• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Light in the Closet (1100 words)

sirmyk

It's close to Halloween, so I thought I would bring out some of my short stories to share with all of you. Please comment and critique as harshly as you so desire.

THE LIGHT IN THE CLOSET

by Michael Bailey

There was a strange man in my room last night, wearing only black (a trench coat I think) with a hood covering his head. He’s a boogeyman.

A silhouette was all I could muster this time, thanks to the full moon glaring through the window at his back, but I think he wore military boots again, muddy ones. I knew they were muddy because of the dirty footprints that were left on the carpet after he went home; I had to clean up the dirty floor the next morning. I do every time he visits me in the night. If I don’t my mom blames the mess on me and I get in trouble.

This man comes to visit at least once a week and I can never tell whom this outsider is, or why he is so interested in me. He just walks out from my closet some nights, stands over my bed for a while, occasionally hours, and then goes back in, to his home in my walk-in closet.

At least he turned off the light in the closet last night. Sometimes he leaves it on all night and I wake up and see the outline of the closet door glowing in the dark room and have to hide under the covers to make it go away so I can catch sleep. I wait until morning to turn it off. I’m only ten after all, and things like that still scare me. Sometimes I’m too afraid to peek out from under my covers at night to see if he’s there at all.

In the daytime the closet is only a closet and nothing more. It holds my clothes, shoes, and some other junk. How someone could live in there I’ll never understand, especially in the nighttime. It’s only a four-by-eight closet and my stuff takes up most of the room. There are definitely many places to hide, a few nooks, a couple crannies, yet it’s very small. There are two bars that go across, one on each side to hang clothes from, a shelf or two, and a chain-pull light (a bulb poking down) centered on the ceiling. Sometimes I wonder as I’m choosing an outfit, if he’s hiding behind some of my clothes, but I never see feet anywhere underneath, or muddy boots for that matter. That’s another strange thing: the mud I clean up some mornings stops at the door; inside the closet, the carpet is always clean. I’ve looked for him in the closet before by sliding my things around, and have even moved all my clothes to my bed once, but only during daylight (each time my bedroom door was ajar in case I needed to make a run for it) and each time there was no one.

Someday he’ll show me his face. I think he’s scared of me, sort of, because he never shows me his face. Hopefully it’s not too scary like the rest of his body. These last few years he has never shown me his face, not once; it’s always hidden by the shadows. He also never says anything to me; he just looms there, gangly. His arms hang low and pendulum back and forth at his knees. His body is quite tall, even as he slouches like a question mark, which he punctuates with his heavy, dirt-caked boots. I can hear him breathing usually, like he’s out of breath, or fatigued. But he never hurts me, or touches me, nothing like that; he’s a boogeyman, not a child molester.

Closing my eyes to make him go away never works as he stands above me, glaring down with what I can only imagine are black eyes; upon opening my own blue eyes, he is always still around, his black figure towering over my small, shivering form under the sheets. Whenever he visits my bedroom gets extremely cold. Sometimes I can see his breath puffing out like he’s smoking a cigarette or something, but it’s only the cold he brings. The coldness comes from the closet. I know this because I’ve looked over before to see the mist or fog or whatever it is pouring out from the open door. Whenever he opens the closet door to visit, he leaves it open until he is done, and there is always cold rolling out.

The first time I saw him I was only eight years and eight months of age. I remember waking from a horrific dream of running through a dead field of some grain while being chased by a werewolf out for my blood, and just before I woke up I tripped over a rock in the way and determined it to not be a rock at all but a human skull, all broken apart and smiling like a jack-o-lantern, and the beast chasing me was panting and following my trail, getting closer and closer as the stalks broke under its feet. Turning, I saw the red eyes of the werewolf bearing down on me, and when I screamed in the dream it woke me up and I screamed aloud in my bedroom, which was completely dark at the time, except for the luminous shine coming out from the open closet door, and standing over me was the black shape of the boogeyman, and so I screamed a third time as loud as I could.

My mom’s pounding footsteps could be heard as she bounded down the hall to check in on me, and the stranger never even budged as she approached; he only stood there, as he always does. When my bedroom door opened my concerned mother flipped on the lights, causing me to look her way. “What is it?” she panicked. “There’s...” I started and pointed a finger, but upon turning my head back to the stranger, I found he was gone and I was only pointing to the empty window a ways away. Looking to the closet door, I also found it empty, and likewise closed. After a long moment of awkward silence she assumed I had only had a nightmare and flipped the lights back off. She closed my bedroom door without saying another word. Her muffled footsteps could be heard as she tiredly walked down the hall to my parent’s room. Wondering whether or not it had only been a dream, I bravely threw a peek to the closet door. The door was closed, but that thin line of bluish-white devilishly outlined its perimeter, with that foggy mist rolling out underneath. The closet light was on, the strange man waiting.

