• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb

direstraits

I finished this trilogy about a week ago, but never gotten the chance to write about my thoughts. Of course, I had to choose a time when it's past my bedtime, but that's another story... :D :D

I've been meaning to read it since George RR Martin mentioned Hobb as one of his favourites, and RaVeN assured me it was actually quite good. In short, I'd say RaVeN was right, though it did take me all the way to Book 3 to agree. :)

The first book, Assassin's Apprentice, is your usual hero with unfortunate birth stigma (read: royal bastard), who is important enough to get cut some slack in the scheme of things, yet irritating enough to the established royal hierarchy to cause some unwelcome attention (read: threat to health due to proximity to the throne). FitzChivalry gets trained as an assassin, and found that he has an affinity to Skill, which is sort of like magic of the mind, or the Force, depending on your fantasy/scifi angle. Not only that, he has the Wit, which allows him to communicate with animals.

I was waiting for him to discover his ability to fly.

While the first book was all about discovery with a fair dose of action, the second book was an exercise in patience. It was dull. Trapped in the Castle Buckkeep, the book is (more or less) Fitz sitting around moaning that he cannot do anything, of being told how things are out of his control and should let things take their course. Occassional forays to fight bloody and gory battles were welcome respite, but once back he continues his whining. Ugh. There was a reason for this, of course, but the distinct impression I got was "Get your butt up and do something!!!"

The third book ties up loose ends, and actually makes for quite an interesting read. Plenty of action, and some answers dammit! The ending was nicely done, and while a couple of details niggled me, it was closed out well.

Overall, competent story, but you have to plod through the second book to get there. Recommended if you're waiting for George RR Martin's Feast of Crows, and you've nothing really spectacular on your TBR.

Whew, that's my impression. What did you guys/gals think?

ds

p.s. Unfortunately, Fitz cannot fly after all. Alas.

direstraits said:
While the first book was all about discovery with a fair dose of action, the second book was an exercise in patience. It was dull. Trapped in the Castle Buckkeep, the book is (more or less) Fitz sitting around moaning that he cannot do anything, of being told how things are out of his control and should let things take their course. Occassional forays to fight bloody and gory battles were welcome respite, but once back he continues his whining. Ugh. There was a reason for this, of course, but the distinct impression I got was "Get your butt up and do something!!!"

This is where I got stuck, direstraits. I'm glad that someone agrees with me, though. Book 2 was a big yawn-fest for me. I'm encouraged that you still continued and enjoyed book 3. Perhaps I will motivate myself to wrap up reading this trilogy. I did enjoy the 1st book after all.

I've heard it said before that the trilogy was boring, and how they hated a hero who sat around and whined. I didn't understand that when I read the first book, which like you, I also enjoyed. I finally understood when I read the second book.

ds

I read this series a few years back now... actually, if I give it thought I read it 8 years ago. Holy moly.

I recall that the ending stood out for me. It was somewhat poignant, and yet it felt 'right'. This was one of the first fantasy series' that I read which didn't end with the main character getting the girl and being safe and happy and free of his troubles. I found it refreshing, to say the least.

I don't specifically recall the second book, though. I know it didn't irk me like Wheel of Time did, which featured Rand whining and complaining... mind you that went on for 3 books before I finally threw it down in disgust. I probably managed to deal with just one book of angsty youth.

Did anyone read the series that Hobb wrote after this? It was called something like 'The ...Ship Traders'. I don't want to get this thread off topic, but if you did, please post a thread on what you thought of it.

Kookamoor said:
Did anyone read the series that Hobb wrote after this? It was called something like 'The ...Ship Traders'.

They're on my "one of these days" list. The 3 books that make up the Liveship Traders trilogy are Ship of Magic, Mad Ship, and Ship of Destiny.

From what I gather, they take place in the same world as the Farseer books but with different characters. I have them on my shelf, but wanting to find out what happened with Fitz, I went directly to the Tawny Man series that tied up his story.

