• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The House of the Scorpion Review

Jeremy

kickbox
The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer is a seminal novel in the genres of both children’s literature and science fiction, for it deals with a very important and controversial subject in science: human cloning. Matt is a boy raised in isolation from all human contact except a doctor and a loving woman known as Celia. However, an encounter with three children ends his sheltered existence forever and forces him to live with a wealthy and powerful family, whose members treat him with utter disdain and disgust once they learn what he is. Fortunately, Matt has the protection of the head of the family, an old man called El Patron whose name is Matteo Alacron, whom Matt admires until the boy finds out what his purpose in life is. This is a profound novel that raises many ethical and moral questions about human cloning. At the same time, it is a very exciting and fun adventure story that readers of all ages will enjoy. Nancy Farmer’s characters are well-developed and will elicit strong emotions in the readers, whether love or hate. I recommend it to everyone who enjoys children's literature and science fiction.

Thanks for the review Jeremy. I like Nancy Farmer's Sea of Trolls, and have meant to look for more of her work. This one sounds interesting too.

BTW-Welcome to TBF!

The Sea of Trolls

I enjoyed Farmer's The Sea of Trolls too, but I think The House of the Scorpion is even better. Anyway, here's a brief review of The Sea of Trolls for anyone who's interested. Contains minor spoilers.

Nancy Farmer’s The Sea of Trolls is an entertaining children’s fantasy and adventure novel set in the early Middle Ages, at a time when Vikings still roamed the North seas. Although the novel is fairly engaging, it is basically a typical juvenile adventure story that did not break any new grounds like Farmer’s previous novel, The House of the Scorpion. Jack is an eleven-year-old son of a farmer living on the British isles with his parents and his younger sister, Lucy. Although he possesses no special gifts as far as anyone can tell, he is chosen as the apprentice by the Bard of the village, who, as it turns out, has a secret past and a vengeful enemy in the form of a half-troll queen of the Northmen. Not long afterwards, the village is attacked by the Berserkers sent by the half-troll queen, the Bard becomes a witless idiot, and both Jack and Lucy are kidnapped. In order to win Lucy’s freedom, Jack is sent to the kingdom of the trolls in the far north to complete a mission, traveling in the company of the Berserkers, including a blond Shield Maiden named Thorgil. Thus begins a wild adventure full of action and danger. Farmer integrated many Norse legends, as well as pieces of actual history, to weave an imaginary tale. This is a novel appropriate for younger readers and all those who enjoy children’s fantasy.

I loved The House of Scorpion. It was really an eye-opener to what the world might be coming to in the future. I haven't read any of Farmer's other work, but plan to. When I get around to it.

Good review! I actually did it backwards. I read House of the Scorpion, but haven't read Sea of Trolls yet. The funny thing about it all is, I was going out just now to go BUY Sea of Trolls. Small world.

I absolutely loved this book. I am generally not a fan of "our world" young adult fiction, but this one caught me, and wouldn't let go. I really do need to go out and buy it.

Back