• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Interview With God

I have seen this presentation before, and I feel that it is very beautiful and stirring. It might not appeal to less religious/spiritual people, but it certainly resonates with me. Thanks for reminding me about this one! :)

sweetsymphony said:
I have seen this presentation before, and I feel that it is very beautiful and stirring. It might not appeal to less religious/spiritual people, but it certainly resonates with me. Thanks for reminding me about this one! :)

I just want to let you all know some of my opinions on this presentation. This presentation, as complicated and thoughtfully done as it is, has no metaphysical and epistemological values and purposes whatsoever; it only is a hope for humankind, a kind of ethical hope.

I highly doubt that God is depicted as many people say. I don't think God is an omniscient and omnipotent being who is absolute. Personally, I think whoever created the universe is God. We don't know what is outside of our universe. What if there's a scientist outside of our universe who created the universe and is regulating it timelessly? We simply just have no idea what is on the other side of the black hole whose gravity is so big that even electromagnetic waves like light cannot get out of it!

This presentation is just for the purpose of entertaining yourselves! Don't get very into it and then find no way to get out!

Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to offend pious people on this board.

Best wishes and good luck with whatever you believe in. I respect your beliefs! :)

i'm not religious, i don't believe that god exist but still this presentation touched me!! not because it talks about god or what ever, simply because it reminds me of all the mistakes i make everyday!! don't tell my loved ones that i love them, rush through life when i should enjoy every second of it, not to appriciate everything around me as much as it deserves... it is a reminder for everything!!
thank you!! i love it!

sweetsymphony said:
I must add that I respect everyone's beliefs, too. I think the information given in this presentation can be applied to everyone's life.

I disagree. The information given in this presentation can be applied to everyone who has the need to be morally good or decent. It's not meant for those who want to be morally bad. Or those who ignore it.

Infinity said:
I disagree. The information given in this presentation can be applied to everyone who has the need to be morally good or decent. It's not meant for those who want to be morally bad. Or those who ignore it.
Okay, you have a point there. An interesting one, too. Maybe I should have said should instead of can. In my own opinion, of course.

sweetsymphony said:
Okay, you have a point there. An interesting one, too. Maybe I should have said should instead of can. In my own opinion, of course.

I agree. Logically, "should" fits this context better than "can". :)

i know this is cheesy and naiv, but don't everybody wants to be loved and be a good person? in their own way?? some people just have it easier than others, and some just don't believe in themselves...
sorry i will f*** off now!! bye

to be honest, honeydevil, I don't think they do. there is no difference between someone who runs into a burning building to save people and someone who murders people with an axe. they both get pleasure out of what they do. it has nothing to do with right and wrong. in a sense, neither one exists. it's just pleasure and pain directing behavior. in other words, conditioning.

honeydevil said:
i know this is cheesy and naiv, but don't everybody wants to be loved and be a good person? in their own way?? some people just have it easier than others, and some just don't believe in themselves...

I disagree bobbyburns.

There is a huge difference between someone who rushes into a burning building to save someone and an axe murderer. Do you truly think that the person running into the building is doing it for pleasure? I think it's an automatic response... to save someone. You saying that neither right or wrong exsists is generalising conditioning. The one who saves doesn't even think about it, just does, no right and wrong associated. The axe murderer generally knows he is wrong (if we are talking about a serial killer and you'd have to be if conditioning is involved).

What honeydevil says is true... most people want to be loved and want to be good people.

I thought the 'Interview with God' was insincere and, totally crass. Nothing more than an contemporary method of disseminating the sort of dogmatic drivel that goes against my natural instincts. I think the world would be a better place without religious garbage like that. It's not so much the ethics (although some of them were absurd) but, the specious foundations upon which they're built.
God tells us to "Learn to forgive" but never tells us it's OK to hate. Hatred, envy, fear..etc are all perfectly natural human emotions. I am human, i don't want to be anything else and I certainly wouldn't want to deny my humanity by attempting to subdue my natural emotions. That's how Christians punish themselves. I don't need to punish myself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
sweetsymphony
I must add that I respect everyone's beliefs, too.

You:

a) have not given this statement much thought
b) are lying
c) are delirious

yes, that person's actions are shaped according to his want. it's like that thing in the matrix when they're talking about how the choices you make are already predetermined by your conditioning. that's just how thought operates. all you can do is try to understand it. unfortunately, people are constantly beating each other over the head with this idea that there is such a thing as right and wrong thought. they act according the idea, but then, of course, their actions become totally meaningless. it's like a rule for people whose brains are too desensitized to see a certain situation clearly. they need rules, because their minds are not conditioned to react in the present moment. does that make sense? when confronted with a threat, each person will switch over to his conditioned dummy response to avoid pain. in the case of the rescuer, the pain would be the thought of letting a person burn to death.

Geenh said:
Do you truly think that the person running into the building is doing it for pleasure?

Whew! What ARE you on about? You're looking far too deeply into something that is obvious. Right and wrong exsists. Accept it.

infinity, i liked it. it may be contrived and meant to pull at your heart strings, but that is good. i don't want to be cynical or dispassionate about life. i choose to believe we are more than gigantic paramecia jostling around reacting to stimuli.

Geenh said:
Whew! What ARE you on about? You're looking far too deeply into something that is obvious. Right and wrong exsists. Accept it.
It only exists in the human mind and even there it can be different from person to person based on culture and religion. Nature has no need for good or bad and the concept doesn't have any point there, you can't say that nature is good or bad. Nature simply is.

I agree with Bobby. There is no such thing as good or evil. They are simply adjectives. We only have concept of good and evil because you cannot have a society based on "evil" because it would be chaos and horrible to live in. So evil acts such as stealing and random killing are "bad" But really the universe just IS. There is no such thing as good or evil. Morality is a human construct.

"By morality the individual is taught to become a function of
the heard, and ascribe to himself value only as a function....Morality
is the heard instinct in the individual
." - Nietzsche

Bobby is right. I think he gave a bad example to prove his point :) But he is right. Say somebody slams the door in your face. He gets pleasure from being an arsehole. Say somebody holds the door open for you he gets pleasure from holding the door open. There is absolutely no difference in either act. The only difference is one is labelled bad and the other is good. The only reason for this distinction is so that our society can function.

We live in that society, therefore, good and evil exist.

You can say that the Universe just is, and I agree - in the bigger picture of existence, there is no good and evil, plain and simple. But us humans created this reality for us, this construct in which we live and function, and we must assess reality according to that construct.

In the world we live in, the world we created, in our reality, there is good and evil. Denying good and evil would be like denying the world we live in.

Cheers

Not at all :)

It's simply a fact of how you define those things. It exists but not in the way that we think of them. As you said, the universe just IS and there is nothing else. Morality ( good and evil ) don't stem from some magical force. They are simply actions of an individual. The nun that devotes her life to helping kids and the murder and rapist are one and the same motivation. We just label it "good" and "evil" when there is no such thing. There are only actions that stem from certain factors of being human. It gives me pleasure to hurt somebody. It gives me pleasure to help somebody. There is totally no difference and yet we feel the need to label them as different. To give them some special word as if there is some magical force at work. One being a force of "Good" and one being a force of "Evil" there is no such thing.

Back