• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Mist

eyez0nme

Guess what's coming out?

Stephen King's short story adaptation, the Mist.

Finally, something to look forward too.

For a second there, I thought you'd forgotten to use the word "crap" in a Stephen King post. Thanks for reinstating my faith in your predictability.

Actually, the movie is looking like it could have a shot. Frank Darabont directing is usually a good sign when it comes to King, and the trailer, while far from spectacular, doesn't exactly ooze awfulness either. I doubt it'll be a masterpiece, but I always thought the story was one of King's best...

Yes, but the majority of King's stories do not translate well on screen.

For it is not grounded on reality, rather on supernatural corniness.

Just saw the trailer yesterday. Looks awesome. Haven't read the actual story yet and I don't plan to for awhile, but in time I'll pick it up (busy with a war novel right now).

The Mist is one of Stephen King's best novellas imo. A great story with some wonderful characters. I'm looking forward to this film adaption, especially given the people they've got onboard.

Yeah, I talked about this in another thread. Just a few months ago I happened to start reading Skeleton Crew and "The Mist" scared the hell out of me. And when I finished it I thought, "Wonder why they never made a movie out of this one?"

Then lo and behold, a week or so later I found an Internet article saying a movie version was coming out this year. :eek:

I saw the trailer when we went to the remake of Halloween and I thought it looked good. You can bet I'll be seeing it in the theater.

And the ending was not "crap" by any means. If anything it left me wanting more.

According to preview screenings, the ending is different than the book's. First time in a while that I'm looking forward to seeing a King film adaptation.

According to preview screenings, the ending is different than the book's. First time in a while that I'm looking forward to seeing a King film adaptation.

Yeah, I read that somewhere, and I wish I hadn't. I like to know as little as possible about a movie before I see it, which is why I never read reviews before seeing the movie.

Finally got to see this last night.

OK, so "The Mist" is one of my favourite Stephen King stories, and I hardly dared have high hopes for this adaptation despite Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption) being behind it. And overall, it was pretty much what I expected: so-so. The idea is very good - a bunch of people are trapped together by a disaster of unknown origin and proportions, and under pressure from outside (by rather cheesy CGI monsters) they start turning on each other; paranoia strikes deep. Problem is that it all seems to come out of nowhere, as if they're ready to jump on each other even before the monsters strike and would have done the same if... say, if the doors had stopped working. ("Do you think we should call a locksmith?" "NO! IT'S THE END TIMES! HUMAN SACRIFICE NOW! KONG! KONG! KONG!") Once it's established it works pretty well and the drama inside the mall pretty much writes itself (even if the characters are pretty one-dimensional); it's more the road leading up to it that's much too quickly taken, despite the 2-hour running time.

And the same goes for the ending. While Darabont deserves applause for actually going there, it's a shame that the impact of it is lessened by the fact that it would have worked so much better if he'd let it mature for a few minutes - as it is, it just feels VERY sudden.
"Ooops, we're out of gas. Let's kill ourselves immediately."

There's a good movie in here somewhere trying to get out. I can almost make it out in the fog. A strong 2/5 or a weak 3/5... not sure.

I liked it. Best parts were definitely inside the store as the tension built between the forming factions. The creatures were kinda cheesy and the ending was crap. It did happen kinda fast after the escape scenes and the 'action' involving the religious faction leader. I haven't read the novella though. Haven't read anything by King since Pet Semetary. Should remedy that.

I like the 'unseen' monster terrorizing Manhattan in Cloverfield much better.

Back