I've also read that a few characters of the Liveship series pop up in the Tawny Man books and it wouldn't hurt to read them first if you like all of your eggs in one basket.

As for the Farseer trilogy, I can't disagree with direstrait's assessment and sadly, you'll find more of the boring bits in the Tawny man books. But new characters are introduced that somewhat help to spice things up and as he pointed out, it's a more than adequate way of passing time until GRRM's latest hits the stores.

RaVeN

I really didn't like the Farseer books. I found them to be really boring. I can't understand why Robin Hobb is hailed as such a great star and a voice of new wave of fantasy. So... your different because... your books lack elves and dwarfs and so on?

Yippee. Big deal.

As you said DS the main character spends most of the time moaning and being pushed around by everybody. I actually think it's the most irritating main character I have ever come across! The book actually had me shouting at the page for him to get a life and so on :D

I managed to get about 1/3 into the third book. I had stayed so far because her prose is pretty nice and I was holding out for something to start to happen with the story. It never did. 1/3 of the way in and I STILL didn't know why they were being attacked, who the raiders were and so on. The worst part of it is that I just didn't care. None of the characters are likable to me.

I loved this whole set of books, all three trilogys. (trilogies?) When i read the first book i wasnt quite getting into it but i carried on and really got into the relationship between the Fool and Fitz. I loved the whole dragons, magic and castle thing going on as they are my favourite things about fantasy. I will also admit to having a thing for reluctant heros, that happen to be handsome :D
I wouldnt say it is everyones cup of tea but i liked them. I have more to say but its not forming in my brain..long day. Really i do have more to say rather than 'Oh i liked them..they are good...*simper*'

I think the Farseer trilogy is a pretty damn good epic fantasy series, and I think her other subsequent less popular series are much better than fans of the Farseer trilogy make them out to be. One thing I admire about the series is that for one it has done something others (Some of which have been thus far better) have failed to do is - and that is be completed.

All that said I don't undestand this:

I really didn't like the Farseer books. I found them to be really boring. I can't understand why Robin Hobb is hailed as such a great star and a voice of new wave of fantasy. So... your different because... your books lack elves and dwarfs and so on?

Hobb has never been associated with New Wave Fantasy, Hobb writes and always has written epic fantasy.

At any rate, I'm going to start her new book sometiem thsi week Shaman's Crossing

Hi, my first post here and was immediately drawn to this Hobb thread :)

I can understand those who thought the Farseer trilogy went on a bit ie. whining, brooding, etc. But to me they just added to the story and the 3-dimensionality of the MC. Fitz is so believable to me and when he whines or broods or tells us of his troubles/suspicions/wants he is more endearing and I read as fast as I can to find out more about him and how he is getting on in his story.

All the elements of this trilogy appealed to me. Just finishing Harry Potter and Tolkien, I was recommended Robin Hobb's books, but was reluctant to read them because they looked like the rest of the fantasy books out there (I have not read much fantasy prior to these 3 stories) and I knew I wouldn't be able to stand elves or other magical creatures that weren't Tolkien's creation. So, when I read Farseer I was extremely pleased that Hobb chose to tell a fantasy story without those unbelievable/typical creatures. She explained the Skill and Wit and gave depth to them and her dragons throughout the 9 books (Yes, they do link together! Farseer, Liveship Traders, Tawny Man) are well written and well planned -- their life cycle is just AMAZING!!! You have to read Liveship Traders to know their cycle. I'm lured to such creativity and Robin Hobb <s>had me at hello</s> convinced me that she is one of the greatest authors/creative minds out there. I would read any of her books now without question (I have my Shaman's Crossing!).

About the 2nd Farseer, I thought this book was great! How could you not love it? This is when all the things start happening. The last half was just amazing. I won't give spoilers here but I seriously felt pain for Fitz! ack! That ending and the beginning of the 3rd book tops my list of great stories. It was seriously somewhat disturbing. The woman (Hobb) thinks about everything! She's got all the consequences down and she explores them! Who cares if the MC is whiny, broody. What else would you do if you were in his position and thrown all those unfair things in your life just because of who you were, a royal bastard?

