• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The MAN Booker Prize 2006

Who will win the MAN Booker Prize 2006

• Kiran Desai: The Inheritance Of Loss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kate Grenville: The Secret River

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M.J. Hyland: Carry Me Down

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Sarah Waters: The Night Watch

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Edward St. Aubyn: Mother's Milk

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Hisham Matar: In The Country Of Men

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I suppose I'm lucky in that I've got all six of the books now shortlisted and don't need to go out an buy any more, although the Claire Messud, Mary Lawson, and Barry Unsworth novels interest me enough to read them. I'm patient enough to wait for the paperbacks though.

So I've read two of those shortlisted and I honestly can't see why Matar's In The Country Of Men is there. It just didn't know whart sort of book it was meant to be. The plus side, however, is that it might now fetch a better price on eBay than I initially expected due to it being in the last six.

M.J. Hyland's Carry Me Down was well worth reading, in a Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha sort of way, although Doyle's treatment was much more efficient. That said, this was one of those from the longlist that I'd read I thoroughly expected to make the cut.

Before I read Edward St. Aubyn's Mother's Milk, which is fast becoming the favourite (although Sarah Waters' The Night Watch will probably be the popular favourite in a Mitchell-free shortlist) I feel that I would be best served to finish the last chapter in the Patrick Melrose trilogy, Some Hope, before seeing where Patrick is now.

With Kate Grenville and Kiran Desai's novels, I have no opinion. And I'm not looking forward to reading The Night Watch due to a number of reviews citing the writing as good but the execution pointless.

Ho hum, another year! Let's hope the judges make a good choice this year.

I haven't read any Lawson but I know a few people that read Crow Lake and they greatly enjoyed the book. I can't say much about their reading level or tastes as I really don't know. Being an ON girl she has decent exposure around here.

Someone on the temporary Booker forum was saying they thought her new novel is great. It's out at the end of the month over here. But, since she didn't make the last six, I'll probably read Crow Lake first.

The Other Side of the Bridge is not yet out over here either. I guess there's nothing really wrong with it but something about a book that isn't even available yet that is listed for a prize irks me.

Especially when, like I do, you like to play along and read a number from the longlist before the final six are announced. Having this one eliminated without having had the chance to agree or disagree with the judges just plain sucks.

Kiran Desai wins it. Almost every review I have read of the Inheritance of Loss says that it's... well... a bit crap. Does the subject matter and the current political climate explain its win?

I tried reading this when it came out and put it aside after ten pages. It didn't grab me, but that may have been because I had plunged into it straight from another book and was still thinking of that one. I suppose I will be giving it a second chance.

I haven't read any Lawson but I know a few people that read Crow Lake and they greatly enjoyed the book. I can't say much about their reading level or tastes as I really don't know. Being an ON girl she has decent exposure around here.

Crow Lake was actually the book that Hamilton Library used for it's One City, One Book thing last year.

Back