• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The know by Martina Cole

M

moonshot

Has anyone read this book? I picked it up half price in a local book shop and thought I give it a try as Martina Cole`s books always seen to be in the best sellers list.
I am on page 90 and I am getting bored. Is she an aquired taste? With over 600 pages, do I quit now or is the best yet to come.

I have read all martina coles books and carnt wait for her new book to come out! But shes one of them you either like her books or hate her! Try and stick with it though if your only on page 90,it gets better! :D

New to this forum and just wondering if you managed to finish the Know?
I've read alot of Martina Cole too and cant wait for the Take to be published in October. My favourite is Dangerous Lady-though as ruby said you either love her or hate her!

claire29 said:
New to this forum and just wondering if you managed to finish the Know?
I've read alot of Martina Cole too and cant wait for the Take to be published in October. My favourite is Dangerous Lady-though as ruby said you either love her or hate her!
I also wondered if moonshot finished The Know!
I would like to know what she/he thought!
I am glad there is someone else who likes Martina Cole! :)

Finished, The Know

I did finish The Know.
This is the first Martina Cole book I have read. There is to much swearing in the book, loosing any impact the odd swear word may have had on the story. Having said that, the first 500 pages are real page turners and you will not want to put the book down. Unfortunately the ending seems rushed and ill thought out, killing off five or six characters in the last 100 pages. The police are made out to be rather helpless in this story which only adds to the ending being less plausible.
I would be interested to hear from others who have read more Martina Cole books which is her best?

I think that Martina Cole tends to portray the police in a negative light because she centres around gangland London. As I said my favourite MC book is Dangerous Lady and that is about a gangster family in the sixties/seventies. Then there is the sequel Mauras Game, which wasn't quite as good in my opinion but it rounded everything up quite well. I found she moved away from this aspect in her later books but from what I've read hopefully her new one will be a return to her old style.

Martine Cole another try!

I will give Martine Cole another try and I will read `Dangerous Lady`, on your recommendation. I have just finished Nicci French`s Land of the Living. Again another page turner but with a slightly weak ending, I thought. I have just started my first Barbara Vine book....so far so good. Have you read any Barbara Vine?

I have not read any Barbara Vine books!

But try Manasue Heller!

Shes on the lines of Martina cole!

But not as much swearing!

moonshot said:
I have just started my first Barbara Vine book....so far so good. Have you read any Barbara Vine?

moonshot, I will be interested to hear what you think of Barbara Vine! Which one are you reading? She is one of those authors whose books I would buy sight-unseen. She's really outstanding.

I am reading Barbara (pseudonym of Ruth Rendell) Vine`s , King Solomon`s Carpet. It was the winner of the 1991 CWA Gold Dagger Award. I have never read a Ruth Rendell or Barbara Vine book before; I prefer books without the same main character in each. Barbara Vine`s are like that, each book is a one off story. I have only read a couple of chapters, but so far so good, it looks like it will be an interesting story, it has me gripped.

As Ruth Rendell, she writes the Inspector Wexford series,which are okay (under any name Vine/Rendell is a masterly writer, but when she is Barbara Vine she is very, very good.

She writes what is referred to as "psychological suspense". You won't forget her characters right away.

Back