I saw Fitz not as a Hero OR an anti-Hero; I just saw Fitz, a royal bastard, and his life story. And throughout the books I treated him and his story as I would observing someone else, ie. "How's he going to get out of this one!" :D

And with the added enigmatic Fool... I won't deny it, I fell in love with that one! *ducks head from anti-fangirl-people* ;P

I saw someone's signature and that is still my most favourite book quote:
"We are here Fitz, you and I, to change the world" - The Fool

Wonderful support for your one of your favourite books, nightlight. And welcome to the forums!

Hobb can write pretty well, that no doubt. What peels my banana skin is the fact that there seemed to be so many things that Fitz cannot do and have no control over.
He cannot directly help Verity with his Skilling against the Raiders, he cannot directly involve himself in the court politics that seems so interesting but dulled by the fact that he has to babysit Kettricken. He's only out for one season sailing against the Raiders. Why can't he be actively using both Skill and Wit against the enemies, but Verify can Skill his skull off all by his lonesome, and embark on a seemingly hopeless quest? And most incredibly (and the one that definitely irritated me the most), it took him 3 books to decide to do something about Regal.

But these are just nitpicks. I'm happy that the third book was quite good.

ds

RaVeN said:
...but wanting to find out what happened with Fitz, I went directly to the Tawny Man series that tied up his story.
Hey, you cheated!

Actually, I was thinking the exact same thing, despite knowing that Tawny has Liveship characters...

Gosh, do everyone with the same birthdate think alike? :)

ds

Ainulindale said:
I

Hobb has never been associated with New Wave Fantasy, Hobb writes and always has written epic fantasy.

Yes, she has :)

Well, this was all some time ago. I have been reading fantasy for about 20 years now.

She was/is part of a new breed of writers that took their work away from Tolkien-esk fantasy. In the years previously writers would create clones of "Lord of the Rings." that always contained a quest, a magic item, magic usage, and the usual assortment of creatues.

Writers like Hobb, George RR Martin, Robert Jordan, and many others now write a new style that is basically standard medieval worlds without the goblins and elves and so on with only a little magic usage. At the time ( this was some years ago ) this new movement was hailed as a wonder and on the back of many a book you would hear about it and see it written. To me this is so much crap. I'm the a big critic of Tolkien cut and past fantasy novels, but this new brand of fantasy is just as bad. It's all the same ( but in a different way ). They actually made fantasy more boring by taking out the monsters and the elves and dwarfs out of it.

Wabbit said:
Yes, she has :)

Well, this was all some time ago. I have been reading fantasy for about 20 years now.

I have no idea if she has or not, Wabbit. And to me it doesn't matter. I have nowhere near the experience of reading fantasy that you do and for maybe that reason, I can look at and enjoy the works without comparing them to others.

Wabbit said:
Writers like Hobb, George RR Martin, Robert Jordan, and many others now write a new style that is basically standard medieval worlds without the goblins and elves and so on with only a little magic usage. At the time ( this was some years ago ) this new movement was hailed as a wonder and on the back of many a book you would hear about it and see it written. To me this is so much crap. I'm the a big critic of Tolkien cut and past fantasy novels, but this new brand of fantasy is just as bad. It's all the same ( but in a different way ). They actually made fantasy more boring by taking out the monsters and the elves and dwarfs out of it.

Again, I've not read anywhere near what you have in the genre.....never read Jordan, or Tolkien for that matter. But G.RR Martin DOES have dragons and a dwarf. What's an elf, more or less? :p

RaVeN

But G.RR Martin DOES have dragons and a dwarf.

George R.R. Martin's dwarf is not a race. Tyrion is a human.

Yes, she has

No she hasn't and if she has, someone is badly misinformed.

Robin Hobb writes epic fantasy (which is essentially just a branch off of High Fantasy which is synonmous with Tolkiensque Fantasy.

