• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The most famous you've never read

direstraits

Okay, who's the most famous/renowned/acclaimed/hyped author that you've always wanted to read, but haven't found time to get around to? You know, that someone who everyone's talking about, or that pioneer writer who 'tranformed the genre'? You want to read it, you just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Example. I've never read Philip K Dick [banana flung from audience, ducks just in time]. I've heard all about his contributions to scifi, but never got around to him. Another is Isaac Asimov [another banana, whistles overhead]. I got his Foundation, but haven't read a page. Oh, wait, I've read his short stories, but it's his Foundation and Robot stories that he's known for.

Someone more contemporary then. Okay, I've never read RA Salvatore's Icewind Dale. Supposedly 'most beloved of all fantasy characters', and I can't even spell Drizzt right.

Your turn.

ds

direstraits said:
Okay, who's the most famous/renowned/acclaimed/hyped author that you've always wanted to read, but haven't found time to get around to? ds

Most of them, I think! I would really like to get more into sci-fi and fantasy, but am unsure who to start with. I know the big names such as Philip K Dick, Asimov, Eddings, Arthur C Clarke etc, but have read none of them! This is because a) I'm not sure which authors I will like and b) I already have over 50 books from authors I already know on my TBR pile, so I'd better not start any more. In fact, I only read Lord of the Rings the year before the film came out. :rolleyes:

for me, it's Isaac Asimov. i've always wanted to read his books but they either aren't carried at the little shop i used to buy from, or i saw another i wanted more. i will get around to reading I, Robot by the end of this year. LOL

I can say this, Halo, read Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama, because that is really good. It's like being there with them when the characters go exploring in Rama, and it's so strange. Go get it.

I have also read Eddings, and it's a bit of a mixed bag. I didn't think it was anything to shout about, so if you wanna listen to me (grin), then leave that in the back burner for now until you run out of Canavans, at least. :D

Jenem, I just remembered that I've got his I, Robot. Bought it so many years ago with in a hardback that also features John Wyndham's Day of the Triffids, Arthur C Clarke's 2001 Space Odyssey. I've never opened the book. :eek:

Btw has anyone read Wyndham's The Chrysalids? Brilliant book.

ds

Never read any Dan Brown (& we all know how hyped up The Davinci Code is ;) ) -oops, not really science fiction/fantasy

And I've only read Tolkien's Fellowship of the Ring and only a few pages of Two Towers.

direstraits said:
I can say this, Halo, read Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama, because that is really good. It's like being there with them when the characters go exploring in Rama, and it's so strange. Go get it.

Thanks for the recommendation, ds! I will look it up on Amazon.

direstraits said:
I have also read Eddings, and it's a bit of a mixed bag. I didn't think it was anything to shout about, so if you wanna listen to me (grin), then leave that in the back burner for now until you run out of Canavans, at least. :D

The last two Canavans were delivered today, so they should keep me quiet for a few days! :)

The only book I've read by HG Wells is The Island of Dr Moreau, hardly his most famous work. Have heard the War of the Worlds musical though :)

Jenem said:
for me, it's Isaac Asimov. i've always wanted to read his books but they either aren't carried at the little shop i used to buy from, or i saw another i wanted more. i will get around to reading I, Robot by the end of this year. LOL
Hi, Jen. Asimov is one of my favourite sci-fi authors. Not the greatest writer, but the stories and concepts (Foundation and Robot series) are great. I, Robot is a pretty quick read - a series of interconnected stories and not really a novel. If you're unsure, maybe pick up a used copy or borrow from the library.

I've never read any Eddings. What's a good one to try?

ell

direstraits said:
Jenem, I just remembered that I've got his I, Robot. Bought it so many years ago with in a hardback that also features John Wyndham's Day of the Triffids, Arthur C Clarke's 2001 Space Odyssey. I've never opened the book. :eek:

Btw has anyone read Wyndham's The Chrysalids? Brilliant book.

ds
i've read The Chrysalids twice- it's excellent. Day of the Triffids is one of my favorites. i also liked 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I enjoyed the Wyndham books more.

Thanks, Ell, I didn't realize it was less of a novel than short stories. ah well, I'm sure I'll enjoy it anyway. i'll get it cheap off eBay or Amazon.

Ell...

If it's fantasy for Eddings, then normally you'd start with The Belgariad, of which the first book is called The Pawn of Prophecy. After the 5 books of The Belgariad it continues with another series of 5 books called the Mallorean. The Belgariad and Mallorean series(es) follows the exploits of a boy (Garion) who realizes his destiny to be a powerful wizard leader figure.

Another place to start for Eddings is the Elenium and Tamuli series of stories. Each are a set of 5 books which follows a fellow who isn't a wizard, but a warrior. I understand he has magic user acquantances. The hero here is called Sparhawk. The first book in the Elenium is called the Diamond Throne.

Some readers like Sparhawk over Garion.

I know I probably massacred the descriptions and stories of the books, but I try my best. :)

ds

Has anyone read the Ender Wiggin series by Orson Scott Card.
Fantastic and definately a tearjerker at times -though I'm rather soft and cry at anything whilst I'm reading!

ds, thanks. I never realized all Edding's series were so long! Does he have anything representative that can be a stand-alone within a series' or just a stand-alone novel?

ell

He has one stand-alone novel - The Redemption of Athalaus (or something like that :rolleyes: ). It certainly is representitive in that everything he writes is almost exactly the same. Slightly worse than his other stuff too. :)
Don't let me put you off though, tons of people enjoy his books, so I suggest you give them a try, but in my opinion, they're trash.

You have never read Philip K. Dick :mad: [flungs a banana in your general direction]

Although sci-fi is a genre i really love, i also haven't read much of the more famous or "critically acclaimed" authors!! I have never read Arthur C. Clark, Stanislaw Lem, Isaac Asmiov, ....
I have read, at least one, Douglas Adams, George Orwell, Aldous Huxley, Kurt Vonnegut and Nevil Shute.
Probably some more, which i have forgotten right now ;)

Never read Margaret Atwood, but would love to. Ooops! It's not sci-fi, is it? Not a spoiler, I promise.

Spiceymunkey said:
Has anyone read the Ender Wiggin series by Orson Scott Card.
Fantastic and definately a tearjerker at times -though I'm rather soft and cry at anything whilst I'm reading!
My boyfriend read them all.

Oponn said:
He has one stand-alone novel - The Redemption of Athalaus (or something like that :rolleyes: ). It certainly is representitive in that everything he writes is almost exactly the same. Slightly worse than his other stuff too. :)
Thanks for the laugh, Oponn! :D

ds

Harry, your banana missed.

Who's Stanislaw Lem? :D I have problems finding his book in the shops, much less read him.

Douglas Adams! I have his entire collection, but it's currently packed in a box somewhere awaiting my library. I haven't reached him yet! [bananas from every direction].

Eugen... Atwood's The Blind Assassin is really surreal. It's subtle and emotional in equal measures.

ds

Back