I don't think the voice of the narrator is really ten years old. There were words and phrases in there that I can't hear a ten year old saying. One that comes to mind was military - an adult, yes; but I'd expect a child to say army. The pendulum metaphor is too much, as is silhouette and perimeter.

I think you're narrator is too exact on the details. If I were to think about a child dealing with details then I'd expect them to be more hazy (since the events are at night and the child would be tired) and explained more by the imagination than explained for what they actually are.

that was enjoyable to read, thanks. i agree with what stewart says except for the detail, as a kid i remember babbling to my grandmother and my mother at nite after being frightened by something, in all the little details.

liktareadmore63 said:
i remember babbling to my grandmother and my mother at nite after being frightened by something, in all the little details.

Yes, frightened by something. Details are fine when you are unsure (it was like this, and it moved like that, and it did this so I did that) but when you are more aware of things the imagination fades and you are left with what actually happens. And you can more effectively summarise what has happened than what you think has happened.

I think more imagination on behalf of this narrator would work, more of an effort to explain the details rather than being so absolute about them.

heh after i read your reply, i read over it again. i see what your saying now, about the certainty. as opposed to being frightened and babbling.

Stewart said:
I don't think the voice of the narrator is really ten years old. There were words and phrases in there that I can't hear a ten year old saying.
Thanks for pointing this out, Stewart. It seems there is a twenty-six year old stuck in my ten year old main character. And she keeps a notepad with her in bed.

After reading through this story again with this observation, I found dozens of words and phrases a ten year old would never use (muster, military (army is much better!), silhouette, whom, occasionally, four-by-eight closet, choosing an outfit, pendulum, punctuates, fatigued, upon, towering, determined, approached, luminous, concerned, panicked, a ways away, awkward, assumed, muffled, devilishly outlined its perimiter).

Children know (or should know) about child molesters, no?

I wanted the little tike to babble, but I will try to include more imaginitive descriptions in the second draft.

smirky, even though you are totally letting me down on the therapy front, I'm going to offer an observation here.

You're going outside the boy's perceptions too much. The whole paragraph about the mother does this. Wouldn't he just say "mom busted into the room and said, "what's going on in here?"" instead of all that observation of pounding of footsteps, bounding down the hall, the fact that she's 'concerned' , how does he know what she assumed?, and the fact that she's 'tired' afterwards. These are all outside what that boy would think and feel, they are the author's voice intruding into the scene.

For instance, he would never say 'her muffled footsteps could be heard as she tiredly walked . . ." He'd say something like "She closed the door, leaving me in the dark. I felt her move away down the hall, heard her door close." And before that, dialogue would work a lot better than the kid's 'summation' of a remembered conversation.

More to the point, it's sort of an ordinary story about an ordinary fear, without any idiosyncracies of its own. These things always have unique features in real life. Does the man look like someone the boy's seen before? Is he related to something the boy's been told? Does the boy have a spell or talisman against the man? What does the boy think the man wants? Does the man smell like feral cats? Is he known to be evil, or is that open to question?

Also, why doesn't the boy tell the mother? It's okay that he doesn't, but he must have a reason why not? Is he known to lie and exaggerate? Is his mother mean? Maybe the boy has something else to hide?

This story is something I was just playing around with after my wife left on the walk-in closet light one night. The light inside had a blue hue. When I turned off the light at my bed the entire room went black, except for that eerie outline of the closet door. I couldn't sleep so I came up with this...

But I had in mind that the main character was a young girl... oops.

Damn you're good, novella. You should go ahead and pay up, smirky; novella really does earn her pay around here.

sirmyk said:
This story is something I was just playing around with after my wife left on the walk-in closet light one night. The light inside had a blue hue. When I turned off the light at my bed the entire room went black, except for that eerie outline of the closet door. I couldn't sleep so I came up with this...

Yeah, I figured something like that. No harsh critique intended. Buds?

novella said:
Yeah, I figured something like that. No harsh critique intended. Buds?
I never take critiques as harsh... unless a critique is simply "You're writting sux!!!" or some similar crap comment. And haven't we always been buds, or at least a head and goiter sharing the same neck?

Edit: I may continue and see where the story takes me.

Back