• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The most powerful films

the number one movie would have to be Shindler's List

other movies wuold include White Oleander, A beautiful Mind, Virgin Suicides, 28 Days

The Joy Luck Club hit a very personal nerve. I'm a wuss and cry over anything, but this movie made me sob - great wet, slurpy, hiccupping sobs. Very embarassing, but just couldn't help myself. I've subsequently seen it another half dozen times or so and I still cry.

ell :eek:

A river runs through it
La fille sur la pont
In the mood for love
Gone with the wind
Casablanca
The usuall suspects
LA Confidential
Braveheart
Jeux d'enfants
And sure... well most of these were not life-changing films, but they did leave a strong impression on me, even if it was just for a few hours.

At the moment I can think of three.

It's a Wonderful Life.
A Beautiful Mind.
and The Shawshank Redemption.

Rhapsody said:
At the moment I can think of three.

It's a Wonderful Life.
A Beautiful Mind.
and The Shawshank Redemption.
It's A Wonderful Life was certainly a movie for the ages with a message. Jimmie Stewart was cast perfectly for his role.

muggle said:
It's A Wonderful Life was certainly a movie for the ages with a message. Jimmie Stewart was cast perfectly for his role.
One of my all time favourite movies. My wife bought it for me DVD.

Every time a bell rings an angel gets it's wings.

I can remember sitting and staring at the screen after the credits rolled for Dead Poet's Society. I still love that movie and the challenge of the message.

Recently I have been struck by Crash (no pun intended) as it deals with our interconnectedness and dependency on each other. Also What the BLEEP Do We Know? caused my head to spin for more than a couple of days.

Good stuff

American History X had the most impact on me of any movie I'd ever seen. Very difficult to watch again, but it's such a powerful movie.

Others would be:
Requiem for a Dream
Dogfight
Dead Poet's Society
The Fisher King

I'd have to say:
The Boondock Saints
Identity
Black Hawk Down
Saving Private Ryan
American Beauty
The Sixth Sense

Theres probably more but these are the ones off the top of my head which probably matters more anyway.:)

• Saving Private Ryan
  • All Quite on the Western Front
  • It's a Wounderful Life

Those movies are the ones that have a lot of meaning to me and I think they are very powerful....

Stigmata
Birth
Butterfly Effect
Leon
I am Sam
The Green Mile
The Machinist
Pearl Harbour
Braveheart

giddieon said:
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • All Quite on the Western Front
  • It's a Wounderful Life

Those movies are the ones that have a lot of meaning to me and I think they are very powerful....
Those are good choices IMHO.

Crash did that to me, it made me rethink how I treat people and how I act around them, and what others thought of me. And made me think of how we are all bonded together in this world.

Back