• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Forgotten Realms

I love the setting so I always keep meaning to read the books, but somehow I have never got round to them - I know we have the first Drizzt trilogy in the house somewhere, will get to it at some point I'm sure!! :)

Can you suggest some decent books outside of the Drizzt stuff?

Phil

Ooh, I love Baldur's Gate. :) Are you familiar with it?

What's the difference between the FR and the Dragonlance series anyway?

ds

direstraits said:
Ooh, I love Baldur's Gate. :) Are you familiar with it?

What's the difference between the FR and the Dragonlance series anyway?

ds
fr is add and dl was the earlier stuff d&d and became so popular they gave it, its own world( not totaly sure about dragon lance - because gygax had greyhawk / goard thing that was first ed d&d) but forgotten realms is based on oearth and ad vanced d&d rules.

There is Grey Hawk is the origonal Dungeons and Dragons world.

Forgotten Realms is the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons world

There are other worlds. These are called "Camgain Settings" and include the Dragon Lance books. The Dragon Lance books are set in the world of Krynn (sp?)

Actually... just got home from playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons! The real pencil and paper stuff not ya computer rubbish :D

Greyhawk is still the Dungeons and Dragons world, even at 3.* edition - Forgotten Realms is and always has been a Campaign Setting, albeit the most popular one going (far more popular than Greyhawk infact). DragonLance was written by Margeret Weis (who subsequently co-authored a large number of the DragonLance books with Tracey Hickman) whilst she worked for what was then called TSR (now been absorbed into Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro).

Phil

phil_t said:
I love the setting so I always keep meaning to read the books, but somehow I have never got round to them - I know we have the first Drizzt trilogy in the house somewhere, will get to it at some point I'm sure!! :)

Phil

The Avatar series was quite good. I have only read the first three, but found them enjoyable. Unfortunately I can't remember the author.

just recently in the last three years they published original dnd secret of the saltmarsh and keep on the borderlands, i think and earlier 8 years ago netheral or something the age of mortals ad+d with a conan like hero. then two years ago the came out with some neat stuff- a ranger like / fighter and friends. the justicar, bad name but nice series. last book i read i think was called demonweb pits i think. all of them abruptly stopped like there was copyright issues or something. and there is some short 250 page books that are more like lite dungon short storys "the death ray" and some others nice poolside reading. all of this stuff is wrapped neatly around dnd, and if you never played you might not care for the books. if you did play they are a must read because they go through exactly the same problems you/we faced in mods like "keep on the borderlands"and "The Temple of Elemental Evil ".(my first mods with my prepubesant friends) even if you didnt play those exact mods you will still love the pov of a real party and their day to day struggles. even back in the day when i played i enjoyed reading the stupid little examples in the ad+d masters guide. i dont have it any more but it was about a party in a dungon creating a way to climb a wall and meets up with some wrights to a bad end. ok thats all from memory lane.

Honestly I have grown out of this series, but Istill follow it for nostalgia purposes but would like to add RAS is a damn cool, nice guy who has stated he would do an interview for my site in the coming months. be on the lookout for Promise of the Witch Queen coming out later this year, and check out hsi collected versions of Drizzt's saga with some great covers by Todd Lockwood.

In regards to a good Forgoten Realms series, I would recommend Paul S. Kemp's Ervis Cale trilogy which is absolutely exceptional. IMHo the best Realms series ever, surpassing RAS's Dark Elf trilogy

The Avatar series was quite good. I have only read the first three, but found them enjoyable. Unfortunately I can't remember the author.

The Avatar series:

Shadowdale by Richard Awlinson
Tantras by Richard Awlinson
Waterdeep Richard Awlinson
Prince of Lies by James Lowder (pretty damn good actually)
Crucible by Troy Denning

Fantasybookspot.com

The authors say, it's better to read the Sembia series in first, because it explain the forgotten realms world, but I start by the avatar series and the shadow of the avatar

I will continu with the sembia or the songs and swords (i believe)

"The keep on the borderlands"and "The Temple of Elemental Evil " - I played
both these modules! Ah memories...

i've read alot of books butt nothing compares to what i've read so far regarding drizzt!!! with all due respect tolkien is a genius but salvatore is good!! i just found out about forgotten realms by accident and now i'm eager to read the entire FR collection!! any thoughts on where i should begin?

I completely agree with the Erevis Cale books, they are brilliant. I have read almost every forgotten realms book out there and if I missed it my wife read it and we both agree on Erevis Cale, and we never agree, lol. Also try the avatar series, Shadowdale, Tantris and I can't remember the other ones but they are good. The moonshae series are good as well but I liked the second and third a lot better than the first.

Back