If you want to read Hobb's thoughts on who her influences are I suggest reading Meditaions on Earth a collection of essays where a number of authors wrote chapters regarding Tolkien's impact on them personally and their work. I reviewed it here if interested. (Was one of my first reviews so bear with me:)

She was/is part of a new breed of writers that took their work away from Tolkien-esk fantasy. In the years previously writers would create clones of "Lord of the Rings." that always contained a quest, a magic item, magic usage, and the usual assortment of creatues.

Writers like Hobb, Martin and Jordan, are certainly not new at all.

I'm sorry, your description of the work is certainly correct, but all these writers are epic fantasy authors (concerning Jordan's Wheel of Time work and Martin's A Song of Ice ad Fire and various other works, Jordan also wrote Sword/Sorcery before, and Martin has written both Science Fiction and Horror for a number of years before.)

I think the problem may be, is the defintion your associating with New Wave Fantasy, which is a actual name for a real genre movement.

New Wave Fantasy started in the 60's and was and is still associated with authors Like Michael Moorcock, Harlan Ellsion , J.G. Ballard, Roger Zelazny, Samuel Delany, Thomas Disch, Philip Jose Farmer, Ursula Leguin (we are talking non-Earthsea) Brian Aldiss, and M. John Harrison among others. It is the movement that gave inspiration to another movement we saw later, Cyberpunk, as Gibson and Sterling credited the Moorcockian influence for the movement - it further more is really the origin of the current New Weird movement associated with authors like China Mieville, Steph Swainston and KJ Bishop, - and more literal motivated writers like Jeff VanderMeer, Jeffrey Ford, etc.

Many new wave authors, or author who are decsendants of that tradition scoff at epic fantasy work, including works by Martin, Hobb, and Jordan.

New Wave Fantasy predates Martin's series, Jordan's series and Hobb by almost 30 years - and none of those authors are affilaited with that movement (although i know of one online source that claims Martin does it is incorrect, at least to the series they are pointing out, A Song of Ice and Fire which is without question epic fantasy). They are practioners of epic fantasy. Just in Martin's case (and to a lesser extent Hobb) they are damn good examples of epic fantasy.

Ainulindale said:
George R.R. Martin's dwarf is not a race. Tyrion is a human.

I know.........I've read the books.

My apologies if I've offended any dwarfs on TBF.

RaVeN

Ainulindale said:
I think the problem may be, is the defintion your associating with New Wave Fantasy, which is a actual name for a real genre movement./
Yes, you are right, sorry to be confusing there :)

Although I do stand by my view that before those writers and their ilk become popular pretty much every book was a standard Tolkien rip off. Alright so Hobb and ilk may have magic in their novels, they might even have a different race or two, but I think they are different to what has come before them.

I also stand by my dislike of the Far Seer novels. She writes very well but the books are about as interesting as watching paint dry! That said, everybody else likes them and I have odd tastes... so it is probably just me :)

off topic

i've read the three trilogies and their is a new one just begining that i am planning on purchasing, i found that reading the live ship traders helped clear up some gaps in my world knowledge of hobbs reality and the tawny man trilogy was spot on for action and adventure.

the lack of elves/dwarves has no bareing on whether the books are good or not, niether does the sub-genre "new wave fantasy" ect have any bareing either...

it baffles me :confused: when people refuse to sit down and read with an open mind and instead they continually compare any work of fantasy to Tolkien... tolkien is ultimatly a childs book. all black and white very little grey which fails to portray life, whilst Jordan, Hobb and others successfully portray humanities greatest flaw, that of hypocrisy.

but any way has anyone read the latest release by hobb? :D

You misunderstood my point :)

I'm not comparing anything. I don't, personally, even like Tolkien! My point was a very small one. I said that "She and her ilk were hailed some time ago as being new and different because their stories didn't follow the Tolkien by numbers story" This is a GOOD thing! However, I feel that replacing one cliche with another set of cliches is just pointless.

Back