reviews on it. I such hopes. The teaser chapter at the end of the last book was so promising. I gave up on Terry Brooks a long time ago.

There just doesn't seem to be enough authors producing to keep the excitement level up. Lets not even get started on overhyped movies made from fantasy classics.

I did stay away for a while to see if new threads were started :) I tend to find I do have a lot of books/authors to discuss. However, quite often when I have started threads no one responds to them, so I assumed that there weren't many wide read fantasy readers here.
I dont consider myself that wide read either, but I do seem to have mentioned authors that dont seem to get discussed.

Yeah. The giants are stirring. Goodie. My voice may not be American Idol material, but at least it's awful enough to get some attention.

I have lots of unanswered posts as well, rune. But maybe we didn't catch each other at the right time. Wait, if you posted something about a foreign language book, then it'll stay unanswered from me. :) Go on then, rune, let's have your list of authors that didn't seem to get their share of the spotlight.

Prolixic, I love GRRM. Totally engrossing. I passed it to a friend of mine and he said it was paedophilic (Dany). Said she was underage when she did it. I didn't notice that.

I, uhm, don't like Terry Goodkind. I've never tried Brooks and probably never will.

I just know that if I see none on the shelves when AFOC comes out and I see someone holding it at the counter, I'm gonna grab it and run for it.

I'm still singing, people.

ds

Prolixic said:
Lets not even get started on overhyped movies made from fantasy classics.

Now to what could you possibly be referring to here? :D

I've just read the first of Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy, and will be reading the other two. Are these more a young adult rather than adult read?

As I've said in another thread, I do tend to stick to a narrow range of authors I know (e.g. King's Dark Tower series) because I have so many books still to read that I daren't start buying new authors.

I'm here and I love fantasy, though I'm not near as well read in it as many people, since I only started reading it a few years ago. I'm reading "Rhapsody" by Elizabeth Haydon right now, on recommendation from a friend, and love it so far!

I've also really enjoyed Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series (I've read through book 4 and plan to continue on this year) and Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince & Dragon Star trilogies.

I tried Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time book 1 and sadly, didn't enjoy it very much. I'd heard so many good things about it, but struggled getting into it. I got through it all, but just never got attached to the characters. I think that's the hardest thing in coming into a new fantasy series - really getting into the characters and the world. If the author is able to hook me from the beginning, I'm theirs to the end!

Ah, is this the first mention of Elizabeth Haydon in TBF? It's certainly getting some noise, and will probably check her out.

One very interesting book I've been wanting to get is Ursula Le Guin's Gifts.

Here's a description:
Scattered among poor, desolate farms, the clans of the Uplands possess gifts. Wondrous gifts: the ability--with a glance, a gesture, a word--to summon animals, bring forth fire, move the land. Fearsome gifts: They can twist a limb, chain a mind, inflict a wasting illness. The Uplanders live in constant fear that one family might unleash its gift against another. Two young people, friends since childhood, decide not to use their gifts. One, a girl, refuses to bring animals to their death in the hunt. The other, a boy, wears a blindfold lest his eyes and his anger kill.

In this beautifully crafted story, Ursula K. Le Guin writes of the proud cruelty of power, of how hard it is to grow up, and of how much harder still it is to find, in the world's darkness, gifts of light.

I've always liked Le Guin's Earthsea, and this one promises some fun.

Halo said:
As I've said in another thread, I do tend to stick to a narrow range of authors I know (e.g. King's Dark Tower series) because I have so many books still to read that I daren't start buying new authors.
But you did with Canavan didn't you? :D And you enjoyed it. :)

ds

Back